Jim Mora | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
One has to wonder if Zion was the starter this year would things be different?
Were/are the players more comfortable with him after playing last season with him at QB?
I am not in favor of any of these QBs at all - just waiting for the Texas Slinger to join next season- hoping he doesn't change his mind...................

Reaction Score
Mora is trying to undo a decade of bad decisions.

It took Hurley a while to get the basketball program turned around and he inherited a couple of bad years. Hell, last year at this time there were people on the Boneyard who wanted Hurley's head on a pike.

These rough patches were predictable. But as the saying goes, you are rarely as bad as it seems when you are losing and you are rarely as good as you think when you win. UConn can not and will not attain a successful level until it has, at the very least, competent QB play. We have what we have this year. Two straight years our QB has gone out in the first few quarters. And neither of them was at the level that could fix the program.

So slow your walk.
Hurley was different… the uconn basketball team was still losing at the beginning… but they were fighting… they were fun to watch even in the the beginning of the Hurley era…and the posters that wanted Hurleys head were idiots

Reaction Score
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but should Edsall have gotten more credit for last year? I know they basically had to fire him after the Holy Cross game, but if we're going to laud Mora for squeezing a competitive team out of a minimally talented roster last season, it's kind of hard to turn around this year and pin it all on the players.

I mean, the guy was a very uninspiring coach, but he did have a penchant for spotting premium talent in unlikely places. If I were Mora, I'd be careful boasting about not letting the program fall back to "where it was" until I was sure I'd actually taken it somewhere. His two most recent predecessors also experienced some modest success early in their tenures and flamed out shortly thereafter. Last year was a big improvement, but it'll be forgotten about faster than he thinks if he goes 2-10 the next two years.

(This post is not an endorsement of Edsall, nor is it a critique of Mora. I think he's brought some much needed credibility to the program and figures to recruit, as pretty much anyone would, at a higher level. But if this program is ever really gonna have a pulse again, I think he's more likely the bridge to the guy than the guy. He's basically the coach we hoped Pasqualoni would be - steady, competent, and well-respected enough to at least buy the program some time and keep the arrow pointing up. Maybe that means three years from now he wins eight games with his recruits, or maybe it means somebody else comes in and wins eight games with his recruits. Either way, sometimes you have to dig deep for hope in the absence of linear progress.)

Reaction Score
UConn did not lose ALL the good players from last year, but they lost enough to trigger a non-linear reduction in achievement. This may be a generic problem that an independent school in New England simply cannot solve in the age of the portal and NIL.
People keep pointing to QB. I think we have some talent there if you think Penn State has ability to judge talent.
Our coaching and play calling need to be better than an average high school in TX.

It once again comes down to getting right coaches on board. Lashlee was able to get some offense going with less talent.

It can be so done. Mora needs to use his connections, get a new OC and UConn needs to start beefing up coaching staff

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I think Mora fooled himself on the QB situation. He thought it was improved. It wasn't. It's as bad as last year. Maybe worse. Until this is straightened out, it will be a tough road. He knows he screwed up. Now he has to make chicken salad out of chicken s4it. This will be the toughest year of his football life.

Mora unlike the others that preceded him is a true professional. If he squeezes four wins out of this mess, it will be an A+ job.
Nearly all of those 7 or 8 win predictions on the yard included the caveat "with improved QB play"...

Reaction Score
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but should Edsall have gotten more credit for last year? .
This thought has occurred to me. I still think it is unlikely, but I have to admit that it is possible.
If I were Mora, I'd be careful boasting about not letting the program fall back to "where it was" until I was sure I'd actually taken it somewhere. His two most recent predecessors also experienced some modest success early in their tenures and flamed out shortly thereafter.
Yup, point taken, although HCJM isn't really much of a boaster.

Reaction Score
Reading an article in the post today about the SEC. A comment regarding Alabama and Nick Saban jumped out.
“Nick Saban has gone through all three of his quarterbacks already and seems to be back at square one saying the trio will be a valuated all over again ahead of next Saturday’s matchup against Ole Miss after being asked for his current starter. When you have three quarterbacks that you really don’t have one.”
Sound familiar?

Reaction Score
Seems as though Coach Mora has a little more patience than Coach Saban!

Reaction Score
Having three 4 or5-star QBs is a different problem... maybe Dayne Shor knows them and can convince one to transfer to UCONN. haha

Reaction Score
Having three 4 or5-star QBs is a different problem... maybe Dayne Shor knows them and can convince one to transfer to UCONN. haha
Yeah, but Saban having same production problems at a higher level. He says “Next, can you get it done?” I was a fan of ZT, while understanding his limitations. Just would like to see him for a quarter or a half.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
We are in a war to defeat years of football mediocrity caused by multiple bad decisions from MANY people, from ADs to boosters to coaches. It is going to take time, effort, money, belief, and trust to win the war. I believe we are going to beat Duke and trust that the win will turn this around.

Reaction Score
Mora is in a tough spot..these g5 southern schools can get players that can play with anyone…northern schools have a harder time getting those players… plus uconn is a independent which makes it even harder

Reaction Score
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but should Edsall have gotten more credit for last year? I know they basically had to fire him after the Holy Cross game, but if we're going to laud Mora for squeezing a competitive team out of a minimally talented roster last season, it's kind of hard to turn around this year and pin it all on the players.

I mean, the guy was a very uninspiring coach, but he did have a penchant for spotting premium talent in unlikely places. If I were Mora, I'd be careful boasting about not letting the program fall back to "where it was" until I was sure I'd actually taken it somewhere. His two most recent predecessors also experienced some modest success early in their tenures and flamed out shortly thereafter. Last year was a big improvement, but it'll be forgotten about faster than he thinks if he goes 2-10 the next two years.

(This post is not an endorsement of Edsall, nor is it a critique of Mora. I think he's brought some much needed credibility to the program and figures to recruit, as pretty much anyone would, at a higher level. But if this program is ever really gonna have a pulse again, I think he's more likely the bridge to the guy than the guy. He's basically the coach we hoped Pasqualoni would be - steady, competent, and well-respected enough to at least buy the program some time and keep the arrow pointing up. Maybe that means three years from now he wins eight games with his recruits, or maybe it means somebody else comes in and wins eight games with his recruits. Either way, sometimes you have to dig deep for hope in the absence of linear progress.)
Given how bad of a job UConn has done with the football program. Whether it’s hiring the wrong guys or Rent Security being openly hostile to our own fans throughout its existence, Jim Mora is a better coach than this program even deserves.

We also have these idiotic Basketball only fans calling to axe the program again.

You can’t make this school up.

We deserve all of this.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
One has to wonder if Zion was the starter this year would things be different?
Were/are the players more comfortable with him after playing last season with him at QB?
I am not in favor of any of these QBs at all - just waiting for the Texas Slinger to join next season- hoping he doesn't change his mind...................
After 4 quarters from Fagnano the Boneyard basically decided that him being QB1 was a conspiracy. Roberson HAD to be better. But, guess what - he’s not.

If the staff has them Fagnano, Roberson, Turner, you have to trust that they know what they’re doing and that they believe Roberson gives us a better chance to win than Turner.

Reaction Score
After 4 quarters from Fagnano the Boneyard basically decided that him being QB1 was a conspiracy. Roberson HAD to be better. But, guess what - he’s not.

If the staff has them Fagnano, Roberson, Turner, you have to trust that they know what they’re doing and that they believe Roberson gives us a better chance to win than Turner.
I'm sure they are going with whoever gives them the best shot to win. Looks like Roberson isn't the same runner that he was pre- injury. What surprised me Saturday is that we didn't seem to show up in the first half right from the start. FIU obviously scripted their first series and it worked to perfection. The second half was encouraging, just made you wonder why the first half was so bad.

As far as recruiting goes, it's becoming more difficult ti recruit from Florida, Texas, Georgia, etc. now that a bunch of southern schools have gone the FBS route, many in the last 10 years.

Reaction Score

I think he actually was better. But still not close to being acceptable.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
I'm sure they are going with whoever gives them the best shot to win. Looks like Roberson isn't the same runner that he was pre- injury. What surprised me Saturday is that we didn't seem to show up in the first half right from the start. FIU obviously scripted their first series and it worked to perfection. The second half was encouraging, just made you wonder why the first half was so bad.

As far as recruiting goes, it's becoming more difficult ti recruit from Florida, Texas, Georgia, etc. now that a bunch of southern schools have gone the FBS route, many in the last 10 years.
I never thought about that before but I think that's a good point. App. St, JMU, and I know I'm missing several other have all jumped from FCS ranks in recent years. Makes it easier for kids to stay closer to home and play at around the same level i guess

Reaction Score
I believe Ta"Quan will come around, and sooner than later. His accuracy was off in his first two halves of play, but it improved in the second half of the FIU game. I am taking a different position, and see the offense becoming a force by season's end.

My greater concern is the defense. First, tackling in general.

Second, how the secondary was handling receivers in the bump & run -- & then how badly they were beaten on deep patterns.

Going into Duke, the defense has a lot of stuff to work on .

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Well, yeah, cuz that guy on the bench didn’t lose the most recent game. I remember the offseason chatter that there would be a healthy competitive QB room, or something like that. This year the team isn’t physically hurting (except Fagnano), but the production is certainly suffering like they’re hurt.

Reaction Score
Yup, point taken, although HCJM isn't really much of a boaster.
Agreed - he doesn't strike me as one, either. And in fairness, he did preface his remarks by saying he didn't mean offense towards anyone. I think he was simply re-assuring the fans that rock bottom was behind them.

Given how bad of a job UConn has done with the football program. Whether it’s hiring the wrong guys or Rent Security being openly hostile to our own fans throughout its existence, Jim Mora is a better coach than this program even deserves.

We also have these idiotic Basketball only fans calling to axe the program again.

You can’t make this school up.

We deserve all of this.
I'm not a basketball fan at all these days, much less a basketball only fan. If it were up to me, I'd have kept the program in the AAC, basketball be damned.

Not once did I suggest that UConn could or should do better than Mora, so I'm not sure where you're getting that from. My point is that last year could have easily fooled people into thinking he was a great coach, when his track record indicates that he's probably closer to average. And that's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom