July recruiting thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

July recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Strong appears to have more skill than Morrow as well as PG vision and passing skills. Morrow beats people with relentless physicality and effort. Strong often looks like she is coasting out there, and of course there is a distinct physical difference.
Morrow doesn't have the perimeter/guard skills that Strong does. For example Morrow shot 23% from deep and dished out about 1 assist per game. I would expect Strong to exceed those numbers.
Strong is obviously very very skilled but the one thing that has consistently been bugging me is the level of competition she is facing in both HS and AAU basketball highlights. In these recent highlights for example she is playing AAU U16 vs playing up U17. I have yet to see a Sarah Strong highlight where she was going up against a players even close to her skill level.

Reaction Score
Morrow doesn't have the perimeter/guard skills that Strong does. For example Morrow shot 23% from deep and dished out about 1 assist per game. I would expect Strong to exceed those numbers.
Strong is obviously very very skilled but the one thing that has consistently been bugging me is the level of competition she is facing in both HS and AAU basketball highlights. In these recent highlights for example she is playing AAU U16 vs playing up U17. I have yet to see a Sarah Strong highlight where she was going up against a players even close to her skill level.
Exactly what I was going to comment on. I'm as interested in Strong as anyone and realize she can only play against whoever her coaches put her on the floor against. But she's operating with a huge physical advantage and I also look forward to seeing what she can do against tougher matchups. Right now it looks like she's cruising and not being pushed at all. I'm surprised she's not playing at the highest level available at a critical time in her development.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I found a couple of UConn POI playing GUAA in Cincy:

2025 Darianna "Dee" Alexander

2024 Teagan Colvin

Also playing at that event yesterday where Geno apparently was were Laila Hull and Kelis Fisher.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
ASGR has moved their rankings to a subscription-based system now which stinks. But here is their updated 2024 top-9.

FXPaZoVWIAM7kta

Reaction Score
Did I read that #1 Joyce Edwards didn't make the team in her recent U17 tryout? It seems that they try to spread around team participation and it's not always the best players being selected.

Reaction Score
ASGR has moved their rankings to a subscription-based system now which stinks. But here is their updated 2024 top-9.

FXPaZoVWIAM7kta
According to their ratings, it's a virtual toss up among the three 2024 centers. However, I'm partial to Tac. Her length and mobility on defense is what separates her from the other 2.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
According to their ratings, it's a virtual toss up among the three 2024 centers. However, I'm partial to Tac. Her length and mobility on defense is what separates her from the other 2.
Who are the three 2023 centers?
I'm counting 4 highly rated centers (Thomas, Koval, Ume, & Tac).

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She is hardcore blue.

Those point guard instincts were heavily influenced by former UConn star Moriah Jefferson, one of many Huskies Arnold looked up to growing up. The walls of Arnold’s childhood bedroom were covered in UConn Huskies stickers and posters as well as Fatheads of Jefferson and other players.

Arnold declared that she was going to UConn as soon as she got the offer, but her parents wanted her to make sure she visited the other top schools on her list before making a final decision. When they visited Storrs in November it felt like home. She verbally committed that same month.

Arnold has been in touch with many of her future teammates, including Paige Bueckers, Azzi Fudd and Nika Mühl. She sent a congratulatory text to fellow 2023 commit Qadence Samuels when she made her announcement last month and the pair have gotten to see each other on the AAU trail this summer.

Reaction Score
You see how quick she loads and fires in that video just above yours? I'm not convinced she's going to be slowed down in college.
she's way too skilled to be totally stopped at the next level.............whether she can consistently dominate offensively is the real question........,.I look forward to seeing her "Pistol Pete" style of basketball.......

Reaction Score
5'9"+/- can make driving inside against elite college front lines frustrating. It also gets tougher to get off midrange jumpers at the nexy level. I hope she has some elevation. At least she has that instinct to draw fouls.

It's her attitude that most impresses me.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Today at times, Koval played as if her hands were made of stone.
I saw that and she committed some silly fouls and got sent to the bench for the final 4 minutes of a relatively close championship game.

Reaction Score
Who are the three 2023 centers?
I'm counting 4 highly rated centers (Thomas, Koval, Ume, & Tac).
I was going off of Slu's top 9 list from ASGR. You can throw Koval in there too.
She can play.
My choice would still be Tac. A difference maker on the defensive end.

Reaction Score
I was going off of Slu's top 9 list from ASGR. You can throw Koval in there too.
She can play.
My choice would still be Tac. A difference maker on the defensive end.
Me too. Considering that her name has come up pretty often I was mildly disappointed in Koval from this recent game, but the highlight clips of Tac had just the opposite reaction from me, exceeding expectations. As for Heiden I think she may still be in the mix and probably should be, but I suspect if she commits she might compete for the rotation, but is more likely to be a backup to the backup, or a player in the 11-14 range depending on how many players we wind up with after the dust settles.

I have no problem with recruiting players and giving them the opportunity to compete for a rotation that may be long shots. If they surprise on the upside great, if not having an above average third stringer can make a difference when injuries hit and they move into the rotation, something we can relate to coming off this last season.

It is good for the team, but whether it is for the player is more debatable. It might be hard for Uconn to recruit a player in say the 50-100 range that could be an important piece of most programs, but who can see multiple higher rated players potentially ahead of them at their position. But if we can get quality "third stringers" go for it. Some may transfer, but I would rather have an Irwin or Bent level contingent player if needed, than say a couple of walk-ons like say Pulido and Lawlor.

We were lucky that Pulido and Lawlor were never really needed to play significant roles, but while Irwin and Bent may have been recruited for the type of role I am talking about, with three from Megan's class transferring, they wound up being in the rotation.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
5'9"+/- can make driving inside against elite college front lines frustrating. It also gets tougher to get off midrange jumpers at the nexy level. I hope she has some elevation. At least she has that instinct to draw fouls.

It's her attitude that most impresses me.
It did not hinder Dangerfield and a number of very good guards who are of similar height.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Klm.0606

Top Bottom