Jon Scheyer says Duke will now schedule home and home series | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jon Scheyer says Duke will now schedule home and home series

Reaction Score
If UConn is going to Cameron Indoor then the return game has to be at Gampel. Screw the extra 5,000 seats. They'll get enough from TV for this game.
You don't get anything extra from TV for playing Duke at home. That's not how the TV contracts work. Hopefully, the AD thinks of a potential Duke game as a benefit for season ticket holders, students, and UConn fans.

Reaction Score
I didn't even realize they didn't do this. KU does it, Kentucky does it, most programs do, even if they are selective about who they play. Is there an argument against it? Maybe in some distant past you could claim the ACC season was too tough, but that's nonsense. You'll play good teams in Maui or Charleston or whatever challenge you play, and you can add at least one tough OOC game to that.
How long have you been on the Boneyard? Lol

Reaction Score
You don't get anything extra from TV for playing Duke at home. That's not how the TV contracts work. Hopefully, the AD thinks of a potential Duke game as a benefit for season ticket holders, students, and UConn fans.
How do they treat TV money for out of conference games? I'd have to imagine the schools get more for big games like this than they do for conference games, which are dictated by the conference contract with TV. Are a certain amount of out of conference home games part of that Big East contract?

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Not just wrong, insane. I don't even know where to start with it. For one thing, I don't think players who were born 5 years after the 1999 championship game are going to be scared because we beat them a few times 20 years ago. Who cares if Duke fans want to or don't want to play UConn? It doesn't affect how likely we are to play in the NCAA Tournament or how likely we are to win if we play
So how long did it take the Red Sox to get over the curse of the Bambino. When I was growing up the Yankees beating the Red Sox was a given. Jester believed it. I know baseball players tend to be the most superstitious since it is a game of failure, but they think about it. And that was 50 years after the curse. I get the players will say that it has no impact but is that really true. Just say this year we play Duke in the final four. How many times do you think the media will bring up the track record. How many times will the players read it. Biggest upset in championship history when it happened in 1999. And scared is not the word I used. What did Yogi say 90% of this game is mental the other half is physical. I am guessing you are not a fan of the sage burning ritual. Because on that one we could have some fun. Of course they(the players) would not care if they were not even born when we last beat them. But they will read about it. Sometimes that can be motivation but more often than not, doubt is never something to visualize before a game. I understand fans would like to see this series happen but I just don’t think it is the right thing especially if it’s a Cameron and XL thing. That is kind of a lose/lose imo.

Reaction Score
Just being honest. I don’t want a home and home series with Dook. I would rather just play them in the tourney. We have their number and too many regular season match ups could eliminate that mental edge we currently have. Think about it. If you asked 1000 Dook fans who do you not want to play in the tourney or more specifically the final four, I am thinking we would be the team they would think of. I prefer keeping it that way. I forget what year it was maybe 2009 we played them in MSG some early season tourney. We competed for awhile but there were some questionable calls, and my wife had to get me out of there because when Dook started winning and talking trash it was too easy. I remember saying you guys are a lot better in a meaningless early season tourney than the final four. Because if this was the final four we would be winning and you would be traveling or getting scorched in the second half by a better team. That almost led to blows. My wife grabbed me and we left, with me hurling insults to all the Dook fans in the area. Point being we have the edge right now. Regular season games would dilute that. Now I am ready for everyone to say how wrong this thinking is.
Actually lost to them on December 18, 2014 in East Rutherford - the duke fans were super obnoxious and way too many of them.

Reaction Score
So how long did it take the Red Sox to get over the curse of the Bambino. When I was growing up the Yankees beating the Red Sox was a given. Jester believed it. I know baseball players tend to be the most superstitious since it is a game of failure, but they think about it. And that was 50 years after the curse. I get the players will say that it has no impact but is that really true.
Yes, it's really true. That curse was something fans cared about and didn't remotely affect the players mindset of whether they could win a series against the Yankees

Just say this year we play Duke in the final four. How many times do you think the media will bring up the track record. How many times will the players read it. Biggest upset in championship history when it happened in 1999.
They might bring it up a bunch, but the track record is not nearly as one sided as you imply. We don't even have a winning record all time against Duke

And scared is not the word I used. What did Yogi say 90% of this game is mental the other half is physical. I am guessing you are not a fan of the sage burning ritual. Because on that one we could have some fun. Of course they(the players) would not care if they were not even born when we last beat them. But they will read about it. Sometimes that can be motivation but more often than not, doubt is never something to visualize before a game. I understand fans would like to see this series happen but I just don’t think it is the right thing especially if it’s a Cameron and XL thing. That is kind of a lose/lose imo.
No, the players won't read about it. They won't even care about the hypothetical articles being written. You come across as scared to play Duke, you shouldn't be. We're UConn

Reaction Score
How do they treat TV money for out of conference games? I'd have to imagine the schools get more for big games like this than they do for conference games, which are dictated by the conference contract with TV. Are a certain amount of out of conference home games part of that Big East contract?
No, the Big East media contract controls all home games hosted by a Big East school. So, it doesn't matter if UConn plays Duke or Stonehill at home in a given year. Over the long run, the media partners want a conference to schedule good out of conference games to enhance the schedule.

As a side note, with ESPN the media partner of the ACC and FOX the media partner of the Big East, a game between Duke and UConn will be hard, but not impossible, to schedule.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
One of them sucker punched my brother walking out at that game and I got arrested that night lol. Stupid game
I was lucky I did not get a ride that night. All props to my wife. I maybe had a few too many beers before and during. But once we left and I had attitude adjustment assistance, we had a great time bar hopping that night. That game I think was the Friday after Thanksgiving. We had just gotten married the year before there is nothing like New York during Christmas. Everything about that weekend was great except the game. And I just went back and looked Scheyer was a starting guard on that team. I really don’t like Dook…..

Reaction Score
Absolutely not!! We don’t need Duke!! The big East is far more competitive then the ACC!! I really don’t like Duke and there fan base. Don’t do it UCONN!!!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Why give Scheyer and Dook the privilege of playing UConn anywhere but during the dance
Screw that wimp and Dook

Reaction Score
I’m not sure why we’d want to play them. They’re a weaker team than most of our conference opponents. If they want to play us maybe they should try to get past the 1st or 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament.

Reaction Score
I vote for playing it in Hartford. It would be the biggest event in Hartford since the 1990 tournament games vs BU and Cal. Those games were nuts. Or maybe the 1987 Whaler series vs Montreal. Went to game 6 and never sat down. Greatest crowd I have been part of and I have been to several big games. Yvonne f….n Cornyourner. Years later some lady I worked with and could stand tells me she is his cousin. I pretty near puked. Whale totally outplayed the Canadians in game 7 but Patrick Roy was insanely hot

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
O.K. you're wrong. How many times has UConn played Duke in the NCAA Tournament in the last 20 years? Once. Way back in 2004. The probability of them facing each other in the NCAA Tournament is pretty small. That is a lame reason not to schedule a home and home.
If you went back 25 years instead of 20, UConn beat Duke in 1999 and they were supposedly the best team ever.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom