Just an observation... re: Dan Hurley | The Boneyard

Just an observation... re: Dan Hurley

Reaction Score
I always believed he was a terrific coach AND has the tentacles to bring in talent - and get this turned around. Listening to couple of people I know... they told me he was a great choice based upon a few things. I believed - and now witness the truths appearing. It 'feels' as though we are really rounding the bend. His passion on the sideline reminds me of someone else - I think - is pretty good. He also did something that JC did. Specifically, he announced that "you better get us now" - or something similar.Obviously implying - we're improving - and he sees it. Over the years I have heard JC make comments like these - and low and behold we did something great. Maybe a little Babe Ruth of basketball... (calling the shot). JC never seemed to disappoint when he said little comments like that. The man knew what he was doing - and surrounded himself with terrific people. He (they) built great teams and did some damage. This feels similar... a little bit. With regard to the way the team seems to be playing... If we were to have a hot night shooting and limit turnovers we definitely could beat any team in our league - maybe more. The 'feel' is coming back. And just one more observation... Roy Williams 11-17 Dan Hurley 16-12. I had to say this because I've caught such grief from a UNC in the last couple years. Who said - you are your record? Hurley, Whaley, CV and Bouk have become monsters! Love them!

Reaction Score
Coach Hurley eats, breathes and sleeps basketball. I couldn't be happier with who we have leading the program. We should end the regular season at 18-13, which is pretty good considering we only have 8 healthy scholarship players.

There is so much promise next season, especially if Polley can get healthy and be a contributor. Our backcourt is loaded and Whaley is playing better than we ever could have expected. The future is bright.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's not just his passion, it's his professionalism. He has a plan, the plan's working. He hired a great staff, people that can coach kids up. He walks his talk. Reminds me a bit of Jurgen Klopp.

Reaction Score
as both a liverpool and husky fan i can tell you that hurley and klopp are the exact same personalities on and off the court/pitch. both have excellent man management skills and breathe the sport they love with incredible passion

Reaction Score
oh man do I love the DH and JK comparisons!! Both of them have such a deep connection with their players who in turn love to give 110% in return.

YNWA

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Whaley should win "most improved player of the year". Should be a lock, and it would say something if two years in a row a Husky won it. But AAC may be stingy with awards to the Huskies since we are leaving the conference.
Assuming that Whaley doesn't regress in the next few games, any coach in the league, no matter how much they might want to downplay us, would have to know that he looks like an idiot if he votes for someone else. Isaiah has come from a level farther down the rotation than last year's MIP, and passed him out. Nuff Sed.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
what's Hurley's relationship with Calhoun like, if anyone knows?
Mutual respect. Kind of like JC and Geno back in the day. Respect, but not going to be golfing buddies. Different generations. Different mindsets.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Whaley should win "most improved player of the year". Should be a lock, and it would say something if two years in a row a Husky won it. But AAC may be stingy with awards to the Huskies since we are leaving the conference.
The way Whaley is clowning dudes one would hope they’ll recognize

Reaction Score
Coach Hurley eats, breathes and sleeps basketball. I couldn't be happier with who we have leading the program. We should end the regular season at 18-13, which is pretty good considering we only have 8 healthy scholarship players.

There is so much promise next season, especially if Polley can get healthy and be a contributor.
when is his timetable to come back?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Of the year?

Honestly, I am not sure I can remember a player coming as far as he has.

Give him most improved in all of recorded history.

Reaction Score
The irony for me is for the same reasons why I hated him as an opposing player, I love him as my coach. Hurley has a hall of fame pedigree with the swagger of a kid playing at Rucker. Just wait until we start winning titles at MSG, he will have his pick of elite players in the Northeast. There isn't a better current coach who can bring UConn back.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Of the year?

Honestly, I am not sure I can remember a player coming as far as he has.

Give him most improved in all of recorded history.
I wouldn't be surprised if no UConn player wins any award, no matter how deserving.

Reaction Score
I do believe he is the right choice and that is great for the program. However, I also believe circumstances also pushed him to be a better coach. He was stubborn with AG. You can call it loyal but he was forced to make a move. Tyler going down lead to the Bouk club. Akok getting injured lead to Whaley's insertion and he has blossomed.

He has coached his butt of through adversity and I would say is coaching much better now then when he had a full roster.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's closer than this. Hurley likes having JC around and has him speak to the team a lot.

Unlike someone else.

Love that JC is still involved. Perhaps Hurley becomes the JC of his generation? We can dream.

I have come to realize that KO really did get a raw deal. He was hand picked to fill a role that he was ill equipped for. He was dealt a great hand initially, but he was unable to reload. He was basically doomed to fail long term.

The Calhoun schism was inevitable. I get the sense that the Hurley-Calhoun relationship will take a far different path.

Reaction Score
What? He had all the help and support one could ever want. No need to continue this.

as klopp would say, we’re playing rock n roll basketball now. Buckle up

Reaction Score
I hate discussing this but life happened to KO. He did a great job with his wife beside him. Things happened, he lost his way.

I don’t entirely fault him for not wanting JC around. JC basically gifted him the job. That may have come with strings attached that KO found too much, especially while having issues at home. JC doesn’t have that power over Hurley. Hurley is his own man.

It is a shame we can’t just let KO back in the family and move on. He brought us a title only he could have won. I still love KO and I don’t at all blame him for fighting over 10 mill given the college coaching landscape.

Reaction Score
I hate discussing this but life happened to KO. He did a great job with his wife beside him. Things happened, he lost his way.

I don’t entirely fault him for not wanting JC around. JC basically gifted him the job. That may have come with strings attached that KO found too much, especially while having issues at home. JC doesn’t have that power over Hurley. Hurley is his own man.

It is a shame we can’t just let KO back in the family and move on. He brought us a title only he could have won. I still love KO and I don’t at all blame him for fighting over 10 mill given the college coaching landscape.
You don’t blame for for blatantly disrespecting Hurley at his home. He’s behaving like a scum bag

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom