Joel Ntambwe (UNLV Transfer) | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Joel Ntambwe (UNLV Transfer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I can report Hurley is back from vacation. My dad was on the same flight back with him from the Charlotte airport last night. Dead period ends Thursday at noon. Let's go!!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I don’t think any coach pulls scholarships except Randy Edsall. You sit the kid down and say, “you’re never seeing the court here.“ The player then decides what he wants to do. 99% of the time he transfers.

Honesty isn’t being a bad guy. It’s Hurley’s job to prepare these kids for the real world too.

Reaction Score
I don’t think any coach pulls scholarships except Randy Edsall. You sit the kid down and say, “you’re never seeing the court here.“ The player then decides what he wants to do. 99% of the time he transfers.

Honesty isn’t being a bad guy. It’s Hurley’s job to prepare these kids for the real world too.

1) It's complete fiction that no coach but Edsall pulls scholarships.
2) In the real world people get fired or laid off all the time. Being told you don't have a scholarship to come back to isn't much different.

Reaction Score

He should’ve pulled scholarships from 75% of Diaco recruits if that were the case

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If Hurley is going to start kicking kids that want to stay off the team, then he should've done it when he took the job. If he told a kid he may not get much playing time, BUT that he could stay in the program if he worked hard in practice and got good grades, then it's kind of douchey to change the terms on that kid a year later.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
That's it kill the football program.
He should’ve pulled scholarships from 75% of Diaco recruits if that were the case
2) In the real world people get fired or laid off all the time. Being told you don't have a scholarship to come back to isn't much different.
You guys have zero sarcasm detection skills.

Reaction Score
If Hurley is going to start kicking kids that want to stay off the team, then he should've done it when he took the job. If he told a kid he may not get much playing time, BUT that he could stay in the program if he worked hard in practice and got good grades, then it's kind of douchey to change the terms on that kid a year later.
Hurley isn't going to be blindsiding a couple of the kids if he tells them there is no PT in the future for them. No one knows what Hurley told them last year, but he was brought here to win games, not to wait 3 years for KO's kids to be gone and then start winning.

Reaction Score
They don't actually kick kids off the team although they probably threaten it. They let the player know that he has no future with the team. JC did it a number of times.

Reaction Score

People in the real world get paid to do their jobs.

You can't pull four year offers. My guess is that doesn't apply to KW. My guess is that it does for Whaley.

Diarra is a completely different question. If he can play, I think he can help. Question is if he can play. If he can't, there are ways for people to keep guys at a school, honor their commitment and get back a used scholarship.

At the D1 school I was at, we had two separate instances of this. Girl w/ severe eating disorder had kidney failure who was a Cross Country runner. Couldn't run anymore, but her education was honored. Same for a baseball player who got cancer. He was ostensibly done playing ball, but his education was honored.

I imagine that'd be the case for Diarra *if he couldn't play* (I think he probably will).

Reaction Score
People in the real world get paid to do their jobs.

You can't pull four year offers. My guess is that doesn't apply to KW. My guess is that it does for Whaley.

Diarra is a completely different question. If he can play, I think he can help. Question is if he can play. If he can't, there are ways for people to keep guys at a school, honor their commitment and get back a used scholarship.

At the D1 school I was at, we had two separate instances of this. Girl w/ severe eating disorder had kidney failure who was a Cross Country runner. Couldn't run anymore, but her education was honored. Same for a baseball player who got cancer. He was ostensibly done playing ball, but his education was honored.

I imagine that'd be the case for Diarra *if he couldn't play* (I think he probably will).
As of 2014 UConn wasn't giving out multi-year scholarships.

Multi-year schollies by school

If a player is injured/ill and can't play, I believe the school should honor the commitment and pay for the scholarship for 4 years because that player is likely going to be unable to transfer and remain on scholarship.
If it's a talent issue, I'd prefer the coach make it clear he/she isn't in the plans and let the player decide, but I won't come down on coaches who decide not to renew the scholarship. These guys have to win or they are going to be fired.

ASSUMING there are no character/grade issues, I would expect the coach to make an honest effort in helping to find the player a new school to play.

Reaction Score
As of 2014 UConn wasn't giving out multi-year scholarships.

Multi-year schollies by school

If a player is injured/ill and can't play, I believe the school should honor the commitment and pay for the scholarship for 4 years because that player is likely going to be unable to transfer and remain on scholarship.
If it's a talent issue, I'd prefer the coach make it clear he/she isn't in the plans and let the player decide, but I won't come down on coaches who decide not to renew the scholarship. These guys have to win or they are going to be fired.

ASSUMING there are no character/grade issues, I would expect the coach to make an honest effort in helping to find the player a new school to play.

The NCAA didn’t allow multi year scholarships until 2012. I’d be interested in seeing the numbers today.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Dead period ends Thursday I fully expect to hear something on him shortly thereafter. This dead period did give a good chance for the new coach to rerecruit him though.

C

Chief00

Where is the $10million dollar donor that DB line up to pay the buyout. This info was from you at the same time as the conversation
I answered that above. Given the circumstances, the buyout money was lined up. KO wanted buyout money not consistent with the contract, since there is clearly cause. It was UConn's position that the contractually obligated buyout was zero but they would pay KO $2.5m. I don’t know how I can be any clearer.

Reaction Score
It strikes me that a defining characteristic of Hurley's stamp on this program is one of respect. Respect for yourself, respect and support for your teammates, respect for the coaches and staff, and respect for the jersey, for the program. Brotherhood, family, fraternity, these all demand respect. It flows through a healthy team like a river.

This is what Hurley owes, and gives his players and staff. Respect begets respect. To say he owes them nothing, nothing!, shows a lack of recognition for one of the basic tenets of Hurley's leadership of the program. You are his player, he has your back. Conduct yourself in the manner that he expects, in the interests of the betterment of the program, your teammates and yourself. This is what his program looks like. These players we refer to have been doing this for two years now, one year with his coaching, and these players deserve, and have earned his respect.

High character players are going to want to play here. Their parents are going to feel good about them coming here, and one reason for this is that Hurley's program will help them grow as players, and as men in a program which fosters respect, and holding one's self to a higher standard.

Hurley leads by example.
Not sure what this means or how it translates to the discussion. If it makes you feel better for saying it, great.

This is UConn. You come here to play ball at the highest level. You come here to compete. Compete against your team mates for playing time and then against other elite teams to win NC's.

Respect, character, brotherhood are nothing if you don't also tell the truth. Keeping a player on the team who isn't able to keep up or help the team does what exactly?

I have zero doubt Hurley is able to communicate with his players, build respect, and develop high character. I also have full confidence that he can communicate to players where they stand, where he sees them, and what there role is. After that, if a player feels like they want a different opportunity I'm sure Hurley is willing to help there as well.

There are no participation ribbons for scholarship players.

Reaction Score
Big oof

I can’t blame the guy in exploring all options. There are a ton of transfers this year. Kid needs to understand however b-ball takes the back seat in Nebraska. Not like here.

Reaction Score
Big oof
This is what I've been alluding to about the staff screwing up by allowing 2 cheerleaders to take up two schollies for the next two years. They desperately need to figure this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom