Jordan Fuchs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jordan Fuchs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wrong. If you are a scholarship athlete in one sport your scholarship is counted in any sport that you participate in. If this weren't the case there would be a number of schools adding athltic teams in sports they don't care about (men's ice hockey in the SEC for example) just to increase the number of scholarships they could give to football players.

I'm pretty sure Dan's right. Fuchs' scholarship counts towards the football limit, not the basketball one. So he can be on scholarship for football but not use a scholarship in basketball.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If he is on scholarship for football (or any sport for that matter) he can only 'walk on' as a basketball player if we are under our full allotment of scholarships in basketball. If we are maxed out, no scholarship athlete from any other sport can be a walk on.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Its the same deal as laray and track. Im not even sure what bl said. Hes a fball player and will be a bball walkon. Bl getting at me lol

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
The major difference (at least at a school like UConn) is that we do not come close to maxing out our track scholarships. If we did, a scholarship athlete in another sport could not walk on to the track team.

It is one and only one scholarship for basically all record keeping. For Title IX, if a football player also plays hoops or runs track, he is a non scholarship participant in the other sport. For purposes of competition however, if a hoops team has ten (basketball) scholarship players and two walk-ons from the football team, the NCAA views this as twelve scholarship basketball players.

Reaction Score
Wrong. If you are a scholarship athlete in one sport your scholarship is counted in any sport that you participate in. If this weren't the case there would be a number of schools adding athltic teams in sports they don't care about (men's ice hockey in the SEC for example) just to increase the number of scholarships they could give to football players.

This is what I thought. And it makes the recruitment of Fuchs much more complex.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
It actually could be to our benefit (assuming he views football as his primary sport).

We are increasing our men's basketball scholarship total by a large number each of the next few years (due to regaining lost scholarships and the weight of one future graduating class). We will be far more likely than most top hoops schools to be one or two under the limit during his time in college.

Unless this kid is willing to make basketball his primary (and possibly his only) sport, few big hoops schools will save a scholarship for him. As we will have an abundance over the next few years, it would not be difficult for us to save him a spot.

Reaction Score
It actually could be to our benefit (assuming he views football as his primary sport).

We are increasing our men's basketball scholarship total by a large number each of the next few years (due to regaining lost scholarships and the weight of one future graduating class). We will be far more likely than most top hoops schools to be one or two under the limit during his time in college.

Unless this kid is willing to make basketball his primary (and possibly his only) sport, few big hoops schools will save a scholarship for him. As we will have an abundance over the next few years, it would not be difficult for us to save him a spot.

I had thought Dan was correct. But you've written this so clearly and forcefully that I'd bet you are right and I was wrong.

Of course, someone could actually look this up.

pj

Reaction Score
Thanks, COOSCOOS! That's terrific production offensively (25 rec / 20 ypc / 9 td), especially for a first-year football player.

Reaction Score
I had thought Dan was correct. But you've written this so clearly and forcefully that I'd bet you are right and I was wrong.

Of course, someone could actually look this up.
ONLY PLAYED 9 GAMES AND WAS THROWN TO 4X A GAME--THE WHOLE COACHING STAFF WAS REPLACED AT YEARS END--BROUGHT IN EX PRO--TYREE ALISON AND HIS STAFF---THIS YEAR WILL BE FUN

Reaction Score
From the NCAA Division I Manual (usually the authority on this sort of thing)

15.5.10 Multi-Sport Participants.
15.5.10.1 Football. [FBS/FCS] In football, a counter who was recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.8) and/or offered
financial aid to participate in football and who participates (practices or competes) in football and one or more
sports (including basketball) shall be counted in football. A counter who was not recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.8)
and/or offered financial aid to participate in football and who competes in football and one or more sports (including
basketball) shall be counted in football. (Revised: 1/10/95 effective 8/1/95, 1/9/96 effective 8/1/96, 1/15/11
effective 8/1/11)
15.5.10.1.1 Initial Counter. [FBS/FCS] A counter who previously has not been counted in football
shall be considered an initial counter even though the student-athlete already has received countable financial
aid in another sport.
15.5.10.1.2 Championship Subdivision Football Exception. [FCS] A counter who practices or
competes in football at a Football Championship Subdivision institution that elects to use the football
counter and initial-counter exception set forth in Bylaw 15.5.6.2.1 and who practices or competes in another
sport and receives countable financial aid in another sport shall be counted in the institution’s financial
aid limitations in the other sport. (Adopted: 1/10/95, Revised: 12/15/06)
15.5.10.2 Basketball. A counter who practices or competes in basketball and one or more other sports (other
than football) shall be counted in basketball.
15.5.10.3 Ice Hockey, Men’s. A counter who practices or competes in men’s ice hockey and one or more
other sports (other than football or basketball) shall be counted in men’s ice hockey. (Adopted: 1/16/93 effective 8/1/93)

15.5.10.7.1 Requirement to Qualify as Multi-Sport Athlete. [FBS/FCS] To be considered a multiple-
sport athlete under this section, an individual must meet all of the following requirements:
(a) The individual shall report and participate fully in regularly organized practice with each squad;
(b) The individual shall participate where qualified in actual competition in each sport;
(c) The individual shall be a member of each squad for the entire playing and practice season; and
(d) If a recruited student-athlete (per Bylaw 15.02.8), the individual shall have been earnestly recruited to
participate in the sport in which financial aid is counted (the institution recruiting the student-athlete
shall have a reasonable basis to believe that the student-athlete is capable of participating in the institution’s
varsity intercollegiate program in that sport, including documentation of a record of previous
participation in organized competition in the sport that supports the student-athlete’s potential to
participate in that sport in varsity intercollegiate competition). (Revised: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)
15.5.11 Changes in Participation. If a student-athlete changes sports during an academic year, the student-
athlete’s financial aid shall be counted in the maximum limitations for the first sport for the remainder of the
academic year. If the student-athlete continues to receive financial aid, the award shall be counted the next academic
year against the maximum limitations in the second sport. A student-athlete shall be counted as an initial
counter in football during the year in which the student-athlete first becomes countable in that sport, regardless of
whether countable financial aid was received previously for another sport. (Revised: 4/3/02)

page 210 of this document

and definition of "recruited athlete" bylaw referenced

15.02.8 R ecruited Student-Athlete. For purposes of Bylaw 15, a recruited student-athlete is a studentathlete
who, as a prospective student-athlete: (Adopted: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)
(a) Was provided an official visit to the institution’s campus;
(b) Had an arranged, in-person, off-campus encounter with a member of the institution’s coaching staff (including
a coach’s arranged, in-person, off-campus encounter with the prospective student-athlete or the prospective
student-athlete’s parents, relatives or legal guardians); or
(c) Was issued a National Letter of Intent or a written offer of athletically related financial aid by the institution
for a regular academic term.

Reactions: pj

pj

Reaction Score
From the NCAA Division I Manual (usually the authority on this sort of thing)

15.5.10 Multi-Sport Participants.
15.5.10.1 Football. [FBS/FCS] In football, a counter who was recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.8) and/or offered
financial aid to participate in football and who participates (practices or competes) in football and one or more
sports (including basketball) shall be counted in football....
15.5.10.2 Basketball. A counter who practices or competes in basketball and one or more other sports (other
than football) shall be counted in basketball.

In other words, if you play both football and basketball, you count toward the football limit but not the basketball limit.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
so does this mean bl was right or wrong?

also fuchs may be going to visit rutgers this weekend.

Reaction Score
Don't care to read this thread.

But, is his last name pronounced the way I think it is?

Reaction Score
Don't care to read this thread.

But, is his last name pronounced the way I think it is?

I always giggled @ "Pead right in the backfield" but "Fuch in the backfield" may make me snort my beer.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score

I think it means that I was right before I deferred to FCF's definitive (but apparently incorrect) statement. So much for going along to get along.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
In other words, if you play both football and basketball, you count toward the football limit but not the basketball limit.
Are you sure about this?

I've read this ten different times and each time it appears as if either case is correct.

I do know however that unless there were recent changes (and the 08/11 date is very relevant here) a scholarship athlete for football (or any other headcount sport) can only also play basketball (or any other headcount sport) if the school is under their scholarship limit for that sport.

pj

Reaction Score
The manual seems pretty clear. A player playing football and any other sport, including basketball, counts for football. A player playing basketball and any sport other than football counts for basketball.

I think the inclusion of "other than football" clearly indicates that a player playing basketball and football does not count for basketball.

But I'm not a lawyer, I only employ them and read their stuff.

Reaction Score

going to Rutgers, just so he can see how awesome UCONN really is in comparision
kid just wants to go through the normal process of being recruited, to insure he is not bieng rushed-

Reaction Score
kid just wants to go through the normal process of being recruited, to insure he is not bieng rushed-

Coos,
You know this guy?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

i hear ya. its only right to make sure you explore everything. its in the best interest of any recruit to do so. enjoy the weekend. hey ask the new fball coach there to take u guys up in the helicopter for a ride if they still have it. :D.

let us know how the trip went. looking forward to hearing some good news from jordan soon. go huskies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom