Jimmy Dykes | The Boneyard

Jimmy Dykes

Reaction Score
Was I the only one that was getting annoyed at Jimmy dykes love for VCU? I mean I was constantly yelling at the TV saying “what about Uconn, we’re good too”

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I liked Dykes. 3 games in 3 days and you can tell he likes/admires/talks up the junkyard dog type players and teams. VCU was playing hard and scrapping for every loose ball and rebound and truthfully played closer to their max potential than did UConn. Announcer was just pointing out how he enjoyed it.

I don't think he had a disparaging word to say about UConn in 3 games.

Reaction Score
Was I the only one that was getting annoyed at Jimmy dykes love for VCU? I mean I was constantly yelling at the TV saying “what about Uconn, we’re good too”
I could live my entire life without every hearing that twit do another game. He absolutely sucks. He's just another in a long line of fools like Vitale that are more about being a character than doing the game. Pretty sure my lifetime quota of references to "gRoWn mEn" is overflowing

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I had no problem with Dykes at all. He was lobbying to the refs to put more time back on the clock for our final possession. I don’t think he was biased towards VCU whatsoever.
He is extremely biased towards playing basketball for effect and everything that is effective. He liked kids diving for loose balls, fighting through screens, going to the basket aggressively and running the court. If you hustled he was going to make mention of it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He is not stingy with praise for players on either team. I have no problem with him and think he’s better than most. Must remember that the model for color commentators is not to just do the game and actually add color, enthusiasm. Loved Al MGuire.

Reaction Score
He is extremely towards playing basketball for effect and everything that is effective. He liked kids diving for loose balls, fighting through screens, going to the basket aggressively and running the court. If you hustled he was going to make mention of it.
And he had no tolerance for “flop warnings”. He said after four years, why are they still issuing just warnings?

Reaction Score
Was he the one that marveled at Sanogo passing the ball back out from the interior? The in-game comment 'Sanogo makes a rare pass' was gold.

Announcers were fine, no muting necessary.

I kinda feel many posters want one of us to call our games. We would be more nauseating than Vitale calling a dook game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I thought they said some really funny things (the flop warning) without losing the focus on the game. I like the way they talked up the positives for both teams players. They had a lot of praise for all the Uconn players and still pointed out some of the shortcomings. They knew the technical aspects of the game in terms of what either side was trying to do and how to combat it.

Reaction Score
I generally think all broadcast teams suck. The format is tired. I don't have a really great alternative idea. Just know I'm sorta sick of the standard broadcast duo thing.... except when Dickie Simpkins is involved. Then I love it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Dykes is fine with the exception that he doesn't vamp well so he will say colossally stupid things to fill dead air. He also talks a lot about platitudes (hustle, heart, etc.) rather than provide real analysis. There are better analysts, and there are worse ones.

Reaction Score
I usually hate most “newish” announcers, but I thought he was actually pretty good

Reaction Score
He did okay. Kind of campy with him next to Max the Seal but it was amusing. If we ever play a game at Mohegan Sun and he broadcasts it, will he visit a seal at Mystic Aquarium and pose with the seal? But..

I googled this about seals biting:

Seals are wild animals that can be aggressive and bite, causing major wounds and possible infection to humans

Reaction Score
Honestly thought he and Ravech were a great listen. Agree with the poster above who said they called it as they saw it. The comments about fade away jumpers that didn’t work in the first half continue to not work in the second was spot on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom