Joe Moorhead rumors (and others) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Joe Moorhead rumors (and others)

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
What about him...?

As a possibility for HC. If we really did want him as OC and his health issues are under control, shouldn't he be a top choice considering his ties to both benedict and goetz?

Reaction Score
As a possibility for HC. If we really did want him as OC and his health issues are under control, shouldn't he be a top choice considering his ties to both benedict and goetz?

From what I have read, he doesn't want a HC gig. But you never really know with these guys. It might be him. I think Benedict has already made his selection.

Reaction Score

Except he has said that he's not looking for the responsibility/demands of being HC due to the impacts on his health. People do change their minds but he has been pretty clear in comments post Rotgers hire that he is in the best health he's been in for a long time w/ less stress/more sleep.

Reaction Score
Seeing reports that Moorehead is staying at Penn State.

This doesn't necessarily mean he is not coming to UConn. It could mean he won't jump or announce before PSU gets through its bowl game which is a 2017 commitment (Jan 2).

Reaction Score
Except he has said that he's not looking for the responsibility/demands of being HC due to the impacts on his health. People do change their minds but he has been pretty clear in comments post Rotgers hire that he is in the best health he's been in for a long time w/ less stress/more sleep.

I'd imagine that he's concerned that he would leave another school in a bad spot if he took another turn for the worse.

Reaction Score
Anybody looking for a place with low expectations, a flagship program with great facilities, a great environment to raise a family and a chance to be a living legend with any success would be nuts not take this job. People talk like Moorhead can find something better. I don't think there is any better job available with unlimited possibilities and a chance to achieve greatness.... ok, maybe a bit biased.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I feel that way, but I was surprised at this poll -

One way to look at that is to think of how sad that is; what on earth are people thinking about if they want to re-hire the guy that walked out.

The other way to look at it is that our fan base is so afraid of a third failure in a row that they are willing to forgive "the ex girlfriend" so that we can get back to 7-5.

We need the next hire to at least be the "7-5" type, where we go to a bowl game every year and fans can expect a few more wins than losses when they buy their tickets...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
One way to look at that is to think of how sad that is; what on earth are people thinking about if they want to re-hire the guy that walked out.

The other way to look at it is that our fan base is so afraid of a third failure in a row that they are willing to forgive "the ex girlfriend" so that we can get back to 7-5.

We need the next hire to at least be the "7-5" type, where we go to a bowl game every year and fans can expect a few more wins than losses when they buy their tickets...
When Edsall was our coach, I felt that Randy had taken the program as far as he could and we needed a new guy to get the next level. I had no idea the utter devastation that would happen to the program. Edsall isn't my first choice, but we could do worse, far worse actually. Right now we need stability and competency. Edsall would provide that.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
I was so pissed with the way that he left, and rooted for him to fail in his dream job. However, FHCRE could build a staff and he could develop players. Look at the list of players that went to the NFL and coaches that went on to more prominent roles. If he could just loosen the reins, particularly with his OC, I would welcome him back.

Reaction Score

This is so GD important. I think all of us have realistic goals and expectations for our program. But we absolutely need to have a competent and respectable program for whenever the next realignment talks start rolling. If the program was anywhere above a laughingstock during the past rounds, we are likely in a significantly better situation.

Reaction Score
So who could it be besides Moorhead?

T.J. Weist - Still OC at USF, who put up HUGE numbers this year. Was passed over for the HC job in favor of Charlie Strong
P.J. Fleck - One of the hotter small-school coaching names out there after turning Western Michigan around. Have to think he's waiting for a B1G job tho
Randy Edsall - We all have to admit that 1) it might be Burton who wrote a check to get rid of Diaco, and 2) that could mean Randy's return
Greg Schiano - Can recruit & win in the northeast, currently AHC for Ohio State
Al Golden - Was good at Temple but a disaster at Miami. Currently TE coach for the Lions

Any other names I'm forgetting?
PJ Fleck has a better job than ours right now.

Reaction Score
Rhett Lashlee - OC at Auburn who's considered an up-and-comer. Just 33-years-old. Obvious Benedict ties.
He would be the answer, offensively. Can he recruit up here? Certainly has ties to Benedict.

Reaction Score
You certainly can't think Edsall is not a realistic option giving the circumstances, his previous success here, and his current employment status.

Another name who was getting a lot of well deserved play before Diaco was hired is former OC Rob Ambrose who at the time couldn't interview because he was preparing his team (Towson University) for the FCS National Championship game, and don't forget he brought his team into the Rent 2 years ago and beat Diaco. Quality guy, great track record, and like Moorehead and Edsall he has a history at UConn.
Ambrose has UCONN ties. Haven't seen his name mentioned for the opening until now.

Reaction Score
These Pat Forde characters are voracious pieces of crap. Mostly, they just want to prove they are big shots. Insiders. Hanging with Pitino or Petrino Calipari.

But ... the art of the deal for David Benedict probably started two weeks ago. Moorhead or the target already knows what the deal is. There is no wa Benedict got to today without massive prep for the change and the money. This is not going to be a search ... its a rifle shot not a shotgun.
Agreed.

Reaction Score
Here's an interesting tidbit most probably don't know.

Rhett Lashlee - OC at Auburn who's considered an up-and-comer. For those who don't know the HC at Auburn is Gus Malzahn

Rhett Lashlee attended Shiloh Christian School in Springdale, Arkansas,[1] where he played quarterback under head coach Gus Malzahn.

On one hand, he's learned from a great coach. On the other hand, he has been under Gus's thumb his entire career. We can't be his "first time away from mom and dads" stepping stone. We need someone with experience as a HC. Get KC Keeler on the phone and sign him if Moorehead a no-go

Reaction Score
The Auburn offense hasn't been very dynamic lately, not a style UConn can excel at

But if he can recruit better talent and have some creative schemes why not

On one hand, he's learned from a great coach. On the other hand, he has been under Gus's thumb his entire career. We can't be his "first time away from mom and dads" stepping stone. We need someone with experience as a HC. Get KC Keeler on the phone and sign him if Moorehead a no-go

Reaction Score
John Altavilla@jaltavilla 3 mins ago
@YahooForde this is john altavilla of hartford courant, working on uconn fb takeout for sunday. wondering if I could call you for comment

Reaction Score
another great pick would be Chris Klieman from North Dakota State - he produces a high powered offense and teams with 1A caliber with 1AA recruits in the hinterlands.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Auburn was built around buying Cam Newton. We can't buy a Cam Newton.

Like I said in one of the other dozen threads, unless this OC is the true brains behind the Auburn program, no thanks. It would smell too much a matter of convenience. A very Jeff Hathaway move. I would like to think DB is better than that.

Now, if he wants to bring him up as OC without his mentor and potentially earn this HC should things pan out well, then that is a discussion, but the HC picks the coordinators.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
another great pick would be Chris Klieman from North Dakota State - he produces a high powered offense and teams with 1A caliber with 1AA recruits in the hinterlands.

Hinterlands with no academic standards and no D1 competition except maybe Boise. It's the one caveat with all these FCS guys. Why I'd prefer the JMU guy first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom