JULY 2019 WNBA Discussions, scores, game info, pictures | Page 2 | The Boneyard

JULY 2019 WNBA Discussions, scores, game info, pictures

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Clean sweep. All home teams lost except Vegas whose game was cancelled due to the earthquake in LA. If I was Kawhi, I would take the hint and go to Toronto.

Anyhow, Tina and Kia dominate the game

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Kia Nurse had a spectacular game, 26 points on a very efficient 8-11 (4-6 FG3 and 6-6 FT).
Tina Charles had 23 and 12.
Asia Durr also had 10 points.

Griner had 30 in the losing effort.

Griner had 19 at the half, all the bigs of the liberty had foul trouble but could not really dominate in the 2nd half. Give the Liberty Defense some credit. They are in your face and very physical.

I am really psyched about the Liberty and can't wait until they play at Barclay's next year.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Clean sweep. All home teams lost except Vegas whose game was cancelled due to the earthquake in LA. If I was Kawhi, I would take the hint and go to Toronto.

Wow that was pretty wild. The quake hit with 22 seconds left in the first half, and they actually didn't suspend play immediately.

So are they gonna make up this game? Resuming it at halftime?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
That's wild. That's gotta be the first WNBA game that wasn't completed because of an earthquake, no?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Wow that was pretty wild. The quake hit with 22 seconds left in the first half, and they actually didn't suspend play immediately.

So are they gonna make up this game? Resuming it at halftime?

Here is a quote

The WNBA has announced that the game between the Washington Mystics and host Las Vegas Aces has been suspended for precautionary reasons due to an earthquake affecting the Las Vegas area. The game was suspended at halftime with Washington leading, 51-36. Information regarding the resumption of the game will be announced by the WNBA when available.

I guess they will figure out how to resume the game depending on the available schedules.

Reaction Score
Let’s talk about how Kia is the best player the Liberty have, even over Tina!

Reaction Score
Seattle better find a point guard for when Sue retires, they don't have one now. Chong would be able to shoot and run an offense better then Canada. Terrible shooter, dribbles too much, and most of the time out of control.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Seattle better find a point guard for when Sue retires, they don't have one now. Chong would be able to shoot and run an offense better then Canada. Terrible shooter, dribbles too much, and most of the time out of control.

You've really got an axe to grind w/ Canada. How many PGs do you think could take a team missing 3 All Stars and have them clicking like nothing was wrong? You put Chong on Seattle right now and they'd be struggling just as much. I have a feeling if Stewie and Loyd were available to play Canada would look a lot better. Funny how having All Star teammates can have that effect. Or maybe I'm wrong, and a team depending on scoring from Alysha Clark, Sami Whitcomb and Shavonte Zellous would be fine w/ the right PG.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Chong is definitely not a better point guard than Canada.

No doubt Canada's offense is a work in progress. But her defense is world class; she is leading the entire league in steals by a wide margin, and that doesn't even count all the frequent deflections she creates. She seems to lose control too often on offense, true; but she causes the opposing offense to lose control far more often. She is top 10 in the league in turnovers, but she still has fewer turnovers than Sims and Vandersloot, and she has a more than 2-to-1 A/TO ratio.

The main reason Chong hasn't been able to stay in the league isn't because of her offense, but for the same reason she was summarily yanked from the starting lineup in November 2014 in favor of a freshman Kia Nurse: she gets abused too easily on defense.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Kia Nurse had a spectacular game, 26 points on a very efficient 8-11 (4-6 FG3 and 6-6 FT).
Tina Charles had 23 and 12.
Asia Durr also had 10 points.

Griner had 30 in the losing effort.

New York is looking much better as of late. Charles is finding her stride and Nurse is leaps and bounds better than she was a year ago. She should be an All Srar this year.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
You've really got an axe to grind w/ Canada. How many PGs do you think could take a team missing 3 All Stars and have them clicking like nothing was wrong? You put Chong on Seattle right now and they'd be struggling just as much. I have a feeling if Stewie and Loyd were available to play Canada would look a lot better. Funny how having All Star teammates can have that effect. Or maybe I'm wrong, and a team depending on scoring from Alysha Clark, Sami Whitcomb and Shavonte Zellous would be fine w/ the right PG.

Canada will improve but I agree with the original poster that I'm not sure she's the best option to build your team around. Lots of dribbling, not a good shooter and I think she has mediocre decision making skills, especially for a PG. I see her potentially becoming a Danielle Robinson caliber of player offensively. Solid player but a big step down from Bird. Seattle has so much talent with Loyd, Howard and Stewart that they shouldnt need a top notch PG to stay a title threat. If the supporting talent level drops off or Stewart doesnt come back 100% from the Achilles injury, i don't see Canada as a player who elevates her team to be a title threat. Just my 2 cents.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Canada will improve but I agree with the original poster that I'm not sure she's the best option to build your team around. Lots of dribbling, not a good shooter and I think she has mediocre decision making skills, especially for a PG. I see her potentially becoming a Danielle Robinson caliber of player offensively. Solid player but a big step down from Bird. Seattle has so much talent with Loyd, Howard and Stewart that they shouldnt need a top notch PG to stay a title threat. If the supporting talent level drops off or Stewart doesnt come back 100% from the Achilles injury, i don't see Canada as a player who elevates her team to be a title threat. Just my 2 cents.

Fair enough. Having her be the starter this year was not the plan, but plans change. I think she played a positive role in Seattle's good start early in the season. They are certainly struggling now, and her play is part of that, but it goes so far beyond her. Too many players being asked to take on roles that they really aren't suited to due to all the injuries.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Fair enough. Having her be the starter this year was not the plan, but plans change. I think she played a positive role in Seattle's good start early in the season. They are certainly struggling now, and her play is part of that, but it goes so far beyond her. Too many players being asked to take on roles that they really aren't suited to due to all the injuries.

True. Seattle is still tied for 5th so they're in the thick of things....hurts big time when you lose 3 players who were top picks in the draft. Fortunately for them, pretty much all of the other good teams from 2018 (sans Washington and maybe Connecticut) look markedly different from a year ago, so everyone is going through growing pains this year.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Regarding the Phoenix - NY game - they had Charles and Nurse and we didn't have DT. That simple.

Griner is really impressive. Love her game. But she can't carry a team alone.

And Bonner took some of the stupidest shots I think I have ever seen.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Regarding the Phoenix - NY game - they had Charles and Nurse and we didn't have DT. That simple.

Griner is really impressive. Love her game. But she can't carry a team alone.

Phoenix is 5-6 on the year so they aren't dead in the water without DT. Bonner has been fantastic most of the year despite a bad showing today, and Mitchell has also stepped up her game big time. DT will be a welcome addition when she comes back. Don't be surprised though if it takes a few games for her to gel and get up to speed, a la Parker in LA.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score

Bonner has never been shy about hoisting shots. That must be really bad if it was worse than her normal shot selection. Of course she hits enough of those questionable shots most of the time that you just kind of have to shrug and go with it.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Seattle is still tied for 5th so they're in the thick of things

Unfortunately they have a bunch of home games and they haven't been making hay with their schedule. Their temporary home at UW hasn't been all that friendly towards them. Maybe most surprising is that Whitcomb, who has spent more time on that floor than anybody else on the team, is in a horrid shooting slump.

Reaction Score
Aces up all over the Liberty 26-12 at the end of Q1. Liberty have 9 straight missed baskets. (Kia with the long pony tail today - doesn't she GET it??)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Aces up all over the Liberty 26-12 at the end of Q1. Liberty have 9 straight missed baskets. (Kia with the long pony tail today - doesn't she GET it??)

I think Kia has been playing with the long hair styles lately. I know she had that style in her last game where she played like an All Star. That hair style certainly fits better with her Nike Jordan Brand

Reaction Score
I think Kia has been playing with the long hair styles lately. I know she had that style in her last game where she played like an All Star. That hair style certainly fits better with her Nike Jordan Brand
Yeah Friday vs the Mercury she had the curly pony tail. Today's is straight, very long.

10-0 run by the Liberty, Aces up 35-27. Kia with 2 points, 0 rebounds, 2 assists.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yeah Friday vs the Mercury she had the curly pony tail. Today's is straight, very long.

10-0 run by the Liberty, Aces up 35-27. Kia with 2 points, 0 rebounds, 2 assists.

Liberty have shown good resiliency. Have overcome double digit deficits the last 2 games. Looking at the Box Score, all the liberty players are having bad shooting games except for Durr

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Rough game for Charles and Nurse. Combined 6-29 shooting from the floor, 1-9 from deep and down 29 at home.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Rough game for Charles and Nurse. Combined 6-29 shooting from the floor, 1-9 from deep and down 29 at home.

Glad the game was not televised on any of my normal venues. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom