2022 Recruiting: - JJ Starling | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: JJ Starling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
pure point or combo guard? would be surprised if we added another elite PG in the class after diggins when he's expected to be a 3-4 year player.

edit- nvm i'm seeing him described as a combo

Scoring guard. His passing is terrible.

Reaction Score
Not to be a party pooper, but I don’t think we lead for any guard we’re after currently.
Yeah I don’t get the idea we’re leading for any of these guys either, but at this time last year we didn’t feel good about Diggins or Hawkins either. Hopefully the staff can reel one of these guys in.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
can't pass, no d, doesn't board, steal, or block, but has a nice shot against dorky high school kids. and where are his dunk clips? shortish, too. pass, hard pass. and if this guy is so special, why does his 'new recruit' you tube vids have like no views, hmmm?
and why is almost every recruit video here get almost universal 'ooohs and aahhhs' followed by 'must have, greatest ever?' u know who is/will be top notch and a force on the floor? mr flip.
now, back to fatts rocket, the greatest baller in the history of time. or not.
ya know what's impressive? diggins brain, hawkins nose for the bucket, and samson's, well samsonness. i compare the potential recruits to what our new guys bring, and mostly im not impressed. the last guy that i wanted, cj frederick, is now on kentucky.
CJ Frederick's only skill is shooting the ball.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
'CJ Frederick's only skill is shooting the ball at an almost 50% rate from 3, is a lockdown perimeter defender, and led his team to a kentucky state championship in high school.'
there, ftfy.
winning isn't everything, it's the only thing. imma big fan of recruits coming from hs state championship teams, as it shows something other than just stylin and jackin.
Watch more starling tape. He’s grown quite a bit I’d say he’s a legit 6’4 now. Has elite basketball swagger just takes plays off on defense. A lot like Bouk. Remember he was billed as a shooter.

Reaction Score
can't pass, no d, doesn't board, steal, or block, but has a nice shot against dorky high school kids. and where are his dunk clips? shortish, too. pass, hard pass. and if this guy is so special, why does his 'new recruit' you tube vids have like no views, hmmm?
and why is almost every recruit video here get almost universal 'ooohs and aahhhs' followed by 'must have, greatest ever?' u know who is/will be top notch and a force on the floor? mr flip.
ya know what's impressive? diggins brain, hawkins nose for the bucket, and samson's, well samsonness. i compare the potential recruits to what our new guys bring, and mostly im not impressed. the last guy that i wanted, cj frederick, is now on kentucky.

Even though the statement was only made by Spiffy, today's sign that the apocalypse is upon us is the thought that we should judge a recruit by how many views his youtube videos have. ROTFLMAO.

Reaction Score
Perhaps because being overly critical of a recruit that could be checking out our message boards is not a good look? Just spitballing. An honest assessment or breakdown is one thing. Your "review" above could be seen by someone as bordering on disrespect. The consensus is we put together a great staff. Perhaps we can trust their judgement on a top 50 recruit? Especially one that can shoot considering that's our greatest weakness. They have more info and know more than us. They are not infallable, but most if not all on this board have a novice eye compared to our staff.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
here is James in hs. note the windmill blast in the beginning, and the flying rejection later on.

sheesh? indeed. ain't nobody calling that other guy vince carter.

I see Vince Carter with a ? Notice ?
Time will tell with "Sir James"

Yes Bouk was physically more blessed than JJ at that point in their respective HS careers
I can't comment on level of maturity/responsibility/heart but can't help to think that Starling has to be ahead there. Plus he hits the 3 rather nicely, a little unorthodox in release, but they splash
I agree with your assessment of the 3 coming in - Hawkins is going to be unreal, Samson is a beast and diggins looks to have everything you want in a PG

Reaction Score
I'm in the opposite camp, not worried about our frontcourt at all but we really need to add a guard who can score/shoot in 2022
Amen. Crowded front courts don't mean as much to championships as great backcourts........although a KF, AK or Dc or two would be nice.

Reaction Score
Perhaps because being overly critical of a recruit that could be checking out our message boards is not a good look? Just spitballing. An honest assessment or breakdown is one thing. Your "review" above could be seen by someone as bordering on disrespect. The consensus is we put together a great staff. Perhaps we can trust their judgement on a top 50 recruit? Especially one that can shoot considering that's our greatest weakness. They have more info and know more than us. They are not infallable, but most if not all on this board have a novice eye compared to our staff.
Any recruits "checking out our message board" are not showing good judgement, so we should be looking elsewhere.......... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Any recruits "checking out our message board" are not showing good judgement, so we should be looking elsewhere.......... :rolleyes:
It's 2021. Kids live on their phone and social media. If you don't think players or recruits check out or at least hear about what is said on here on occasion then you are very naive. Didn't a certain big local recruit's father have comments about what was said on here in the past year or so?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Even though the statement was only made by Spiffy, today's sign that the apocalypse is upon us is the thought that we should judge a recruit by how many views his youtube videos have. ROTFLMAO.
9F14682F-2D97-44E7-9986-1B303CCC639D.jpeg

“Hey! In my defense,
Kwintin had a ton of views”

UconnU

Reaction Score
Same time as Justice Williams' official. I don't ever remember a single month in our history with this many visits (particularly with such high caliber talent). So impressed with the staff.
I wonder who staff wants more Starling or Williams...it’s obviously one or the other.

UconnU

Reaction Score
Now I’m almost positive it’s Starling…. Cause you know, the whole LSU thing
LOL didn’t even reali$e. Starling has more moxy anyway. My only concern is that players may not like playing with him he’s not really looking to pass the ball, ever.

Reaction Score
It's 2021. Kids live on their phone and social media. If you don't think players or recruits check out or at least hear about what is said on here on occasion then you are very naive. Didn't a certain big local recruit's father have comments about what was said on here in the past year or so?
I may be naive but I'm not dense. Don't you understand what the "purple emoji" :rolleyes: signifies.

Last edited:

UconnU

Reaction Score
Not to be a party pooper, but I don’t think we lead for any guard we’re after currently.
We led with Starling. But the Duke offer changes things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01