Jon Scheyer says Duke will now schedule home and home series | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jon Scheyer says Duke will now schedule home and home series

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The Huskies do have a competitive advantage playing at the XL Center. The UConn players are accustomed to playing with the heavy smell of fryer grease permeating the arena.
Hartford has heart!

Reaction Score
The game should be at XL. Why would we not schedule at a place that would allow 15k people to watch it live instead of 10k.
Have you ever been to XL? It is an awful venue for basketball. The venue is dark and somewhat cavernous. the seats are not on top of the court like they are at Gampel. The best seats are gobbled up by corporate types in suits that politely sit there and have their once a month $12 beer. Even though it is an extra 45 minute drive for me, I wish every game was at Gampel. It is electric. XL is a trickle charge. Unfortunately, UConn sold their soul to the devil, aka the State Legislature, years ago. It was humorous to see the UConn president threaten to pull games from XL if UConn's budget got cut. As long as UConn is subsidized by the state, we are stuck with half our games at XL.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I hear you but I don't think challenging the University's budget is political suicide. The majority of the state either doesn't care about UConn or is in favor of cutting its budget, especially since the University has shown in recent years that they cannot control their costs. They continue to add administration at a high rate. As an example, they have an incredibly high staff count in Admissions. Every year, the number of applications increase to records highs. Why do we need recruiters going to college fairs all over the country? There already are not enough spots for in-state students in Storrs.

Also, this deal with the devil goes back 35+ years. The state funded about 75% of the cost to build Gampel. At the time, UConn agreed that they would still keep about 50% of their home games in Hartford.
I'm not sure whether that last paragraph ever happened, but for a moment, let's assume it did. The (supposed) deal is we have to have half our games in Hartford, but no one has ever alleged that we also agreed to pay an above market lease that is, at best, with a full house a breakeven to having the game in Gampel. As things stand now the inflated lease rate only serves to hide a portion of the CDRA's annual multi million dollar loss in the University of Connecticut athletics department budget. So, the state of Connecticut, pays the University of Connecticut, to pay the athletic department, to pay the CDRA which still shows multi million dollar losses every year. If the state wants the University of Connecticut to support Hartford by playing games in the dilapidated and out of date XL Center they should offer us the use of the facility at no cost to the University.

Reaction Score
The takes in this board are ridiculous but the Boneyard is gonna Boneyard so whatever. We should wanna play Duke and Duke should wanna play us because we’re both top programs. I would prefer we play in Cameron and Storrs but I’m cool with us playing in the Civic Center or MSG I really don’t care I don’t care if we play Duke on Mars.

Reaction Score
Scheyer has two years to get Duke back to a Final Four. After that villagers with torches and pitch folks will be storming the castle.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Scheyer has two years to get Duke back to a Final Four. After that villagers with torches and pitch folks will be storming the castle.
I just hope Flagg's there to hold the creepy baby up high enough to keep it from harm. But, alas, he'll be in the league, so....

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Are you sure about this?

Reaction Score
I’ll take a home and home with dook. I’d love to mop up Cameron with 5 stars.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

Jon Sheyer

Reverse Fran Healy GIF by Travis

Last edited:

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
If we are the basketball capital of the world then you need an appropriate capital building. I understand there are 1,000 reasons this can’t be accomplished but really think about it. Two years after Gampel was built the * started about size. Either make it bigger and play in Hartford or the city needs a new arena designed for basketball.

Reaction Score
Duke loses at home to Arizona despite 8 vs 5 with refs and jay bias pandering for every call. Coach k had a nice view
K looked like Nosferatu last night. Maybe all the blood drained from his face as the game went on and he knew they were going to lose. Glad he sat up out of his coffin long enough to see his protege lose last night and send the fans home cranky on a Friday night.

Reaction Score
Duke seems to lack toughness. Arizona had a few guys with attitude and a couple others with some real bulk.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I was watching the last couple of minutes of the game with fingers crossed for a 77-74 Arizona win just to rub it in :p

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Hand picked successor without head coaching experience is not a good idea. Especially at a top place where you can have your pick of coaches, you’re always better off with someone who has already proven they can do the job at other places.

Duke will always be able to recruit due to brand and NIL, but Scheyer has a lot to prove and if he happens to be one of the best coaches in the sport that would be a big coincidence and is not likely to be the case.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Hand picked successor without head coaching experience is not a good idea. Especially at a top place where you can have your pick of coaches, you’re always better off with someone who has already proven they can do the job at other places.

Duke will always be able to recruit due to brand and NIL, but Scheyer has a lot to prove and if he happens to be one of the best coaches in the sport that would be a big coincidence and is not likely to be the case.
K wanted to be sure that the person running the program at University fit the bill.

Reaction Score

I would have thought you were talking about UConn ten years ago.

Reaction Score
Are you sure about this?

Yeah. It's a difficult thing when an inflated self image pops. Scheyer needs a deep run in the next two years especially after the recruiting splash.

Reaction Score
As the biggest XL hater on this board I can think of a few things worse. For one, not getting a home and home with Duke while the other blue bloods do
XL game vs duke would be awesome. XL, sold out, fox on a Saturday night? Holt crap. That would be huge.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom