Just an observation... re: Dan Hurley | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Just an observation... re: Dan Hurley

C

Chief00

Jerome Allen is an assistant coach for the Celtics and just got a huge show cause from the ncaa. If Ollie is good enough, someone in the NBA would hire him.
Just to be clear, KO’s NBA issue isn’t the NCAA show cause, it’s the frivolous and endless employer lawsuit.

Reaction Score
Of the year?

Honestly, I am not sure I can remember a player coming as far as he has.

Give him most improved in all of recorded history.
UConn wise I think its either Whaley or Toraino Walker's 'where did he come from!?' emergence in the BE Tournament way back when.

Reaction Score
Bullsh**. If KO told them not to do it they wouldn’t have done it. He signed off on it. You can understand hiS “WHY” and also completely disagree with his “HOW”. It’s impossible to defend the way he’s moving at this point
I hear you but would you leave $10 million on the table if you felt you were screwed? Its not chump change, and who knows a settlement may be reached to bring it to an end.

Just saying whether right or wrong, its understandable why he's his lawyers are pursuing it. His wife got a lot of alimony loot, he still has a family and he's out of a good job. That money would help his situation (now and forever) significantly.

Not a justification but a possible explanation.

Reaction Score
I hear you but would you leave $10 million on the table if you felt you were screwed? Its not chump change, and who knows a settlement may be reached to bring it to an end.

Just saying whether right or wrong, its understandable why he's his lawyers are pursuing it. His wife got a lot of alimony loot, he still has a family and he's out of a good job. That money would help his situation (now and forever) significantly.

Not a justification but a possible explanation.
His wife got a lot of alimony loot, he still has a family and he's out of a good job. That money would help his situation significantly.
KO is still a young man. The longer he pursues this "rape and pillage" path - or at least does not put reasonable guardrails on his lawyer's arguments - he is less likely to be employable in the future. Why piss away years of earning opportunity when his case is technically a loser? His attorney, and perhaps KO, grossly misjudged the administration's aversion to bad PR - assuming the school would settle (even with a strong case) for some significant fraction of $10 million. They didn't and were not bluffing.

pj

Reaction Score
I have come to realize that KO really did get a raw deal. He was hand picked to fill a role that he was ill equipped for. He was dealt a great hand initially, but he was unable to reload. He was basically doomed to fail long term.

A lot of people would like to get a raw deal that pays them $3 million per year.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Weren't we talking about Danny Hurley?

Good Heavens. The Boneyard could turn a thread about avocados into whether Ollie and UConn should settle.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Weren't we talking about Danny Hurley?

Good Heavens. The Boneyard could turn a thread about avocados into whether Ollie and UConn should settle.
It's a beautiful thing, right?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I think we should as a collective boneyard all have a few cocktails then reconvene in the chat room to express our true feelings about KO. It may not be constructive but it would be entertaining.
Rare instance of a terrible idea that could be just crazy enough to work, as long as the definition of "work" is fluid.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
KO is still a young man. The longer he pursues this "rape and pillage" path - or at least does not put reasonable guardrails on his lawyer's arguments - he is less likely to be employable in the future. Why piss away years of earning opportunity when his case is technically a loser? His attorney, and perhaps KO, grossly misjudged the administration's aversion to bad PR - assuming the school would settle (even with a strong case) for some significant fraction of $10 million. They didn't and were not bluffing.

You would sell your family members to a Bangkok brothel for $10 million, so don't complain that Ollie is doing any pillaging.

Do you know how rich people got and stay rich? By not walking away from $10 million.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Dan Hurley is clearly a basketball junkie; he was obviously raised with it and knows the game, inside and out, and understands the life lessons the game can teach. He is at once a fiery competitor and a man who wears his heart on his sleeve; one who genuinely cares for those around him. For me the most striking difference between Hurley and Ollie, is that Coach Hurley is a better motivator, and appears better able to build a collective camaraderie. Coach Hurley also has more coaching experience, whereas Kevin Ollie, though respected as player and assistant coach, was untested as a head coach. To be honest, hiring KO was a bigger risk than I think many people realized at the time. Personally, even though he was handpicked by Jim Calhoun, I was only cautiously optimistic, and my deeper concerns proved to be true in relatively short time. At the time, the popular notion was that Ollie's strength would be in his ability to recruit, but even with that he would still need to be able to assemble a team and inspire them to reach their highest potential which he never seemed to be able to do.

It is a messy and sad state of affairs as far as the falling out between KO and the University. I do hope there can be healing and reconciliation but it doesn't appear that will begin to happen anytime soon. My take on the legal aspect is that I want to see justice rendered; if that means KO is entitled to compensation, so be it. If not, then he needs to be able to move forward with his life. Hopefully, either way, there can be a good outcome. One thing that is troubling is KO's allegation of racial discrimination against the University, that he was treated differently than Calhoun would have been, because of race. That's an allegation that cuts deep. I don't know if that's just a ploy from his attorneys to throw as much stuff as they can against the wall, hoping something will stick or if it's actually the case, but such an allegation is tough to walk back. We'll see how it goes.

Reaction Score
All I can say is it's about time Ollie's lawsuit, his contract, his personal problems and his personal and professional peccadilloes were finally and fully addressed here. It was long overdue............maybe next week we could start one on Dom Perno?

Reaction Score
A lot of people would like to get a raw deal that pays them $3 million per year.
I would happily take a one million per year deal!!

Reaction Score
What's silly is the NCAA has already validated UConn's case for show cause. This is the defination of a nuisance lawsuit. He's just hoping to make it uncomfortable enough that UConn pays him to go away.

Reaction Score
The energy generated from emotions - must go somewhere. This is a form of 'displacement'. I'm more interested in the well being of the children - and they're not even mine.

C

Chief00

The energy generated from emotions - must go somewhere. This is a form of 'displacement'. I'm more interested in the well being of the children - and they're not even mine.
I care about KO too - he is just being guided down a really bad path by people who either don’t care about his best interest or are ignorant of what his true best interest is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom