July WNBA thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

July WNBA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Between the WNBA regular season and today's ASG, it's pretty clear that Kelsey Plum has become an elite pro player. She was clearly elite at Washington, but it took a few years in the W. As she commented in a recent article, her rehab from injury and subsequent workouts have put her at a point where she feels that she is the most fit player on the floor. That confidence extends into her play.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Between the WNBA regular season and today's ASG, it's pretty clear that Kelsey Plum has become an elite pro player.
I think she was there down the stretch last year. She averaged around 20 ppg after the Olympics break, including the post season.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I think she was there down the stretch last year. She averaged around 20 ppg after the Olympics break, including the post season.

Posts have dominated USA Basketball for a long time, but I feel like most of the new upcoming talent is at the guard spot: Plum, Young, Ionescu, Arike, Atkins, Copper, Paige, Caitlin Clark, Alisha Gray. All phenomenal talents.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
All Star break in the rear view mirror, big slate of games today. Storm beat Wings in an early one. We've seen the Aces blow leads before, but they appear to be working out some frustrations on the Lib. 53-28 at the half. Plum, Young and Wilson all in double figures.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Hold on, Aces are doing it again. Looks like Whitcomb went nuts behind the 3 point line in Q3 and 24 point lead is down to 8.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
LV is only getting scoring from 3 players. Plum, Wilson and Young have 54 of their 71.

Reaction Score
Between the WNBA regular season and today's ASG, it's pretty clear that Kelsey Plum has become an elite pro player. She was clearly elite at Washington, but it took a few years in the W. As she commented in a recent article, her rehab from injury and subsequent workouts have put her at a point where she feels that she is the most fit player on the floor. That confidence extends into her play.
Confident and hungry. I am so happy for Kelsey and the success she is having this season.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Aces had built the lead back up to 14, but Lib charging hard at the end. It's down to 3. Ionescu was hardly scoring...then all of a sudden she's up to 24.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Aces hold on 107-101. Their D is still awful. Gave up 35 or more in both quarters after halftime.

Plum and Ionescu tied for game high 27 (Sabrina must've had close to 20 in Q4). Wilson 23 pts/14 rebs, Young 23 pts/7 assists (most of that was FTs down the stretch), Gray 14. Howard 20 pts/11 reb, Whitcomb 17 off the bench.

Plaisance is getting a raw deal. She has easily been their best bench player this season. She got 3 minutes today. Not sure why Rupert and Stokes are eating all of her PT.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Looks like Atlanta-Chicago and Phoenix-Minnesota are both shootouts early in Q3.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Lynx on the verge of blowing a 13 pt 4th Q lead. 86-86 with 1 minute left

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sky blow out Atl in 4th Q. CP really dominant.

Reaction Score
Yes, I'm being petty, yes, the all-star game is not a real barometer, and yes, she has some nice defensive plays, but: Diggins was 1-9 and 1-6 from outside. I dare say even past-her-prime DT would have made more of an impact. Who's the clown now? Maybe the 'tude should follow the play that warrants it, rather than the other way around...
Lol it's literally an All Star game though. She's literally top 10 in Points, Assists, Steals and turnovers for the league and leads the team in all those categories. I'm not sure how that makes her a clown, it's the coach's job to not demean one player's accomplishment in order to raise another. Especially with a player that has been hard carrying for her team this season.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Lynx on the verge of blowing a 13 pt 4th Q lead. 86-86 with 1 minute left
Well, the Lynix blew the lead, but then won the 2nd OT period, 15-4, for a 118-107 win.
  • Three 30-pt. performances in this one: Aerial Powers of the Lynx gets right back on her super surfer after the All-Star break and shoots 13-24 from the field and 6-7 from the FT line. For Phoenix, Sophie Cunnigham explodes for 36 (13-20 overall, 6-11 from 3-pt. land and 4-5 from the FT line) and Skylar Diggins-Smith has 32 (11-28 overall, 8-11 from the FT line, 10 assists).
  • Sylvia Fowles and Jessica Shepard (off the bench) both had double doubles for the Lynx frontcourt: Fowles had 14 pts and 14 rebounds, while Shepard had 13 pts. and 12 rebounds.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Minny-Phoenix went 2 OT. 3 players w/ 30+ (and 1 more w/ 25). 2 for Phoenix, but unfortunately for them basically they had only 3 players scoring the entire game. 36 gotta be a career high for Sophie Cunningham. Powers had 35. Diggins-Smith 32, Banham 25. Lynx get the W.

6-11 in the standing are a complete log jam. All of them have 9 or 10 wins, and between 12 to 15 losses. Lot of competition for the last 3 playoff spots.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Lol it's literally an All Star game though. She's literally top 10 in Points, Assists, Steals and turnovers for the league and leads the team in all those categories. I'm not sure how that makes her a clown, it's the coach's job to not demean one player's accomplishment in order to raise another. Especially with a player that has been hard carrying for her team this season.
Show me where she demeaned SDS's accomplishments. This all just feels like middle school and if she wants to be a face of a franchise or the lead guard for Team USA, she should stop feuding and tweeting and focus on being a team player. Contrast her sour attitude with Plum, Ionescu, and Young, all of whom are likeable, liked by their teammates, and the likely face of the next generation of USA Guards. To me, the contrast was quite stark during the All-Star weekend.

Reaction Score
Show me where she demeaned SDS's accomplishments. This all just feels like middle school and if she wants to be a face of a franchise or the lead guard for Team USA, she should stop feuding and tweeting and focus on being a team player. Contrast her sour attitude with Plum, Ionescu, and Young, all of whom are likeable, liked by their teammates, and the likely face of the next generation of USA Guards. To me, the contrast was quite stark during the All-Star weekend.
Downplaying an event because it doesn't include one player is a slap in the face for everyone else who is actually involved. It's especially bad when your best player is involved in the event and your other franchise player who is stuck overseas is also being highlighted at said event. It was very unprofessional and it's makes matter worse when you look at the stats and realize that DT isn't even having a All-Star season this year to make such a scene.

People can feel however they want to feel about Skylar, but no one exhibition game takes away how well she's been playing this season. She's been playing like one of top guards in the league and is the main reason Phoenix is even remotely competitive.

Reaction Score
Downplaying an event because it doesn't include one player is a slap in the face for everyone else who is actually involved. It's especially bad when your best player is involved in the event and your other franchise player who is stuck overseas is also being highlighted at said event. It was very unprofessional and it's makes matter worse when you look at the stats and realize that DT isn't even having a All-Star season this year to make such a scene.

People can feel however they want to feel about Skylar, but no one exhibition game takes away how well she's been playing this season. She's been playing like one of top guards in the league and is the main reason Phoenix is even remotely competitive.
Not to mention this is a league that is trying to garner exposure as much as possible. No matter how you slice it this was very poor word choice from the rookie coach.

Reaction Score
Absolutely.

Imagine if Sky was presented with the teeny tiny MVP trophy, would she have been as gracious as Kelsey? Hmm. When I think of Sky I really never think of gracious.

That said @TheFarmFan makes the key point: Sky's been behaving not like the face of the franchise but like someone who has one foot out the door.

The contrast between Skyler and Plum is both informative and breathtaking. I can't imagine there are many Mercury fans who wouldn't make a straight trade in a New York minute. Plum oozes joy and Skyler oozes that cloud that always trailed Pigpen.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sky's been behaving not like the face of the franchise but like someone who has one foot out the door.

The contrast between Skyler and Plum is both informative and breathtaking. I can't imagine there are many Mercury fans who wouldn't make a straight trade in a New York minute. Plum oozes joy and Skyler oozes that cloud that always trailed Pigpen.
Actually that would be Tina Charles :rolleyes:

Skylar’s very intense, but her play on the floor suggests nothing of the sort. Anyone that has watched her play this season can see how she’s pretty much willed that team to victories and in even their losses she always looks like she gives her all out there.

From what I’ve seen from some of the Merc fans they seem to be very appreciative of her effort.

Reaction Score
Holy smokes! What time did the Sun & Fever play their game today? Also, hats off to Sophie and Skylar for keeping Phoenix in the game against Minnesota. Watching the game, as a Lynx fan, I never know what Lynx teams is going to show up. When the Lynx were up 13 with roughly 4 pr 5 minutes left in regulation, I actually thought that the team would win it, but it is Minnesota. Anyway, props to Sophie and Skylar. Mad respect for Rachel Banham and Aerial Powers. Aerial has been playing lights out the last 3 games or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom