Joey Calcaterra commits to UConn - San Diego transfer | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Joey Calcaterra commits to UConn - San Diego transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He looks like he has some skills. I don’t know enough about the San Diego roster to know why he only scored 8ppg. Looks like he can create a little and has a textbook stroke from deep. He may see the court a fair amount.
By point of comparison AJ was a starter and averaged 6.8 per game and the tape showed Calacaterra taking contested 3s and taking the ball to the hole which AJ cannot do. I'll take this guy in a second.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Looks like a great addition. Depth, shooting, maybe some late game poise and FT shooting from a veteran player. Leaves a scholarship for next year. He gets to play Big East basketball and enjoy a bit more glamour plus get a year of grad school paid for. Win win for UConn and Joey.

Not sure they fill the 12th spot or what we'd need but I'd expect more "developmental" rather than another grad transfer. There aren't any more minutes to go around.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
we need an updated roster chart :)
1655214874673.jpeg

I pulled this off tcf15’s Twitter.

(@tcf15, let me know if you would prefer that I didn’t do that.)

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
because bigs take more time to develop and johnson is still very raw by all accounts. i dont want to bring in a 3rd string PF/C to take PT from samson when it looks like he might only average ~10 mpg this year as is. i dont want him to bloom into a future pro on another team. just look at a traditional depth chart. i realize we have positional versatility but if we predominantly play a 4 out w/ AJ at the 4 then we could use depth at SF more than PF/C.

Newton - Diarra
Alleyne - Calcaterra
Hawkins - ???
Jackson - Karaban - Johnson
Sanoogo - Clingan - Springs
I don’t think anyone wants to bring in a 5 who will play 10mpg as a part of the rotation. We need a mid major grad transfer who wants a chance to experience the NCAAs, understanding there is probably little to no PT if all goes well, but who could be a serviceable center for 15-20 per game if Sanogo goes down.

Reaction Score
This kid isn’t going to play lol

Hopefully, correct. But we played an NIT game a few years ago relying heavily on Dan Guess, a former GW schollie player who then walked on to UConn and got no play at all until injuries added up. And lost a game at a ranked Houston team three years ago because a walk on who was in because we ran out of players that evening took the last shot.

You get 13 scholarships. Having the last few spots filled by a Division 1 basketball player, as opposed to a walk on, is a good thing.

Reaction Score
Why not? If he can make shots why would we sit him?
He'll play. Anyone who scored 19, 11, and 10 points against Gonzaga in their last 3 games is good enough to play some minutes at a high level.

In his last couple of seasons he's scored 18pts @ UCLA, 12pts vs Nevada, 17pts vs Stanford, 10pts @ Colorado, 11pts vs St Bonnies. In the shortened 2021 season he scored double figures in 10/12 games that he played in. I can easily see him getting 8ish MPG, possibly more depending on foul situations/injuries.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Seems like a nice kid. None of us knew who he was before yesterday, so really impressed by all the armchair analysis.

In any event, it’s mid-June, he is definitely better than an empty chair and he seems like a good locker room guy. Fine.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If a) we have an available scholarship b) the kid is a grad student who will only use that scholarship for one year c) he is somewhat capable of playing at (even a low) D-1 level and d) he won't be a detriment in the locker room there is no downside to this.

Reaction Score
He'll play. Anyone who scored 19, 11, and 10 points against Gonzaga in their last 3 games is good enough to play some minutes at a high level.

In his last couple of seasons he's scored 18pts @ UCLA, 12pts vs Nevada, 17pts vs Stanford, 10pts @ Colorado, 11pts vs St Bonnies. In the shortened 2021 season he scored double figures in 10/12 games that he played in. I can easily see him getting 8ish MPG, possibly more depending on foul situations/injuries.
Are you looking at the right guy? He had 2 points on 6 shots (0 AST, 3 TOs) 1/28/21, 10 points on 11 shots (1 AST, 2 TOs) 02/20/21, and 12 points on 10 shots (1 AST, 2 TOs) 2/3/22 in his last 3 against the Zags.

His team lost by 30, 37, and 28 in those games.

02/27/20 he did have 19 points on 12 shots (0 AST, 1 TO). Game before that same season he had 4 points on 6 shots (0 AST, 2 TOs) 1/9/20. They lost those games by 44 and 35.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Seems like a nice kid. None of us knew who he was before yesterday, so really impressed by all the armchair analysis.

In any event, it’s mid-June, he is definitely better than an empty chair and he seems like a good locker room guy. Fine.
Yes but can he guard a chair?

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I never pegged you as a millennial...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics