2022 Recruiting: - JJ Starling | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: JJ Starling

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
Same time as Justice Williams' official. I don't ever remember a single month in our history with this many visits (particularly with such high caliber talent). So impressed with the staff.
I mentioned it in a different thread, but he and Justice are cousins. Wonder if we are the only school they are both considering.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Same time as Justice Williams' official. I don't ever remember a single month in our history with this many visits (particularly with such high caliber talent). So impressed with the staff.
I mentioned it in a different thread, but he and Justice are cousins. Wonder if we are the only school they are both considering.
Oh now I've got expectations, great...

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I don't know if anyone screenshotted it but Andre Jackson was recruiting him on his instagram story the other day. Looks like they're close buddies.
Nope, but thanks for sharing for those of us who mostly ignore Instagram and snap.

Reaction Score
Some full games for those interested. He's #1. I really hope we can real him or Williams in--both are brilliant CGs in completely different ways. And both can SHOOT. Epps and Anglin seem to be the other 2 being recruited for this spot, and both of them are even better shooters. Love our priorities.

1/28/2021 vs Sunrise Christian

1/29/2021 vs Montverde
Montverde vs. La Lumiere | Replay from the 2021 Montverde Academy Invitational Tournament

2/4/2021 vs Wasatch
Wasatch vs. La Lumiere | Replay from the 2021 Montverde Academy Invitational Tournament

Reaction Score
VS Sunrise Christian

26 PTS
2 REB
0 AST ( 0 potential / 0 foul)

5 TO
0 STL
1 BLK

4/4 2FG
6/11 3FG
0/0 FT
  • He’s #1 FYI
  • Smaller than Williams… maybe 6’2. I think williams is a true 6’4 at this point. STarling looks stronger to me though.
  • Guarded #28 in 2022 Grady Dick and #6 in 2021 Kennedy Chandler.
  • Absolute dynamite shooter. Quick, good looking shot at volume. He’s a great scorer… not much else. But that’s pretty damn important.
  • Not a pure PG… really falls into that CG role like I saw with Williams. I’d call starling more pure scorer and less distributor than the others we’re recruiting though. I’m assuming Epps and Anglin fill a similar role in our recruiting too.
  • Cuts really hard off the ball. Love that.
  • Slides laterally pretty well. His defense doesn’t stick out to me (like Hawkins does), but he also doesn’t look like a liability by any means. He’s doing his job. Not in love with his commitment to help, but it could be a coaching thing.
  • Had 13/20 of his team’s points in the first half. Yeesh.
  • Sunrise is REALLY fricken good… #2 team in the country apparently. Their defense was college-level stuff.
  • Not a very good passer at all. Doesn’t find guys in their scoring spots. Doesn't look for it. 0 assists as a ball dominant guard is shocking.
  • His coach loves to have him in a screen the screener action to get open, but it never seems to work lol
  • Not a great rebounder… not a guy who’s going to elevate over anyone. HE just gets them when they fall to him. Developing his read to get the easier boards will be important.
  • Not looking to draw contact or even really score at the rim at all unelss it’s wide open. Just a SHOOTER
  • Everyone loves a lefty.

3 ball
La Lumiere vs. Sunrise Christian | Replay from the 2021 Montverde Academy Invitational Tournament

TO, bad one.
La Lumiere vs. Sunrise Christian | Replay from the 2021 Montverde Academy Invitational Tournament

Tough 2

3 ball

3 ball

Another bad TO… he really isn’t a good passer.

And another bad TO

For 2

And another bad TO

For 2

Yeah he can shoot

And another one

Reaction Score
VS Sunrise Christian

26 PTS
2 REB

5 TO
0 STL
1 BLK

4/4 2FG
6/11 3FG
0/0 FT
  • He’s #1 FYI
  • Smaller than Williams… maybe 6’2. I think williams is a true 6’4 at this point. STarling looks stronger to me though.
  • Absolute dynamite shooter. Quick, good looking shot at volume. He’s a great scorer… not much else. But that’s pretty damn important.
  • Not a pure PG… really falls into that CG role like I saw with Williams. I’d call starling more pure scorer and less distributor than the others we’re recruiting though. I’m assuming Epps and Anglin fill a similar role in our recruiting too.
  • Slides laterally pretty well. His defense doesn’t stick out to me (like Hawkins does), but he also doesn’t look like a liability by any means. He’s doing his job. Not in love with his commitment to help, but it could be a coaching thing.
  • Sunrise is REALLY fricken good… #2 team in the country apparently. Their defense was college-level stuff.
  • Not a very good passer at all. Doesn’t find guys in their scoring spots. Doesn't look for it. 0 assists as a ball dominant guard is shocking.
  • His coach loves to have him in a screen the screener action to get open, but it never seems to work lol
  • Not a great rebounder… not a guy who’s going to elevate over anyone. HE just gets them when they fall to him. Developing his read to get the easier boards will be important.
  • Not looking to draw contact or even really score at the rim at all unelss it’s wide open. Just a SHOOTER

3 ball

TO, bad one.

Tough 2

3 ball

3 ball

And another bad TO

For 2

And another bad TO

For 2

Yeah he can shoot

And another one

Sounds great, I’d never argue against 1-2 inch shorter Cam Thomas

Reaction Score
VS Sunrise Christian

26 PTS
2 REB

5 TO
0 STL
1 BLK

4/4 2FG
6/11 3FG
0/0 FT
  • He’s #1 FYI

3 ball

TO, bad one.

Tough 2

3 ball

3 ball

And another bad TO

For 2

And another bad TO

For 2

Yeah he can shoot

And another one

Lefty?

Reaction Score
He’s ambidextrous

No. He just does things with different hands.

Dunks, dribbles, and passes left. Shoots and layups right. He isn't doing things equally well with both hands... his left hand dominance with the dribble and pass is probably his biggest weakness. He's a pretty awful passer.

Reaction Score
pure point or combo guard? would be surprised if we added another elite PG in the class after diggins when he's expected to be a 3-4 year player.

edit- nvm i'm seeing him described as a combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger