Joey Calcaterra commits to UConn - San Diego transfer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Joey Calcaterra commits to UConn - San Diego transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
they did? i thought it was 1 more before joey committed.
And, with three more open scholarships, there’s more to come.

“We feel like we want to be at 12 (scholarships),” Hurley said. “We want the flexibility of not going beyond 12, especially with the state of the game.”

Reaction Score
A veteran shooter from a very good mid-major league. Excellent usage of the last scholarship.
I thought we were now at 11 scholarship players and the two walk ons
Sanogo, Springs, Clingan, Johnson, Jackson, Karaban, Newton, Diarra, Alleyne, Hawkins and now Calcaterra.
Wouldn't that leave us two more schollies if DH chooses to use them for the right piece (save one for Castle?).

Reaction Score
Our guard depth looks really good now. Diarra and Joey as your 5th and 6th guards is fantastic and about as good as you can wish for in today’s portal world. Probably going to bring in a forward of some capacity for the last scholarship (assuming the 13th is saved for Castle or whoever wants a mid year reclass)

Reaction Score
where does staff go with the last spot they want to fill this summer? IMO it's gotta be a SF since theyre assuredly keeping the 13th scholly open for castle and we have a glut of bigs that will be killing each other for PT as is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mark My Words

This team is going to be REALLY good. Dan Hurley’s best yet. With all this versatility the answer as to whether he’s the man that can coach us to the promise land one day will be answered this season. So much versatility

Reaction Score
where does staff go with the last spot they want to fill this summer? IMO it's gotta be a SF since theyre assuredly keeping the 13th scholly open for castle and we have a glut of PFs that will be killing each other for PT as is.
My guess is a veteran forward who plays the 4 and maybe a little 5 if needed. Karaban and Johnson are both super green so it would be good for them to have a veteran guy to go against them in practice. Also if doomsday happens and Sanogo goes down, we cannot be running Clingan out there for 25MPG. We need more depth up front

Reaction Score
He looks like he has some skills. I don’t know enough about the San Diego roster to know why he only scored 8ppg.
Former St. john's role player Marcellus Earlington (the original bowling ball before Addae-Wusu) was their offenses focal point. And he's not very good, so read into that as you will.

Looking at Calcaterra's stats, I'm horrified by how many "2pt Js" San Diego took. Like everybody. It's so bizarre. They had 6 guys with over 40% of their shots coming on 2pt Js. Only Sanogo was at that level for us (his hooks usually count as that for stats purposes). They only had 2 guys take >40% of their shots from 3 (Calcaterra was one, right at 41%). We had 5. They were just about last in the country in 3PA, but also didn't give up very many. They played a "nobody shoots 3s" style.

As an individual, Calcaterra's ON/OFF defensive numbers are atrocious, so I wouldn't expect him to help us on that side of the ball at all. He gets to the rim about as often as Polley used to and he basically never draws any fouls. Spot up shooter statistical profile, and I expect him to shoot about 37% from 3 (I expect Hurley to cut out any long 2s from his game). That's roughly his career numbers and what he shot in non-conf last year, but he had a big slump in conference play. He's going to be pretty deep towards the bottom of the rotation, I think.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My guess is a veteran forward who plays the 4 and maybe a little 5 if needed.
then you can probably kiss johnson goodbye next summer. i really dont care about a sanogo backup. we have several and if our best player goes down the season is over regardless. it's not worth alienating several other players for a break glass in case of emergency backup that will further squeeze samson and springs for PT.

Reaction Score
This one came out of left field. I don't remember seeing anything about him. Or maybe I just missed it.

Reaction Score
Our team doesn't need a transformational shooter.. We now have some very good shooters. Can he give us 12-15 minutes a game as a two way player in DH's system? I think so. Will he be a good teammate? I think so. Will he make our guards/wings better in practice? I think so.. A win/win for us and him..

Reaction Score
then you can probably kiss johnson goodbye next summer. i really dont care about a sanogo backup. we have several and if our best player goes down the season is over regardless. it's not worth alienating several other players for a break glass in case of emergency backup that will further squeeze samson and springs for PT.

Intentionally going into a season with only 10 scholarship players out of fear of alienating the existing bench would be idiotic. We're trying to get to a final four, being aggressive is necessary, this isn't a CYO league.

Reaction Score
“I felt like UConn was the best fit for my game coming into this last year,” he said. “It’s a historic, winning program that has established itself on the highest level. Coach [Dan] Hurley and his staff really sold me on it. I felt like it was a place where I could help an already great team and come in and help them even more.”

Alternate free link:

UConn men’s basketball team lands another guard as Joey Calcaterra transfers in from University of San Diego

Reaction Score
We've brought in some good solid three point shooters but they are pretty brutal on 2% fg's across the board.

Not worried about Newton but the other guys clearly haven't been finishers in their careers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom