July WNBA thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

July WNBA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
How about a shout out for Nneka? Playing about as well as at any point in her career. Team got off to a rough start but is really starting to come together, she's shown some real veteran leadership. Kudos to her.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
How about a shout out for Nneka? Playing about as well as at any point in her career. Team got off to a rough start but is really starting to come together, she's shown some real veteran leadership. Kudos to her.
100%. LA has a lot of talent along with a lot of volatile personalities or players with shortcomings and she is righting the ship after a rough start. She could definitely enter the MVP mix.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Team was exhausted and playing back to back after a delayed trip back from Dallas, so 3 in 4 days. She had no back up pg, Kiana Williams is not a back up, IMO. She played 70 of the 80 minutes in the 2 games vs the Liberty and Mercury and was still clutch enough to make 2 FT's with 35 seconds left in the game.

Not the prettiest of games today but a quality win for LA nonetheless. Really awful decision making by Phoenix/Taurasi to chuck up a fade away corner three with 8 seconds left down by 2. Could have gotten a much better look than they did. Taurasi has seemed really out of it this season. I think she still has the skill and speed to be a very good player in the league but Phoenix's chemistry is flat out bad right now. Between BG being detained, Charles bailing, SDS/Taurasi drama and coaching drama it just seems like a mess for Phoenix. Can't count them out but I think it's an uphill battle for them to get to where they were a year ago.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
And sister Chiney looks as good as I can remember. All over the boards and plating with toughness and hitting the mid range as well

bballnut90

Reaction Score
And sister Chiney looks as good as I can remember. All over the boards and plating with toughness and hitting the mid range as well
Disagree with this take. Chiney has been trending downward the last several years and this has probably been her worst year to date.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Disagree with this take. Chiney has been trending downward the last several years and this has probably been her worst year to date.
I really did not think of her early career but only more recently where she was invisible. The last 6 games (until the Mercury game, she has been really strong on the boards and looking dangerous in the post and mid range. She seems healthy and the NBA stuff I guess she is not spending time on so maybe can concentrate on her WNBA gig.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Haven't watched a WNBA game for awhile, but I'm amazed at how often DT & Diggins-Smith complain to the refs? If something doesn't go their way the first thing they do is whine.
You can add Dewanna Bonner and Candace Parker to that list.

Those 4 seem to be the top complainers.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I know DT gets a lot of homer love around here, but I have long found her comportment to be pretty obnoxious, in contrast to so many other Huskies legends who comport themselves with grace, style, and good humor: Stewie, Bird, Pheesa, Maya, and on and on. As for Diggins, all I can say is at least DT backs up her attitude with results. I've always thought Diggins has more attitude than she's earned the right to have, and it's actually only seemed to get worse over the years.

Reaction Score
I know DT gets a lot of homer love around here, but I have long found her comportment to be pretty obnoxious, in contrast to so many other Huskies legends who comport themselves with grace, style, and good humor: Stewie, Bird, Pheesa, Maya, and on and on. As for Diggins, all I can say is at least DT backs up her attitude with results. I've always thought Diggins has more attitude than she's earned the right to have, and it's actually only seemed to get worse over the years.
I just said as much on another thread, TheFarmFan. Big Momma will get riled up occasionally, and lots of others will have their moments, but DT is in a class by herself among UConn grads for her comportment, which I'd say is often obnoxious (dropping the pretty).

Reaction Score
I don't know about that one. This has been largely a disappointing season for DT but Skylar has been really impactful this season and is a huge reason why the Mercury isn't fighting for last place with the Fever.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
RE: MVP race.

Agree it's hard to parse out right now. The best teams thus far have been Chicago, Vegas, and CT, all of whom are either super deep (Chicago has SEVEN players averaging between 13.9ppg and 9.4ppg; CT has six players averaging between 14.9ppg and 8.6ppg); or have 5 legitimate all stars in their starting five (Vegas).

Stewart is far and away best player on her team (and maybe in the league), but her team has been inconsistent.

I think it likely comes down to Stewart or Wilson again.

FWIW--i am a huge fan of Nneka, and even though i don't think she's in MVP conversation, she's on my WNBA all first team right now.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I really did not think of her early career but only more recently where she was invisible. The last 6 games (until the Mercury game, she has been really strong on the boards and looking dangerous in the post and mid range. She seems healthy and the NBA stuff I guess she is not spending time on so maybe can concentrate on her WNBA gig.
Chiney also hadn't played a full season in the WNBA since 2019. She sat out 2020, played only 7 games in 2021. So seems like she's starting to get her timing/feel back this year, but she has a specific role for the team off the bench.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
??? If you exchange information with me on what years of the Stanford-ND rivalry got this bug into your golf hat, I can start doing some more thorough research. ;)

Not back it up? She just passed 4,000 pts scored in the league; is averaging 19.1 ppg, fourth in the league on 45.2% shooting overall, which is better than the three above her. On top of that she's shooting a very solid 86.3 % from the FT line which is good because she gets there so often (maybe that's because the refs don't want to offend her :eek:). And while folks are always subjective, a committee chose to have her on the U.S.A. Olympic team and she just made the All-Star team for 2022.

Skylar's intense -- there's no doubt about that (I can see how she can rub some folks the wrong way at times). But she works really, really hard to stay (more than) competitive, which both announcers brought up again and again last night. And Jaden Ivey, Niele's son, gives her credit for making him work hard and harder in practices.

Lastly, I've met her on multiple occasions and while she's not the most outwardly friendly player of the ND pros, she's straight-forward, polite and gives some thought to her answers. Oh, btw, she always comes back to practice and work with current ND players.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Seattle over IND 44-35 at half. Gabby with 2 impressive back to back finger rolls at the front of the rim. But basically Jewell's game so far

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
??? If you exchange information with me on what years of the Stanford-ND rivalry got this bug into your golf hat, I can start doing some more thorough research. ;)

Not back it up? She just passed 4,000 pts scored in the league; is averaging 19.1 ppg, fourth in the league on 45.2% shooting overall, which is better than the three above her. On top of that she's shooting a very solid 86.3 % from the FT line which is good because she gets there so often (maybe that's because the refs don't want to offend her :eek:). And while folks are always subjective, a committee chose to have her on the U.S.A. Olympic team and she just made the All-Star team for 2022.

Skylar's intense -- there's no doubt about that. But she works really, really hard to stay (more than) competitive, which both announcers brought up again and again last night. And Jaden Ivey, Niele's son, gives her credit for making him work hard and harder in practices.

Lastly, I've met her on multiple occasions and while she's not the most outwardly friendly player of the ND pros, she's straight-forward, polite and gives some thought to her answers. Oh, btw, she always comes back to practice and work with current ND players.
Skylar is arguably the best guard in the league right now. and this is a year after being named to the WNBA first team (a team she's been on 3x).

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Seattle over IND 44-35 at half. Gabby with 2 impressive back to back finger rolls at the front of the rim. But basically Jewell's game so far
Gabby bringing alot of defensive energy to the game. Indiana's announcer suitably impressed.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
After pulling out a close one at home against the Mystics, the Sun travel to Dallas and come up a bit short. Dallas goes big - using both Satou Sabally and Teaira McCowan (14 pts. each) -- along with the three-pronged guard attack of Ogunbowale, Gray and Mabrey and pulls out an 82-71 win. Solid victory at home for Dallas, after the home loss to the Sparks a few days back.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Sorry, I should have clarified - DT has 3 college rings, 3 W rings, and 5 gold medals. And she struts like someone who does. Diggins has no titles and one gold medal. So I guess I tolerate DT's theatrics as at least well earned, if not well merited. Diggins is definitely having a great season, no doubt, but she's had this "I've been wronged" attitude her whole career. Maybe she picked it up from her former coach... Like many around these parts, I wasn't much of a fan of that former coach's comportment, either...

Reaction Score
always liked Diggins as a player since College, I think she has always lacked help so is really unfair to say she hasn't won anything. Let's not forget Taurasi before she had Griner went through a long spell of not winning a title. Same with Sue Bird before she got Stewart. Who is the best player Diggins has played with in her career? Nobody that comes close to those 2 players.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Haven't watched a WNBA game for awhile, but I'm amazed at how often DT & Diggins-Smith complain to the refs? If something doesn't go their way the first thing they do is whine.
If you were a regular watcher of WNBA games you'd be less amazed.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
always liked Diggins as a player since College, I think she has always lacked help so is really unfair to say she hasn't won anything. Let's not forget Taurasi before she had Griner went through a long spell of not winning a title. Same with Sue Bird before she got Stewart. Who is the best player Diggins has played with in her career? Nobody that comes close to those 2 players.

well, she played with DT and Griner last year; and they got to the finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom