Joey Calcaterra commits to UConn - San Diego transfer | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Joey Calcaterra commits to UConn - San Diego transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Intentionally going into a season with only 10 scholarship players out of fear of alienating the existing bench would be idiotic. We're trying to get to a final four, being aggressive is necessary, this isn't a CYO league.
what are you talking about? we have 11 already and i said we should add a SF not a big since we will be playing a 4 out...never said we should stay at 10...try to read the posts before calling something idiotic.

Reaction Score
I mean I’m sure he will technically be on the court at some point, but no chance he is playing meaningful minutes without injuries.

This guy isn't coming out of the Southland conference. He was a 25+mpg guy the last three years in a top-10 league, and he can shoot and score. He's going to play real minutes. Not 20mpg, but he's going to be a rotation guy, especially if Hurley is going to play 3-4 guards all the time.

Reaction Score
Experience. Welcome Joey! Earn those minutes bud!

1655163001234.gif

Reaction Score
then you can probably kiss johnson goodbye next summer. i really dont care about a sanogo backup. we have several and if our best player goes down the season is over regardless. it's not worth alienating several other players for a break glass in case of emergency backup that will further squeeze samson and springs for PT.
Why? If Johnson wants to be a starter here, then he should have to expect to compete for the starting role. You don’t get handed started positions at UConn by sticking around (ask Richie Springs). He hasn’t earned anything yet. Depth is necessary because injuries do happen, and guys need to practice against other good players to get better

Reaction Score
“I felt like UConn was the best fit for my game coming into this last year,” he said. “It’s a historic, winning program that has established itself on the highest level. Coach [Dan] Hurley and his staff really sold me on it. I felt like it was a place where I could help an already great team and come in and help them even more.”

Alternate free link:

UConn men’s basketball team lands another guard as Joey Calcaterra transfers in from University of San Diego

Better quote than Castle...

Reaction Score
A solid fill plus maybe the coolest sounding and flowing name on the team.

Reaction Score
Why? If Johnson wants to be a starter here, then he should have to expect to compete for the starting role.
because bigs take more time to develop and johnson is still very raw by all accounts. i dont want to bring in a 3rd string PF/C to take PT from samson when it looks like he might only average ~10 mpg this year as is. i dont want him to bloom into a future pro on another team. just look at a traditional depth chart. i realize we have positional versatility but if we predominantly play a 4 out w/ AJ at the 4 then we could use depth at SF more than PF/C.

Newton - Diarra
Alleyne - Calcaterra
Hawkins - ???
Jackson - Karaban - Johnson
Sanoogo - Clingan - Springs

Reaction Score
because bigs take more time to develop and johnson is still very raw by all accounts. i dont want to bring in a 3rd string PF to take 5 mpg from samson when it looks like he might only average ~10 mpg this year as is. i dont want him to bloom into a future pro on another team. just look at a traditional depth chart. i realize we have positional versatility but if we predominantly play a 4 out w/ AJ at the 4 then we could use depth at SF more than PF/C.

Newton - Diarra
Alleyne - Calcaterra
Hawkins - ???
Jackson - Karaban - Johnson
Sanoogo - Clingan - Springs

If Johnson is good, Jackson isn't starting at the 4

Reaction Score
This guy isn't coming out of the Southland conference. He was a 25+mpg guy the last three years in a top-10 league, and he can shoot and score. He's going to play real minutes. Not 20mpg, but he's going to be a rotation guy, especially if Hurley is going to play 3-4 guards all the time.
He's going to be behind Newton, Hawkins, Alleyne, Diarra, and Jackson for guard minutes. He's not a PG and he's too small/unathletic to play truly on the wing, and all those guys I mentioned can and have played the 2 (although Jackson is more likely to slide up the positional chart than down). Barring injuries, I don't see rotation minutes for him.

Reaction Score
He's going to be behind Newton, Hawkins, Alleyne, Diarra, and Jackson for guard minutes. He's not a PG and he's too small/unathletic to play truly on the wing, and all those guys I mentioned can and have played the 2 (although Jackson is more likely to slide up the positional chart than down). Barring injuries, I don't see rotation minutes for him.

For a team that will have 3-4 of those guys on the court at any given time, going 6-deep at guard would not be at all surprising. In Calcaterra's case, he's one of the best shooters in the group. He'll get minutes.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
i hope the kid plays his way onto the floor, just means he’s outperformed expectations. But some people don’t seem to understand there’s only so many minutes available per game, and each starter should be around 30 minutes for each position, assuming they’re good. He’s got heavy competition for the remaining guard minutes in Diarra/Alleyne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom