Just an observation... re: Dan Hurley | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Just an observation... re: Dan Hurley

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t get into this with you if I hadn’t had a few cocktails after dinner tonight but, I did. I don’t disagree that Ollie violated his contract, nor do I disagree about burning bridges. However, he’s only burning bridges at UConn. The rest of the basketball world thinks he’s getting screwed because they all know cheating is prevalent and KO cheated very mildly. It is amazing how easily some of you are willing to give up $10,000,000 when it isn’t yours to give up. KO should fight until the end because he’ll probably get some money out of it and frankly, he probably should. Bill Self is getting paid, so is Sean Miller.
I think we should as a collective boneyard all have a few cocktails then reconvene in the chat room to express our true feelings about KO. It may not be constructive but it would be entertaining.

Reaction Score
I 100% see where Antg168 is coming from. I’m just not willing to completely vilify KO with that kind of money at stake. He’s gotta do what he’s gotta do.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t get into this with you if I hadn’t had a few cocktails after dinner tonight but, I did. I don’t disagree that Ollie violated his contract, nor do I disagree about burning bridges. However, he’s only burning bridges at UConn. The rest of the basketball world thinks he’s getting screwed because they all know cheating is prevalent and KO cheated very mildly. It is amazing how easily some of you are willing to give up $10,000,000 when it isn’t yours to give up. KO should fight until the end because he’ll probably get some money out of it and frankly, he probably should. Bill Self is getting paid, so is Sean Miller.
Nobody in the basketball world will touch Ollie, hopefully his acupuncture thing works out.

Reaction Score
Nobody in the basketball world will touch Ollie, hopefully his acupuncture thing works out.

I’m sure he can get an assistant job somewhere fairly major. He’s got plenty of people that would vouch for him. He was an exemplary NBA player, won a national championship as a coach and by most accounts, he handled himself like a pro for 22 of a 24 year career.

C

Chief00

Coach Hurley eats, breathes and sleeps basketball. I couldn't be happier with who we have leading the program.
People use to laugh when Chief talked about the #24/7Grind.
Now they know because they have started seeing the results, but all this exhausting work has been going on non stop for 2 years.

Reaction Score
People use to laugh when Chief talked about the #24/7Grind.
Now they know because they have started seeing the results, but all this exhausting work has been going on non stop for 2 years.

Considering his dad never sent us anyone. He owes it to us to work his butt off.

C

Chief00

I’m sure he can get an assistant job somewhere fairly major. He’s got plenty of people that would vouch for him. He was an exemplary NBA player, won a national championship as a coach and by most accounts, he handled himself like a pro for 22 of a 24 year career.
Well, it’s been 2 years tying himself up in knots with this law firm that keeps making this case more important in his life, since they have burnt every other bridge. At some point it’s on KO, for not figuring this out.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

Employers tend to not want to hire employees who engage in frivolous, endless duration employment lawsuits. Why would any employer make that choice especially since most NBA coaches do get fired sooner or later?

Reaction Score
Employers tend to not want to hire employees who engage in frivolous, endless duration employment lawsuits. Why would any employer make that choice especially since most NBA coaches do get fired sooner or later?
Jerome Allen is an assistant coach for the Celtics and just got a huge show cause from the ncaa. If Ollie is good enough, someone in the NBA would hire him.

Reaction Score
Jerome Allen is an assistant coach for the Celtics and just got a huge show cause from the ncaa. If Ollie is good enough, someone in the NBA would hire him.
Then why hasn’t it happened yet? The longer he’s out of basketball the less likely he gets hired I would think.

Reaction Score
Then why hasn’t it happened yet? The longer he’s out of basketball the less likely he gets hired I would think.
Maybe he is not that good at coaching basketball. Him not being hired in the NBA has nothing to do with this litigation. They don’t care.

or maybe he doesn’t want it. I have no idea. Other than that the nba could care less about this lawsuit.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
1 more time. You all keep bringing up his motivations. I can’t argue against anyone’s motivations. He’s going about it horribly. That’s what’s painting him in a horrible light right now

There is very little most of the posters on this board wouldn't do for $10 million, so everyone needs to stop attacking Ollie for wanting to get paid.

Reaction Score
There is very little most of the posters on this board wouldn't do for $10 million, so everyone needs to stop attacking Ollie for wanting to get paid.
Especially, if they feel they are deserving of that 10 million, right or wrong. Both sides should have settled a long time ago. Instead, Ollie is at a point of no return.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Especially, if they feel they are deserving of that 10 million, right or wrong. Both sides should have settled a long time ago. Instead, Ollie is at a point of no return.

It's a fight over money. There is rarely a point of no return. There may be a point where both sides are incorrectly calculating the probability of winning outright, which could be causing the problem, or if there are misaligned incentives with either party.

Ollie's lawyers are likely strong incented to settle, and they will advise him accordingly. On the other hand, the school's lawyers, or members of the UConn administration that have influence in this process, may have incentives that diverge from the school's. The biggest scumbag lawyers in the world are civil defense attorneys, because they will milk a case for years to run up fees, regardless of what is best for their client.

dantheman

@instorrsnow
Reaction Score
FYI- its been reported and is standard practice that the arbitration clause calls for attorneys fees and costs to be awarded to the prevailing party. If Ollie wins $1, his attorneys would then submit their reported 7 figure bill to be added in addition to what the favorable ruling is. Should Ollie het zeroed, he is stuck with the Attorney General’s bill.

Second, Ollie could be found to have breached his contract and still prevail at arbitration, as the arbitrator has ruled that the professors collective bargaining agreement governs and supercedes the contract. Why this matters is that the CBA only allows for dismissal without severance for serious/significant misconduct, which is a significantly higher standard than a just breaching an employment contract.

Reaction Score
Well, it’s been 2 years tying himself up in knots with this law firm that keeps making this case more important in his life, since they have burnt every other bridge. At some point it’s on KO, for not figurging this out.
I love KO. But, his personal difficulties brought on the situation regarding his coaching status. He made some mistakes - really screwed up his life and family and now is pursuing an avenue of entitlement - tainted with pride. I don't know the 'legalities' or specifics of his contract but; I would recommend he get his 'real life' together first. Rather than throw a fit over money/contracts/whatever. I think his personal peace, sanity - and family should be his focus. But like most - he is allowing anger, revenge and bitterness drive his actions. I witness the man's personal health and responsibilities. (I know nothing of the contract or obligations - so I cannot speak to that.) Is achieving this result going to make him feel better? He needs to make sure his children are okay mentally and emotionally - after the debacle he brought on to his family. The lawsuit thing is merely just something I've heard a psychologist friend of mine call 'displacement'. He is trying funnel his emotions (anger, bitterness, revenge, disappointment, etc...) - somewhere - because punching wall is is not feeding the need. If a contract states he is to be paid - pay him. If not - don't. Justice and truth must survive. Personal feelings, emotions and being part of a prior team - don't matter. Enlisting others to stoke a media stunt for pressure - shows poor character. Oh, that's right - lawyers are involved... Kevin Ollie needs to make things right - with his family. KO, thefamily is more important - than your lawsuit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom