JULY 2019 WNBA Discussions, scores, game info, pictures | Page 11 | The Boneyard

JULY 2019 WNBA Discussions, scores, game info, pictures

Reaction Score
Perfection watch. Soon to be POY EDD 7 for 7 to begin the game against the Dream.
Mystic homer announcer talking about Cazorla's time at Oregon like she had actually followed her or something, but doesn't know how to pronounce her name. Click - back to HOF induction speeches.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
With so many good distance shooters, Washington is able to play a very attractive pass first motion offense. 13 of first 16 buckets assisted. Very impressed so far.

Reaction Score
Wonder why Tiffany Hayes didn't play today. Evidently she's been struggling with an ankle injury. The box score said coach's decision not injury.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Wonder why Tiffany Hayes didn't play today. Evidently she's been struggling with an ankle injury. The box score said coach's decision not injury.
A hamstring, apparently.

She was reported as available but DNP coach's decision.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Taking Atkins' place in the starting lineup was the other Ariel (Powers), who had a solid showing with 17 points including 4-7 from 3.

Reaction Score
Pokey is a horrible coach. McCowan is their only reliable post and she pulls her for the last 5 mins. Indiana can barely buy a rebound when she is out.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

OUCH! Achilles issues can be really painful and can take forever to heal. Been there, and I hope hers is really mild. She’s a blast to watch, she leaves it all on the court.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

That was hilarious. To be fair, Achonwa has to do what she needs to survive in a position where she is generally smaller and slower than her competition. On the other hand, the fouls went the other way in the second half and the announcers were very impressed with how she managed to change the refereeing. ;);)

Not to be lost in the conversation, Stef made big play after big play down the stretch to will the Sky to victory. She was gassed and still fought tooth and nail and her teammates really appreciated it. To see her teammates obvious affection for her is great.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
That was hilarious. To be fair, Achonwa has to do what she needs to survive in a position where she is generally smaller and slower than her competition. On the other hand, the fouls went the other way in the second half and the announcers were very impressed with how she managed to change the refereeing. ;);)

Not to be lost in the conversation, Stef made big play after big play down the stretch to will the Sky to victory. She was gassed and still fought tooth and nail and her teammates really appreciated it. To see her teammates obvious affection for her is great.
Speaking of Big Mama Stef and effort, I was impressed to discover that out of UConn alums Dolson, KML, Nurse, and other sharpshooters including DeShields, January, and Wiese, Dolson has the highest 3pt % this year - and 15th in the league! That is so impressive - who would ever have thought she'd shoot from long range at a higher clip than KML?!

I'm also impressed that Nneka is #4 on this metric. Those two bigs were rarely far from the paint in college, so it's really terrific to see their games continue to grow in pro ball.

It also helps that they're both likeable and charismatic representatives of the league. Could we get more highlights like the flopper comment please?!

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Achonwa is quietly having a great season. Basketball Reference has her 6th in the league in PER at 22.8 and leading the league in Offensive Rating and Offensive Win Shares.

The phrase "Best of Enemies" comes to mind with regards to she and Dolson.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Achonwa is quietly having a great season. Basketball Reference has her 6th in the league in PER at 22.8 and leading the league in Offensive Rating and Offensive Win Shares.

The phrase "Best of Enemies" comes to mind with regards to she and Dolson.

Along those lines, Achonwa and Dolson are 3rd and 4th respectively in Season-long Field Goal Efficiency at 54.8% and 53.2%, respectively. Both have taken exactly 126 shots.
Season Leaders

;)I think of Achonwa and Dolson as being two components of a physics equation or an example of cause and effect. "Same as it ever was," would play on the soundtrack.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Along those lines, Achonwa and Dolson are 3rd and 4th respectively in Season-long Field Goal Efficiency at 54.8% and 53.2%, respectively. Both have taken exactly 126 shots.
Season Leaders

;)I think of Achonwa and Dolson as being two components of a physics equation or an example of cause and effect. "Same as it ever was," would play on the soundtrack.
It's also crazy that Mercedes Russell is 2nd! Her growth in 1.5 years with the Storm vs. 4 years under Holly is like night and day. It's kind of sad to think of what kind of player she could be right now if she'd gone someplace with good player development and coaching, like, oh, I don't know, OSU, which was practically in her backyard, and has a coach (Rueck) who is exceptional at developing bigs. Hamblin, Gulich, and Grymek were all completely transformed under his coaching. Imagine what could have been for Russell!

Reaction Score
Pokey is a horrible coach. McCowan is their only reliable post and she pulls her for the last 5 mins. Indiana can barely buy a rebound when she is out.
And evidently McCowan can't buy a bucket. Lots of trouble finishing at the rim. Having said that I think she's candidate for rookie of the year actually. She's definitely in the top three at this point.

Reaction Score
It's also crazy that Mercedes Russell is 2nd! Her growth in 1.5 years with the Storm vs. 4 years under Holly is like night and day. It's kind of sad to think of what kind of player she could be right now if she'd gone someplace with good player development and coaching, like, oh, I don't know, OSU, which was practically in her backyard, and has a coach (Rueck) who is exceptional at developing bigs. Hamblin, Gulich, and Grymek were all completely transformed under his coaching. Imagine what could have been for Russell!
If Russell had gone to Uconn she would have won National Championships, and gone high in the draft, not 2nd round.

Reaction Score
I agree that Russell should have gone to Oregon State. HW had the Tennessee prestige going for her which turned out to be fools gold. All those great players that came to campus 2013 and beyond that could have been so much more if they went to another campus. And Diamond Deshields should have stayed at North Carolina. She would have been awesome there.

Reaction Score

A "flop" occurs when a defensive player - having established position or not - pretends to be displaced by a dribbler and falls or jumps to the floor, sometimes feigning physical pain and usually appealing to the referee as if the dribbler's "foul" should be obvious.

Certain schools and coaches are known to the general basketball fan base for being master developers and teachers of this technique...

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
A "flop" occurs when a defensive player - having established position or not - pretends to be displaced by a dribbler and falls or jumps to the floor, sometimes feigning physical pain and usually appealing to the referee as if the dribbler's "foul" should be obvious.

The play in question closely mirrors this one from the NBA's video rule book.

"Offensive players may not use their bodies to illegal dislodge their legal opponents. On this play, the contact initiated by the offensive player dislodges the post defender who had obtained a legal guarding position. This is an offensive foul."

Offensive Foul in the post, back down by offensive player | NBA Video Rulebook

Stef's a pretty physical player and she's 40 lbs. heavier than Achonwa. When she backs down Achonwa, there's going to be some dislodging going on. Ace saw what was going to happen so she set her feet and braced for impact. I think she outsmarted Stef on this one.

That being said, I love them both and Stef's soundbite is hilarious. Ace got the call and got under Stef's skin. Stef got the comeback win. Until next time...

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Watching McCowan push around the vets a little bit is surprising. One thing to do it at the college level, but to come in and do it as a rookie is another.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Holly delayed her developing but if she can definitely still reach her potential. Coordinated 6-6 bigs with good touch inside don't grow on trees....she's going to get a lot better.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The play in question closely mirrors this one from the NBA's video rule book.

"Offensive players may not use their bodies to illegal dislodge their legal opponents. On this play, the contact initiated by the offensive player dislodges the post defender who had obtained a legal guarding position. This is an offensive foul."

Offensive Foul in the post, back down by offensive player | NBA Video Rulebook

Stef's a pretty physical player and she's 40 lbs. heavier than Achonwa. When she backs down Achonwa, there's going to be some dislodging going on. Ace saw what was going to happen so she set her feet and braced for impact. I think she outsmarted Stef on this one.

That being said, I love them both and Stef's soundbite is hilarious. Ace got the call and got under Stef's skin. Stef got the comeback win. Until next time...

Agreed. I thought it was a good call but it really lit a fire under Dolson and she played great in the 2nd half. Really wish we could've seen them go head to head in the 2014 title game. Stef usually got the better of Achonwa head to head but it would've been a much more competitive matchup than Reimer going up against Dolson.

Sky look good this year. I think returning most of their core nucleus has been great for them, as it has for the Mystics and Connecticut too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom