Joel Ntambwe (UNLV Transfer) | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Joel Ntambwe (UNLV Transfer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The only time things are clear in this forum are when the team wins a NC. Check that. If you go back in history in this forum you will find a few posters who will criticize something about those seasons or about how something was handled during the tournament run.

Situations, just like recruiting are fluid. If this kid commits, we fill the other needs, and the team makes the NCAAs most people will be happy. If he commits and things go badly people who are currently excited about his commitment (I'll be one of them) will question Hurley's decision ( I won't be one of them). And forget they argued their original concurrence. For the record I was excited about Sid. Still am. Was excited about Kahlid. Still am. Was excited about Hazelton and we know how that turned out.
Yeah, we all get excited because we are starving to be good again and any new additions give us the hope we all crave to get there. Like you alluded to, it's all an educated crapshoot even for these top level coaches. I'm sure when Jay Wright landed Quinnerly or when Coach K landed Bolden or when Cal landed Richards they all thought things would go a different way. Fans get excited and want certainty in an uncertain business. Expectations can be unrealistic.There are only so many sure things every year and those guys go to the blue bloods usually. I have faith in Hurley that he will give us everything he's got. That's all any of us can hope for.

C

Chief00

The problem with Chief is he has very few friends and lots of enemies. It’s a symptom of a large number of posts containing little information. Unfortunately for Chief this was a situation that was created solely by him. Very simple solutions to the problem:
1) Post less
2) Put content in your posts that people care about.

Unfortunately we all know how Chief is and rather than listening to Hurleyman’s advice, Chief will spend time throwing shade.

How you claim to know my personal life is quite interesting and I would hazard a guess we probably travel in different circles.

Last edited by a moderator:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yeah, we all get excited because we are starving to be good again and any new additions give us the hope we all crave to get there. Like you alluded to, it's all an educated crapshoot even for these top level coaches. I'm sure when Jay Wright landed Quinnerly or when Coach K landed Bolden or when Cal landed Richards they all thought things would go a different way. Fans get excited and want certainty in an uncertain business. Expectations can be unrealistic.There are only so many sure things every year and those guys go to the blue bloods usually. I have faith in Hurley that he will give us everything he's got. That's all any of us can hope for.
Glad you got this in before you saw tcf’s exorcism.

Reaction Score
That's fair. I haven't watched him. Stats wise he put up nice ppg 12.5 and rpg 5.5, with a 75% FT and 38% on 3's. His shooting was meh, under 41% and he was turnover prone and didn't block shots.

Aside from boards, FT% and attempts and TO, his stats are similar to Polley's. He just took twice as many 2P shots (on a much lower shooting percentage). 3P shooting was nearly identical. Joel Ntambwe College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

So, do we want a high volume inefficient scorer? Joel shot 42% on 2 PT attempts. Josh shot 60%. With over 3X the blocks and more rebounds. Even Polley was just under 50% on 2 pt attempts. My point is, there is no way he takes that many shots last year if he's playing for UConn. Hurley would bury a guy who shot that percentage at high volume. His numbers aren't far off from freshman Christian Vital.

He's not an inefficient scorer.
1) Those 2 point attempts also come with his very good FT rate where he shot 75% (which should improve). He drew 5 fouls per 40 minutes and his FT rate would be 2nd on the team after Carlton.
2) Hit 2pt% will very likely increase as he ages, improves his skill, and gets stronger (Check out Vital's progression there).
3) The 39% from 3 counts. A lot.
4) He had a super low turnover rate despite a lot of paint activity.
5) A high volume player generally gets easier shots for teammates (even if the player doesn't pass much himself).

Reaction Score
I'm in the same boat.

Your building block pieces are Akok, Bouknight, Gaffney, Wilson, Gilbert. You can do way worse than Carlton and I think he helps way more than he hurts before he's done here- although I don't think he's a world beater.

Everyone else is bench bit players from here on out. If not, something's wrong.

Not sure Sid belongs on this list. I’ve always said he’s a great athlete, but that does not translate to a great (or even very good) basketball player. Sure he gets a few highlight plays, but he shot 35% from two, 23% from three, and 56% from the line. For all his athleticism he had 8 steals all year....Whaley had 3. He was generally lost on D. He has been with the team for a while. It’s is going to be a pretty big improvement for him to be good. Not sure he ever gets there. Hoping he does.

Reaction Score
Nothing but stink eyes in here.

68B5ABBB-BBB8-490F-8CAD-9DE46E16F1EF.gif

Reaction Score
We just need to improve the talent here overall and Ntambwe will do just that. It doesn't matter who is better than who at this point and if we need schollies, Hurley will find a way to get him in the door if the guy wants to come here.

This is not just for games but for practice as well. Each one of these guys should be pushing each other to earn their minutes. If there's not enough talent on the roster then apart from shooting open shots guarded by chairs, how else will they improve?

Reaction Score
Not sure Sid belongs on this list. I’ve always said he’s a great athlete, but that does not translate to a great (or even very good) basketball player. Sure he gets a few highlight plays, but he shot 35% from two, 23% from three, and 56% from the line. For all his athleticism he had 8 steals all year....Whaley had 3. He was generally lost on D. He has been with the team for a while. It’s is going to be a pretty big improvement for him to be good. Not sure he ever gets there. Hoping he does.

Sid is a work in progress but when he took outside shots for 2 or 3 last season I think he looked like he could be deadly if he puts in the time this summer. His shooting form was fine he just needs to make more. Who was going to block those jumpers? I hope he can get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom