John Silver's Saturday Thoughts | Page 6 | The Boneyard

John Silver's Saturday Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He has sung the praises of PP or DB and completely turned on them in a matter of weeks.

At the first sign of adversity, he goes 180 degrees.

in his defense, so have the results

and its not the first sign. the last 5 weeks have been separate disasters, each seemingly worse than the last. most people gave a pass for ncst (still working on the offense - early in the season), MD was a good emotional win.

then:
WMU basically destroyed us on both ends
A very bad buffalo team kept it way too close
We scored 3 against rutty (probably our biggest rival)
Lost to temple after being up early. TEMPLE !!!
Possibly the most embarrassing loss ive seen, against cuse (other big rival)

this isnt ONE bad event. this is a spiral into the toilet. Everyone copes in different ways. I dont feel exactly the same way hfd does...but i certainly dont fault him for dealing with this in his own way

Reaction Score
This could be disastrous if true. Because their recruiting doesn't look to be measurably better, and the definitely couldn't coach to save their lives.

I've said before, and I really think it is true, that this staff came in and decided that there simply wasn't much talent here. I have a real sense that they have essentially thrown up their hands and are trying to rebuild from the ground up. And while it might be somewhat true that we never had all that much in terms of talent,as Silver suggests, under Edsall there was an assumption that we couldn't get it so to succeed we would have to coach players up. And they did it pretty well. Heck, we had two or three walk-ons who went on to play in the NFL. We had a kid ranked as a 2 star linebacker who played 4 years as a fullback and is now playing in the NFL. I think you saw it in the fact that Edsall teams were usually among the least penalized in the league, they seldom lost games they should have won, and seldom lost to MAC-level teams. Does anyone think that this team, playing this schedule would be 3-5/0-2 at this point under Edsall? Problem was Edsall never got beyond recruiting those types of players and therefore our ceiling was limited.

I have a sense both from watching, listening and talking with a few people who know both Deleone and Pasqualoni, that there is a very different attitude with them. they aren't all that focused on taking a 2-star and making him an NFL draft choice. Rather they are looking to improve recruiting to a higher level and coach better players. That was essentially the game plan that Pasqualoni laid out for Hathaway and the selection committee when he got the job. To a degree it is reflective of where the program was when each of the coaches arrived. Edsall started in trailers. Pasqualoni came from the NFL, a major program at Syracuse and had Shenkman. Coaching guys up isn't part of his DNA. It was out of necessity for Edsall. I'm not sure that P's approach will work, and I'm pretty disappointed that they effectively gave up on the existing team, but I truly think that is what is going on here.

Reaction Score
I've said before, and I really think it is true, that this staff came in and decided that there simply wasn't much talent here. I have a real sense that they have essentially thrown up their hands and are trying to rebuild from the ground up. And while it might be somewhat true that we never had all that much in terms of talent,as Silver suggests, under Edsall there was an assumption that we couldn't get it so to succeed we would have to coach players up. And they did it pretty well. Heck, we had two or three walk-ons who went on to play in the NFL. We had a kid ranked as a 2 star linebacker who played 4 years as a fullback and is now playing in the NFL. I think you saw it in the fact that Edsall teams were usually among the least penalized in the league, they seldom lost games they should have won, and seldom lost to MAC-level teams. Does anyone think that this team, playing this schedule would be 3-5/0-2 at this point under Edsall? Problem was Edsall never got beyond recruiting those types of players and therefore our ceiling was limited.

I have a sense both from watching, listening and talking with a few people who know both Deleone and Pasqualoni, that there is a very different attitude with them. they aren't all that focused on taking a 2-star and making him an NFL draft choice. Rather they are looking to improve recruiting to a higher level and coach better players. That was essentially the game plan that Pasqualoni laid out for Hathaway and the selection committee when he got the job. To a degree it is reflective of where the program was when each of the coaches arrived. Edsall started in trailers. Pasqualoni came from the NFL, a major program at Syracuse and had Shenkman. Coaching guys up isn't part of his DNA. It was out of necessity for Edsall. I'm not sure that P's approach will work, and I'm pretty disappointed that they effectively gave up on the existing team, but I truly think that is what is going on here.

I do think that is their gameplan. My problem from the moment the hiring was made was that I didn't doubt that they could somewhat improve recruiting, but that they would have to improve it by light years to actually put a more successful team on the field. Nothing that has happened to date has caused me to doubt my initial thoughts. Frankly, I am somewhat disappointed by how marginal our improvements on the recruiting trail have been, although, in fairness, the conference BS has been an unexpected added impediment,.

Reaction Score
I'm not clear on why the search couldn't begin at basically the same time it began two years ago (Jan 2 or shortly after) as we (supposedly) did run a thorough job search before landing PP. Added to this is the fact that WM was not the guy who married PP and, if a marriage has to run a few years (for appearances) why does the men's hoops marriage need to only last eight months (unless the hire proves he is worthy of more time than this)? I will admit that I have posted a few times how I do not see similarities (in general) with the two positions but, under these criteria there are absolute parallels that should be addressed. For the record I also do not see KO's situation as an issue and I firmly believe he will be extended before the Super Bowl.

One thing that hasn't been addressed by the media (which is very common in this line of work) is the possibility of some significant assistants moving on in order to bring in someone who those in charge (WM) believe can do better. This will not devastate the program.

Finally, yes he is correct, we do not normally fire coaches but until a little more than a year ago we did not fire athletic directors either.
Doesn't ko's contract prove the point. If you know a 3 year contract means we have KO for three years because we don't fire or buyout, doesn't that support why WM gave a short leash to start.

Reaction Score
I do think that is their gameplan. My problem from the moment the hiring was made was that I didn't doubt that they could somewhat improve recruiting, but that they would have to improve it by light years to actually put a more successful team on the field. Nothing that has happened to date has caused me to doubt my initial thoughts. Frankly, I am somewhat disappointed by how marginal our improvements on the recruiting trail have been, although, in fairness, the conference BS has been an unexpected added impediment,.
PP has had one recruiting class. Have any of those recruits, which would be true freshman, performed below expectation. I am just as unhappy with PP and where we are this year but are we really going to complain about his recruiting?
I actually recall an overall positive attitude towards the last recruiting class.
What's changed?

Reaction Score

Thank you for the well thought-out post. Not many of you will agree with you. Heck, I'm not sure I do. But it's something to think about which doesn't involve me being particularly angry at anybody, and for that, I appreciate it.

Reaction Score
PP has had one recruiting class. Have any of those recruits, which would be true freshman, performed below expectation. I am just as unhappy with PP and where we are this year but are we really going to complain about his recruiting?
I actually recall an overall positive attitude towards the last recruiting class.
What's changed?

Did you actually read what I wrote? Because your comments on it don't reflect that you did.

Reaction Score
Did you actually read what I wrote? Because your comments on it don't reflect that you did.

Your post...
"Frankly, I am somewhat disappointed by how marginal our improvements on the recruiting trail have been, although, in fairness, the conference BS has been an unexpected added impediment,."

I took that to mean you were disappointed in the marginal improvement of PP's recruiting while giving him a little break for the conference alignment impact. By disappointed, I took that to mean you had higher expectations (and that you said you had higher expectations in your post)... Is that not what you meant?
All I'm suggesting is that I really don't agree that you can make a judgement on PP's recruiting. He's had one class and I haven't seen anything to suggest that his recruiting is better or worse than Edsell's. I do feel that many posters here were bullish on some of PP's recruits coming into the season including the additions at QB.

Reaction Score
Your post...
"Frankly, I am somewhat disappointed by how marginal our improvements on the recruiting trail have been, although, in fairness, the conference BS has been an unexpected added impediment,."

I took that to mean you were disappointed in the marginal improvement of PP's recruiting while giving him a little break for the conference alignment impact. By disappointed, I took that to mean you had higher expectations (and that you said you had higher expectations in your post)... Is that not what you meant?
All I'm suggesting is that I really don't agree that you can make a judgement on PP's recruiting. He's had one class and I haven't seen anything to suggest that his recruiting is better or worse than Edsell's. I do feel that many posters here were bullish on some of PP's recruits coming into the season including the additions at QB.

I made clear that I think that P, so far, has made improvemnts in recruiting, but not nearly the improvements he would need to accomplish what Edsall did here. I'm not criticizing his recruiting but noting that it will have to be much better than somewhat better than Edsall for him to achieve here what Edsall did.

Reaction Score
I made clear that I think that P, so far, has made improvemnts in recruiting, but not nearly the improvements he would need to accomplish what Edsall did here. I'm not criticizing his recruiting but noting that it will have to be much better than somewhat better than Edsall for him to achieve here what Edsall did.
OK... So while not criticizing PP's recruiting, you somehow suggested it's not where it needs to be. And I responded by saying that any judgement on PP's recruiting is a little premature.

Not sure as to where you think the disconnect is. Sounds like we understand each other but disagree. I'm sure it's not the first time two poster disagreed.

Reaction Score
I'm not criticizing his recruiting, so I don't know why it matters that it would be premature to criticize his recruiting.

Reaction Score

This is a very good post and it could be right on the money.

If that is the assessment of the coaching staff, then I believe they are just flat out wrong. Does UCONN recruit as a top 10-15 program? Of course not. But, the talent level here has been just fine to compete just below that level. Far, far too much emphasis is placed on recruiting site rankings rather than assessing performance on the field. Our defense lacks athletes? We may very well have 7 of the current defensive starters in an NFL draft if not at least in a camp (all 2*s btw).

Regardless, it's the wrong strategy. These guys have put the program at risk to put an offensive system in place that does not match our personnel. The original post is absolutely correct. Under Edsall, we would have been in a bowl both last season and this. These knuckleheaads may very well have us digging out of a hole. Good luck recruiting talent under that scenario.

Reaction Score
I'm not criticizing his recruiting, so I don't know why it matters that it would be premature to criticize his recruiting.
When you suggested that PP's recruiting was below your expectations and only showing a marginal improvement, would that not be a form of judgement or criticism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom