July 2021 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
If we are fortunate and get Ashlynn:

assuming nobody opts for an extra year due to the covid factor:

Paige and Nika would be seniors with a one year overlap with Ashlynn.
Azzi would be a junior with a 2 year overlap.

While Caroline and Saylor are versatile I would not regard either as a true guard and Ashlynn seems to be just that...including some potential to be a 1 or 2. As it stands we have no guards coming from the 2022 class....'just' the 2 excellent forwards Ice and Ayanna. I'm still hoping for a guard from that class....Rice!

Even if we do get a 2022 guard it strikes me that Ashlynn would be in a good position to get some PT at either the 1 or 2 and learn a ton from the older guards ahead of her...and maybe after Paige and Nika move on...have at least a shot at starting in her soph year.

There seems to be a ton of excellent guard prospects from 2024/2025 and even 2026....including Jenica Lewis an 8th grader from Iowa this coming season who has declared that UConn is her dream school.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sounds like a UConn player. In the video she looked taller than 5'9". Small doesn't keep you from being great. Sue is 5'9".

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Sounds like a UConn player. In the video she looked taller than 5'9". Small doesn't keep you from being great. Sue i

If we are fortunate and get Ashlynne:

assuming nobody opts for an extra year due to the covid factor:

Paige and Nika would be seniors with a one year overlap with Ashlynne.
Azzi would be a junior with a 2 year overlap.

While Caroline and Saylor are versatile I would not regard either as a true guard and Ashlynne seems to be just that...including some potential to be a 1 or 2. As it stands we have no guards coming from the 2022 class....'just' the 2 excellent forwards Ice and Ayanna. I'm still hoping for a guard from that class....Rice!

Even if we do get a 2022 guard it strikes me that Ashlynne would be in a good position to get some PT at either the 1 or 2 and learn a ton from the older guards ahead of her...and maybe after Paige and Nika move on...have at least a shot at starting in her soph year.

There seems to be a ton of excellent guard prospects from 2024/2025 and even 2026....including Jenica Lewis an 8th grader from Iowa this coming season who has declared that UConn is her dream school.
This may seem picky but, based on the picture above, there is no "e" at the end of Ashlynn.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Ivey is unproven. That’s the issue. I believe Shea offered also, correct?

Yes on Shea. Agree on Ivey. ND is at a crossroads right now.

Per comments on Niele Ivey:

Without hashing out the whole "should the Irish have (at least) interviewed/hired a coach wth experience?" (this is becoming like an Act of Contrition on another board ;) ), I think this season is, indeed, a crossroads for both Coach Ivey & ND Women's Basketball.
A few thoughts:
  • In an interview, Niele admitted that the pandemic posed challenges on the recruiting front and was looking forward to getting out on the on the road (perhaps to get back to what she knew/was good at?)
  • Niele was known as MM's chief recruiter (and game planner), yet both elements seem to have faltered, at least by the standards we once knew. Maybe trying to do everything affects the deep dives?
  • She got off to a great start, securing commitments from Olivia Miles and Sonia Citron. Since then: 0. Zip.
  • And now she's gotten to the point where it just isn't "recruiting" that's the issue -- she's got to show what she can do on the floor. That can --and will -- affect many recruits' decisions.
  • So, Niele will have a full summer session and fall work-out period to get her team of 10 into fighting shape.
  • I've written on the Bench that the 2022 season is pretty much over for top-ranked prospects, save Tabitha Amanze and KK Bransford. 2023 and beyond are what's imperative and this season is the groundwork. Show me.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I like Booker's "Ice Man Gervin" move and shot on Tomlinson at the 1:40 mark. Very versatile at 6-1.

There's a lot to like about Booker in that video. Her ball-handling skills are amazing for a 6-1 wing/forward. She can clearly get off her own shot any time she wants, and the shot itself looks high quality. She can really pass, and she even puts in an impressive post move.

I'm pretty sold at this point.

Reaction Score
There's a lot to like about Booker in that video. Her ball-handling skills are amazing for a 6-1 wing/forward. She can clearly get off her own shot any time she wants, and the shot itself looks high quality. She can really pass, and she even puts in an impressive post move.

Ok, Booker it is!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Booker is probably the most complete two way player in the class. She has Gabby Williams like defensive versatility and can lock up positions 1-4.
Lets Go Yes GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Reaction Score

Like I said previously, the Book can cook.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Without hashing out the whole "should the Irish have (at least) interviewed/hired a coach wth experience?" (this is becoming like an Act of Contrition on another board ;) ), I think this season is, indeed, a crossroads for both Coach Ivey & ND Women's Basketball.
A few thoughts:
  • In an interview, Niele admitted that the pandemic posed challenges on the recruiting front and was looking forward to getting out on the on the road (perhaps to get back to what she knew/was good at?)
  • Niele was known as MM's chief recruiter (and game planner), yet both elements seem to have faltered, at least by the standards we once knew. Maybe trying to do everything affects the deep dives?
  • She got off to a great start, securing commitments from Olivia Miles and Sonia Citron. Since then: 0. Zip.
  • And now she's gottent to the point where it just isn't "recruiting" -- she's got to show what she can do on the floor. That can affect many recruits' decisions.
  • So, Niele will have a full summer session and fall work-out periord to get her team of 10 into fighting shape.
  • I've written on the board that the 2022 season is pretty much over for top-ranked prospects, save Tabitha Amanze and KK Bransford. 2023 and beyond are what's imperative and this season is the groundwork. Show me.

Stay tuned.
Dillon, I always appreciate your insight into the general tenor in South Bend. Unlike some here on the BY, I don’t want to see the Irish fade into obscurity. The UConn-ND rivalry was good for WBB, and hopefully will be again.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

A few thoughts:
  • And now she's gottent to the point where it just isn't "recruiting" -- she's got to show what she can do on the floor. That can affect many recruits' decisions.
  • So, Niele will have a full summer session and fall work-out periord to get her team of 10 into fighting shape.
  • I've written on the board that the 2022 season is pretty much over for top-ranked prospects, save Tabitha Amanze and KK Bransford. 2023 and beyond are what's imperative and this season is the groundwork. Show me.

Stay tuned.
Show me? I did not know you were from Missouri.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom