July recruiting thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

July recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Might have the potential to be a Nika like recruiting situation, where other top programs showed interest, and that peaked ours, and we made a last second push.
I'm betting 16/11 for the tournament and 32/26 this morning is what piqued the UConn staff's interest. Again, is her recruitment open or is she all but committed to Louisville? I don't know.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Jana El Alfy has WNBA aspirations and a ton of basketball skills. Seriously hoping UCONN picks up one of these three highly skilled international big forwards for the class of 2023 . Annika Soltau 6'4" (Germany) : Jana El Alfy 6'4" (Egypt) or Cassandre Prosper 6'3"(Canada)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
A pre-tourney report.

Jana Elalfy - Egypt - A do-it-all-baller​

The leading scorer at the FIBA U16 Women's African Championship last year, Elalfy poured in more than 18 points per game for Egypt to propel them to the Final as they secured a silver medal and qualification to another FIBA U17 tournament. She was also a big power on the glass too, managing to cement a classy competition double-double with more than 10 rebounds per outing. A do-it-all baller, her father is a coach which explains a lot in terms of her maturity and smarts. Egypt need her to come up big again!

Reaction Score
WOAH! She’s special!!
Interesting video. Don't like her shooting motion (somewhat side armed delivery-could be easy to block by similar sized players), but appears very aggressive. Definitely see her excelling at UConn. Would add defense and rebounding immediately and develop WNBA skills over time. Huskies are one of the few teams with Division 1 level depth, allowing for exceptional practice time.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Elalfy’s ball handling is reminiscent of Stewie.
Stewie is/was a terrific ball handler but ball handling was one of the last aspects of Stewie's game to fully develop. I know it only been a few clips but Jana Elalfy is only 16. As much as some are not going to appreciate these comparisons, that combination of fluid ball handling, dexterity & size at a comparable age you would have to go back to HS Azura Stevens, Candace Parker or more recently Ciera Toomey.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Stewie is/was a terrific ball handler but ball handling was one of the last aspects of Stewie's game to fully develop. I know it only been a few clips but Jana Elalfy is only 16. As much as some are not going to appreciate these comparisons, that combination of fluid ball handling, dexterity & size at a comparable age you would have to go back to HS Azura Stevens, Candace Parker or more recently Ciera Toomey.
Coco,

UConn material in your opinion? Other than FIBA, I wonder about the level of competition. Of course if Walz wants her...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco,
UConn material in your opinion? Other than FIBA, I wonder about the level of competition. Of course if Walz wants her...
All three of the forwards Annika Soltau, Jana El Alfy, & Cassandre Prosper are UCONN material IMO. They are not going to be superstars at UCONN but they could be very good rotation players. Like you I would like to see them play at a higher level of competition and with better teammates but I'm intrigued by what I have seen so far. On that Egyptian team for example if Jana didn't do it it was not getting done. Another consideration is that many of the US based forwards of this size/skill are already committed.

Reaction Score
For Jena Elalfy, it's worth considering that the stresses of being on a D1 team with a demanding practice culture are likely to be greater just because of the culture shift. She'll need to have some special support from her teammates.

Reaction Score
For Jena Elalfy, it's worth considering that the stresses of being on a D1 team with a demanding practice culture are likely to be greater just because of the culture shift. She'll need to have some special support from her teammates.
This would be huge. The transition alone would be massive. Heck it's a culture shock for Canadians when they leave to play D1 ball even though they have more exposure to it.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This would be huge. The transition alone would be massive. Heck it's a culture shock for Canadians when they leave to play D1 ball even though they have more exposure to it.
Depends on the individual. Svetlana Abrosimova came from Russia to Storrs sight unseen. I think she and Geno only spoke on the phone before she arrived. She eventually excelled on the court (All American) and in the classroom. College athletics is often the best environment as players become part of a small group that live together and have common goals. There's a built-in support system.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Recap: Select 24 - Part III

By Brandon Clay

Kamorea Arnold:

Arnold has been a part of our showcase series for years now. Her game has matured in step with her physical maturation. A UConn commit, Arnold’s eagerness to get up shots the night before Nike Nationals started speaks volumes as to where she’s headed next. She has the power to make plays off the bounce at will. Arnold’s next step will be based on her jumper.

Reaction Score
All three of the forwards Annika Soltau, Jana El Alfy, & Cassandre Prosper are UCONN material IMO. They are not going to be superstars at UCONN but they could be very good rotation players. Like you I would like to see them play at a higher level of competition and with better teammates but I'm intrigued by what I have seen so far. On that Egyptian team for example if Jana didn't do it it was not getting done. Another consideration is that many of the US based forwards of this size/skill are already committed.
Agree with the judgement those players could be very good rotational players, and your comment regarding many of the bigs already being committed. Because of the later I believed our 2023 class was probably done. C and Breya went elsewhere and although Del Rosario was still available, it didn't seem at all likely.

Now because of the foreign options, hope that we can still get a difference making big to round out the 2023 class has been restored.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Agree with the judgement those players could be very good rotational players, and your comment regarding many of the bigs already being committed. Because of the later I believed our 2023 class was probably done. C and Breya went elsewhere and although Del Rosario was still available, it didn't seem at all likely.

Now because of the foreign options, hope that we can still get a difference making big to round out the 2023 class has been restored.
If the UCONN 2023 class remains as is (3 players that are guards) then UCONN would be looking at all of these items to improve the front court for the 23-24 season: 1) International players 2) Transfer Portal 3) Organic growth from Amari, Ice or Ayanna.

Reaction Score
my #1 wish for UConn
We need to up the anti on recruiting her bc rumor is a certain west coast school has caught her attention more so than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Klm.0606

Top Bottom