Johnny selvie | The Boneyard

Johnny selvie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just watched the 02 big east tourn final and I was wondering selvies story. I know a lot of yarders make jokes about him but I was only 14 when he was here so i don't remember his deal. In the game I just watched he was pretty useless out there but that's a small sample.

So can anyone fill me in on how he got here, the expectations for him, and how his career ended up and will be remembered

Reaction Score
Jonny was solid, he had a few moves around the basket...played decent defense. sometimes he tried to do too much and turn the ball over, and was known to make a bone head play from time to time. One thing he could do is run the floor. He is from Flint, and i think he was a juco transfer.. cool dude, used to chill with him over the summer when i was a undergrad. he was living in New London for a while, but not sure now..

Reaction Score
So as a college student he enjoyed partying. Thanks guys I'm going to write a book about him just based on the valuable information collected in this thread so far :p

Reaction Score
Saw Johnnie-Time, Tony R and Taliek at Electric Blue one night.......all seemed like good guys!!''

Johnnie-Time was a street baller so he brought a little bit of everything to the table - swagger, flash, frustration, wackiness, toughness......you name it!!:confused:

Reaction Score
So as a college student he enjoyed partying. Thanks guys I'm going to write a book about him just based on the valuable information collected in this thread so far :p

The thing is Bryan he was no longer a college student and hadn't been for a couple years. Just a full time partier ;)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Just watched the 02 big east tourn final and I was wondering selvies story. I know a lot of yarders make jokes about him but I was only 14 when he was here so i don't remember his deal. In the game I just watched he was pretty useless out there but that's a small sample.

So can anyone fill me in on how he got here, the expectations for him, and how his career ended up and will be remembered

He was on the Junior College National Championship team the year before he got here and was supposed to be the logical replacement for Kevin Freeman as UConn's next lunch pail power forward. Freeman was smaller and leaner, but was also smarter and had more heart, IMO. I never thought Selvie was the sharpest knife in the drawer, even basketball-wise. Because I held him to the Freeman standard, he never met my expectations.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Did he come in with deng, majok ect hype?

He was a Junior College transfer. He was not proclaimed the next big thing, but I think we needed solid big men at the time and people hoped he could provide some relief there.

Johnny Selvie used yell something like "It's Johnny time" everytime he came into the game.

Johnny Selvie was a black hole. Once he got the ball that was pretty much it.

Johnny Selive once killed two stones with one bird.

Reaction Score
NO - he was a JUCO transfer, not hugely hyped. He was a serviceable player, tough, but definitely prone to a bonehead play as someone mentioned above. I had a poli sci class with him, Tony Rob, and Mike Hayes my sophomore year. Never heard three guys laugh harder when they found out that one of our former presidents was also named Hayes...

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
My favorite Johnny Time story which encompasses all of the above about him:

My roomate and Johnny were playing beer pong (10 cup) on spring weekend IIRC. They were getting torched, down to their last cup, and my roomate had made all 5 cups they had hit. Johnny knocked down cup number 6, turned to my roomate and said: "Yo, I'm carryin yo ass."

Reaction Score
My memories of Selvie:
Tough, fairly talented offensively, stepped on baseline alot, very few assists. Pretty much the same as other guys remember.

Reaction Score
Actually, another funny Selvie story... I play on rec hoops team out here in CHI with a guy who played AAU ball with Selvie (this guy is also from Flint, and walked on at Mich St). We were talking college hoops and when I found out he was from Flint, I of course immediately asked about Selvie, found out they played AAU together etc. He told me that the last time he had seen Johnnie was right when he'd signed on to UConn. He congratulated him and Selvie's response was something to the effect of "All I want out of this is to knock up some rich white girl so I dont have to work after UConn."

Reaction Score
Actually, another funny Selvie story... I play on rec hoops team out here in CHI with a guy who played AAU ball with Selvie (this guy is also from Flint, and walked on at Mich St). We were talking college hoops and when I found out he was from Flint, I of course immediately asked about Selvie, found out they played AAU together etc. He told me that the last time he had seen Johnnie was right when he'd signed on to UConn. He congratulated him and Selvie's response was something to the effect of "All I want out of this is to knock up some rich white girl so I dont have to work after UConn."

... and there you have it. HOF post.

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
I remember watching games on TV and It looked like Johnnie had just woke up about 3 minutes before the opening tip. It was like someone had to run to the dorm and go get him.

Reaction Score
i actually think he accomplished this... although im not sure if his baby ma is white, or puerto rican. lol

Reaction Score
Johhny had only one problem which was piss-poor eyesight. Once he had the ball he could only see the rim and that was from anywhere on the court, even from the bench.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Johnny Selvie was a black hole. Once he got the ball that was pretty much it.

While true, the inference is a bad rap. He was an excellent inside scorer. When he got the ball inside it was his job to put it up. But those drop steps over the base line killed me every time.

Reaction Score
Sounds like he was on the wrong end of JCs quick hook pretty often if that was the case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom