JULY 2019 WNBA Discussions, scores, game info, pictures | Page 10 | The Boneyard

JULY 2019 WNBA Discussions, scores, game info, pictures

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Q4 has been a battle of good defense and inept offense. This one has turned into a stinker. Seattle clinging to a 4 point lead w/ 1:20 left.
Both teams with great defense and, by the end of the game, horrible offense. The Storm were completely taken out of their offensive rhythm and seemed unable to get even a decent look before the shot clock. But their defense was the story of the game, 18 steals is really amazing.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Will the Storm be back in Key next season.?

Had to look it up. Originally projected to be completed in spring of '21, now pushed back to summer of '21. Should be done in time for the new NHL franchise, but would cost the Storm another season in their home arena (3 seasons?! seriously?). Cost estimate has also quickly gone from $600 mil to $850 and now $930.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Had to look it up. Originally projected to be completed in spring of '21, now pushed back to summer of '21. Should be done in time for the new NHL franchise, but would cost the Storm another season in their home arena (3 seasons?! seriously?). Cost estimate has also quickly gone from $600 mil to $850 and now $930.

Thats crazy.... almost a billion to update an arena.... not a football stadium..... oh well...

Reaction Score
Dang it, I can't find the scene from "Semi-Pro" where Andre Benjamin's character (nee Andre 3000) goes 1 on 5 while his teammates stand around laughing, I searched you tube diligently.

Ya know, I watched it again, there was a little more movement than I thought. Riquna sets a screen early on. Somebody (Chiney?) posts up on the right block. But there is quite a bit of standing around and not really knowing what they should be doing by several of the Sparks. The original clip in this post is now another sequence, but you can still see it where I quoted it.

I'm sticking to my guns. LA got a bucket, which is all that really matters. But if you're trying to teach a kid how to play basketball, you absolutely would not show that to them.
The reason for that excess dribbling is that they want to run the time off the clock to get the last shot. That is why she dribbles and everyone stands around. Don't believe that if a teammate was open for a shot while she was dribbling that she would not see it and get them the ball. Chelsea normally is a very team-oriented player. Her best asset is actually her court vision and passing. I saw her play often when she was in high school. She averaged about 14 pts a game on a team that averaged around 90 a game. She probably could have averaged close to thirty in that she was unstoppable. She usually only shot when they needed a basket or at the close of quarters and halves. You have to put those plays into context.

She has always been a pass-first PG. She is the reason I never cared for high scoring Points. I would agree with you about not over dribbling, however, she only does that when circumstances dictate it. LA sets up those plays for her to take the last shot because she can usually get it off successfully.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The reason for that excess dribbling is that they want to run the time off the clock to get the last shot. That is why she dribbles and everyone stands around. Don't believe that if a teammate was open for a shot while she was dribbling that she would not see it and get them the ball. Chelsea normally is a very team-oriented player. Her best asset is actually her court vision and passing. I saw her play often when she was in high school. She averaged about 14 pts a game on a team that averaged around 90 a game. She probably could have averaged close to thirty in that she was unstoppable. She usually only shot when they needed a basket or at the close of quarters and halves. You have to put those plays into context.

She has always been a pass-first PG. She is the reason I never cared for high scoring Points.
I would agree with you about not over dribbling, however, she only does that when circumstances dictate it. LA sets up those plays for her to take the last shot because she can usually get it off successfully.

Of course I never say her play in high school........Just looking back over her college stats..... in her sophomore and junior years... the years she made some All-American squads... she averaged 12.5 and 12.6 pts respectively. She was averaging 10.8 pts in her senior year before another season ending injury.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Just finished watching Vegas/Seattle....wow what an ugly game! Canada and Co. only managed 2 FGs in the 4th and had a stretch of probably 4-5 straight shot clock violations and still found a way to survive. They were bailed out big time by Kelsey Plum committing a horrific foul with 27 seconds to go which put Canada at the line to create a 4 pt separation. Plum continues to struggle, she has shot 19-78 over the past month. Wouldnt be surprised if Bill is considering trading her.

Seattle's defense was spectacular though, Howard was an absolute beast for them. They seem to always find a way to win at home.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Liberty / Sparks. Liberty leading 44-37 at half behind remarkable shooting

(except for Tina) and I am blacked out. Head bangHead bangHead bang

Special Kudos to
Johannes 5-5 (3-3 from 3pt land)
Ekenwue 3-3 (1-1 from 3pt land).

and Kia getting to the line (5-8 only)

Hope they can keep it up.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Liberty hold on win 83-78. Tina Charles with 4-4 clutch FT's in the final minute
to offset a tough game. :D:D:D:D

Reaction Score
Liberty hold on win 83-78. Tina Charles with 4-4 clutch FT's in the final minute
to offset a tough game. :D:D:D:D
Marine Johannès had a perfect shooting night - 6-6 overall, 4-4 from 3, and 1-1 on FT's for 17 points to lead the Liberty in scoring. I never even heard of her. I guess because she's French and never played WCBB in the US :confused::confused: Must have just gotten back from playing EuroBasket - she hasn't played much for the Liberty this year.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Marine Johannès had a perfect shooting night - 6-6 overall, 4-4 from 3, and 1-1 on FT's for 17 points to lead the Liberty in scoring. I never even heard of her. I guess because she's French and never played WCBB in the US :confused::confused: Must have just gotten back from playing EuroBasket - she hasn't played much for the Liberty this year.

She is a tough athletic player with alot of flair and can shoot it up.

Nice highlight video from Eurobasket

Marine Johannes - France - Amazing Performance - EuroBasket Women 2019

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Was Mabrey injured? She only played 4 minutes and Karlie played 20, which is more than she's played for the Sparks in... forever? I think Karl's the better defender of the two, but I was surprised to see this given that Mabrey has seemed to have been improving lately and has been getting good minutes.

Man, with Parker, Jones, and Beard out, Williams serving her ban, and Vadeeva who-knows-where(???), the Sparks are pretty short-handed these days.

Just watching the rebroadcast and the announcers were also perplexed why Mabrey was not out on the floor. They said maybe she was in the dog house?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Haven't seen anything to make me think she is. And sometimes they hint that she is even when she doesn't play, so I'd say, "no."
I’m at the game in person and Diana isn’t even on the bench.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I gotta say this is a chippy and ill-tempered game. Physical, lots of fouls, and lots of complaining about calls and no calls alike. Griner got her 3rd foul in the first quarter. Essence Carson went out early in 3Q with some kind of calf injury. Then Griner hurt her foot somehow. Both benches have been assessed technicals.

The attendance is not bad, there’s good energy from the fans and it’s in an appropriately sized arena at UT Arlington.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m at the game in person and Diana isn’t even on the bench.
DT wasn't even listed as a DNP in ESPN's box score either - ?? Azurá was in a boot on the bench, and wasn't listed at all for Dallas.

Looked like a good game on TV. Griner in foul trouble from the get-go - Wings could have won easily if Arike had shot a little better than 3-15. Sophie's true colors showed tonight, getting a flagrant for a high knee to the ribs combined with a palm smash to the face (she's a taekwondo black belt - don't wanna waste it).

Plebe

Reaction Score
DT wasn't even listed as a DNP in ESPN's box score either - ?? Azurá was in a boot on the bench, and wasn't listed at all for Dallas.

Looked like a good game on TV. Griner in foul trouble from the get-go - Wings could have won easily if Arike had shot a little better than 3-15. Sophie's true colors showed tonight, getting a flagrant for a high knee to the ribs combined with a palm smash to the face (she's a taekwondo black belt - don't wanna waste it).
Phoenix played every last person available, and this was something of a breakout game for Brianna Turner. She only had 4 points, but they came at crucial times, including a huge putback with less than a minute to play, which put Phoenix back up by 3. She had 6 rebounds, which is a lot for only 13 minutes. She's barely seen the court this year, but with all the foul trouble and injuries she got her chance today. Before today the most she'd played in any game had been 4 minutes. I suspect she just earned herself more playing time.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I gotta say this is a chippy and ill-tempered game. Physical, lots of fouls, and lots of complaining about calls and no calls alike. Griner got her 3rd foul in the first quarter. Essence Carson went out early in 3Q with some kind of calf injury. Then Griner hurt her foot somehow. Both benches have been assessed technicals.

The attendance is not bad, there’s good energy from the fans and it’s in an appropriately sized arena at UT Arlington.

How is that arena? I just assumed when they moved to Dallas... that they would play in the AAC. I know costs would be much higher..... and it would swallow up the crowd... but I wonder if attendance would be better if they played there.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Was Mabrey injured? She only played 4 minutes and Karlie played 20, which is more than she's played for the Sparks in... forever? I think Karl's the better defender of the two, but I was surprised to see this given that Mabrey has seemed to have been improving lately and has been getting good minutes.

Man, with Parker, Jones, and Beard out, Williams serving her ban, and Vadeeva who-knows-where(???), the Sparks are pretty short-handed these days.
Just watching the rebroadcast and the announcers were also perplexed why Mabrey was not out on the floor. They said maybe she was in the dog house?

I was busy yesterday afternoon and when I checked the (running) box score was also surprised to see the 4 minutes played (I believe all at the end of first quarter). Big surprise given that Mabrey had probably played her best game of the year a whopping two days earlier in the win over the Wings. Who knows? Sickness? One-game doghouse to make a point? Maybe we'll see if this carries over to the next game of the Eastern swing. For all of their sakes, sure hope Coach Fisher does not engage in an eeny-meeny-miiny-mo type of approach among Mabrey, Karlie and Syd.

Reaction Score
Connecticut Sun Head Coach Curt Miller post-game press conference after Friday's Dream/Sun game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Perfection watch. Soon to be POY EDD 7 for 7 to begin the game against the Dream.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom