John Silver's Saturday Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just Sharing.

Silver’s Saturday thoughts

October 27th, 2012 11:05 am

Some pointed commentary on talent and our offensive woes but in a nutshell:

"I just don’t see any plausible scenario where Pasqualoni gets removed barring off the field issues.
There are several things I want everyone to consider with Pasqualoni and his status. First off, the collateral damage from getting rid of a coach after two years — especially this one with experience and a track record — is absolutely devastating. It projects weakness as a program and indecision. Hiring a coach is getting married and you have to stick with that hire through thick and thin. If the Huskies remove Pasqualoni, it would signal a major change. That means the entire program would be gutted including assistants. That’s just not something you do lightly since a lot of Pasqualoni’s staff are holdovers from Edsall’s staff, and continuity is a big reason for success. A move now would be detonating the football program. Is it worth it? You better be sure, because it would get worse before it got better.

Manuel is also a strong leader, and he isn’t going to make a rash decision that fans or donors want. Donors? Yes, if Pasqualoni leaves the Huskies have to come up with $1 million buyout, $750,000 if after Jan. 1 (too late anyway). That has to come from somewhere. A donor? Manuel isn’t going to let a donor run his athletic department. The moment you allow a donor to do that, the AD cedes control of all activities. Some places it works, but that’s with overwhelming amounts of money like T. Boone Pickens at Oklahoma State. I highly doubt UConn is going to turn into a place like that. Now, with UConn President Susan Herbst adamantly advocating athletic departments “re-joining” the university community, I see little chance of a donor stepping in even if that person would pony up the cash. The thought of UConn paying its football coach $1 million to go away and then hiring someone for $2 million is a political non-starter here.

Athletic departments aren’t flush with cash, and UConn hasn’t bought a coach out in any sport in a very long time. The last major coach to be fired from football was Tom Jackson, right? That was 20 years ago. UConn doesn’t fire coaches. That’s not the culture here.

Change doesn’t come easy in Storrs. The land of steady habits indeed."

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah didn't bother to post. Sounds like the media is confident they are coming back. Michigan on schedule saves them. Would sell 20k season tickets if lucky without UM.

Reaction Score
Yeah didn't bother to post. Sounds like the media is confident they are coming back. Michigan on schedule saves them. Would sell 20k season tickets if lucky without UM.

I debated but it seems that some folks only get their Husky news/fix here... why should we be the only ones with agita!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I debated but it seems that some folks only get their Husky news/fix here... why should we be the only ones with agita!

Yeah it's just too depressing reading it. If this school makes a bowl before 2015 it will be a surprise at this point. Over/under will be 3.5 next year with this staff.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm not clear on why the search couldn't begin at basically the same time it began two years ago (Jan 2 or shortly after) as we (supposedly) did run a thorough job search before landing PP. Added to this is the fact that WM was not the guy who married PP and, if a marriage has to run a few years (for appearances) why does the men's hoops marriage need to only last eight months (unless the hire proves he is worthy of more time than this)? I will admit that I have posted a few times how I do not see similarities (in general) with the two positions but, under these criteria there are absolute parallels that should be addressed. For the record I also do not see KO's situation as an issue and I firmly believe he will be extended before the Super Bowl.

One thing that hasn't been addressed by the media (which is very common in this line of work) is the possibility of some significant assistants moving on in order to bring in someone who those in charge (WM) believe can do better. This will not devastate the program.

Finally, yes he is correct, we do not normally fire coaches but until a little more than a year ago we did not fire athletic directors either.

Reaction Score
I'm not clear on why the search couldn't begin at basically the same time it began two years ago (Jan 2 or shortly after) as we (supposedly) did run a thorough job search before landing PP. Added to this is the fact that WM was not the guy who married PP and, if a marriage has to run a few years (for appearances) why does the men's hoops marriage need to only last eight months (unless the hire proves he is worthy of more time than this)? I will admit that I have posted a few times how I do not see similarities (in general) with the two positions but, under these criteria there are absolute parallels that should be addressed. For the record I also do not see KO's situation as an issue and I firmly believe he will be extended before the Super Bowl.

One thing that hasn't been addressed by the media (which is very common in this line of work) is the possibility of some significant assistants moving on in order to bring in someone who those in charge (WM) believe can do better. This will not devastate the program.

Finally, yes he is correct, we do not normally fire coaches but until a little more than a year ago we did not fire athletic directors either.

Hadn't thought about firing of AD, you are right. Uconn needs to make the right decision related to program. PP is not the answer, sooner act on that the better. Decision delayed is not a decision improved.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

UConn doesn't fire coaches because they happened to hire two hall of fame basketball coaches and the first football coach they hired when they joined the 'big time' did his job. The argument that UConn doesn't fire coaches would make sense if they didn't fire coaches that deserve to get fired.

Unless you are basing things on allowing Tom Jackson more years than he deserved.... that was almost 20 years ago.

Reaction Score
The "UConn doesn't fire coaches" comment is EXACTLY what needs to change for this program move forward. People on here get it...Jacobs seems to get it...but until the beat guys get it things won't change.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
The "UConn doesn't fire coaches" comment is EXACTLY what needs to change for this program move forward. People on here get it...Jacobs seems to get it...but until the beat guys get it things won't change.

Ummm... you know they report the news not make the decisions? Right?

Reaction Score
Ummm... you know they report the news not make the decisions? Right?
Ummmm yup...and just like every other BIG TIME program...at some point the beat guys have to call a spade a spade.

Reaction Score
Athletic departments aren’t flush with cash, and UConn hasn’t bought a coach out in any sport in a very long time. The last major coach to be fired from football was Tom Jackson, right? That was 20 years ago. UConn doesn’t fire coaches. That’s not the culture here.

The fans not the media are the ones that buy tickets, and I for one am not going to throw my money away watching a bad product. Winning is everything, now I'm not saying you should cheat to win but winning does bring success.. the better the merchandise the better the sales. MW should just look at the Big East and that "lets just sit back and watch how it all plays out attitude" and see how that worked out.

The deeper the hole the harder the climb, coach P is the grave digger.

Reaction Score
Keeping a coach, just for the sake of not firing him is also ludicrous. The only reason to keep PP is if WM truly believes things have a chance of getting better. I don't see financial considerations as season tickets will drop dramatically if PP is kept.

Reaction Score
Warde should not let a donor make the decision. But if he makes the decision he should go get the donors to pay for it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Keeping a coach, just for the sake of not firing him is also ludicrous. The only reason to keep PP is if WM truly believes things have a chance of getting better. I don't see financial considerations as season tickets will drop dramatically if PP is kept.

There actually is one other reason to wait. If you were confident you'd be in a different conference position after the 2013 season giving you an opportunity to hire a better candidate that would be a reason to wait. Really there is no reason why Warde would be confident for that reason that I can see - but that would be a legitimate reason.

Reaction Score
A move now would be detonating the football program. Is it worth it? You better be sure, because it would get worse before it got better.

I agree you'd better be sure but if the program is on a downward trajectory and you're starting to look like you belong in the bottom half of the MAC you have to ask yourself, "worse than what?"

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Thats a legitimate question. How does this get worse? Lose to Buffalo?

Reaction Score
where is that money going to come from? sell 7,000 more tickets per ONE season of home games and that is roughly $1.25M. however, since attendance will likely be down every year this staff is in place (Michigan game notwithstanding), the AD will be losing money yr/yr.

and anyone who says "the damage changing a coach after two years does" should ask Lousiville if they wished they replaced Kragthorpe with Strong one year earlier or even Syracuse if they wished they could ahve had Marrone one year earlier. PP is shaping up to be as bad as those two coaches. Another idiotic comment from the beat writers.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
where is that money going to come from? sell 7,000 more tickets per ONE season of home games and that is roughly $1.25M.

How did you arrive at that number again?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
looks like:

7000 tix
7 games (49000 tix)
$25 each
1.25 mil (give or take)

Don't we have 6 home games typically? Also, do you think it is free to be in Rentschler field? It costs us 170k alone for each game to Rentschler without counting concessions, parking, or overtime for police. And after all that, I'm not even sure that there isn't a cut for the people that make or organize the tickets (your typical "Ticketmaster" cut or whomever). The numbers don't add up to 1.25 mil in any case, even with an extra 7k people in the stands...

Reaction Score
UCONN doesn't have a history of firing coaches because they usually hire competent coaches. Canning P pays for itself with increased ticket sales and increased sales of merchandise plus P is making $1.6 million, and Deleone is making alot I am sure. If Warde can find a coach he likes for 1 million in year one the move will more than pay for itself.

I usually like J Silver's writing, but his his opinions here are nauseating. Get these clowns off the stage!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
If Warde can find a coach he likes for 1 million in year one the move will more than pay for itself.

How did you arrive at this number again?? I'm not trying to bust stones here, people, but some of you are flinging around numbers without doing any math...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom