Jim Mora | The Boneyard

Jim Mora

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Mora means well. He’s a historically average coach. I thought he was the wrong guy when we hired him. He fooled me last year but we closed out terriblyand that shouled have been a clue. This year is a continued reversion to the mean. We suck. Mora’s talent sucks. His staff largely sucks. Need to execute a Coach Prime strategy and clean out the locker room near top to bottom.

Reaction Score
Mora means well. He’s a historically average coach. I thought he was the wrong guy when we hired him. He fooled me last year but we closed out terriblyand that shouled have been a clue. This year is a continued reversion to the mean. We suck. Mora’s talent sucks. His staff largely sucks. Need to execute a Coach Prime strategy and clean out the locker room near top to bottom.
This is moronic. Do you really think Mora decided not to bring in better players? Coach Prime has a unique situation coming from a program with a few good players, a son who is very good, a conference and one of the biggest names in sports. It was easy for him to clean house and get a solid core to follow him to CO.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t say it was easy but he apparently did succeed. He brought in a good FBS head coach to be OC. I am envious of their success.

Reaction Score
This is moronic. Do you really think Mora decided not to bring in better players? Coach Prime has a unique situation coming from a program with a few good players, a son who is very good, a conference and one of the biggest names in sports. It was easy for him to clean house and get a solid core to follow him to CO.
Thank you, we aren't in the same position as Colorado. We have different challenges! Mora has said, we get kids in, they like everything and then a P5 or P4 comes into play. I have no doubt Coach Mora will continue to upgrade the roster and staff, it just is going take some time. I don't like it but I will support the program and Coach Mora for as long as it takes! He knows what is needed and I believe his experience will help him build it! Beat Duke!!

Reaction Score
We’re delusional if we think we’re going to do better than Coach Mora. PP, Diaco and RE 2.0 are Exhibits A, B and C as to why we are very lucky to have Jim Mora.
Some of you should look back to where we were a year ago at this point in the season! We had a win over Central Connecticut and we were 1-4 with 3 severe beatings! I wouldn’t throw in the towel yet.

Reaction Score
Buy some Colorado gear!!

Reaction Score
Some of you should look back to where we were a year ago at this point in the season! We had a win over Central Connecticut and we were 1-4 with 3 severe beatings! I wouldn’t throw in the towel yet.

I’m not going to give up on Mora or this team, but if you want to get really scared, look at how the teams on the rest of our schedule have performed over their 1st 3-4 games vs their competition…I just did that over coffee this morning and unless we find a way to at least partially correct our major flaws, it’s going to be REALLY tough to get to 3 wins. 1-2 wins is looking more and more likely. Which is a depressing disaster…

Reaction Score
I think Mora fooled himself on the QB situation. He thought it was improved. It wasn't. It's as bad as last year. Maybe worse. Until this is straightened out, it will be a tough road. He knows he screwed up. Now he has to make chicken salad out of chicken s4it. This will be the toughest year of his football life.

Mora unlike the others that preceded him is a true professional. If he squeezes four wins out of this mess, it will be an A+ job.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
QB is a problem. Our overall athleticism is a problem. Depth is a problem.

I cannot begin to tell you how deflating the past two weeks have been for me as those were two opponents I thought we would be able to outperform, especially after a solid effort against NC St, who was allegedly going to be our second toughest opponent this season.

I'm not sure how quickly this can be turned around but there are issues across the board that need to be addressed. On FIU's first possession our defense looked like the JV squad scrimmaging against the varsity starters. FIU's first second down play was on our two, after driving the length of the field 15-20 yards at a clip. Their second was due to a DB losing his man on a crossing pattern because the QB took off to his right to avoid the pass rush and their third was a DB getting beaten deep in a situation (very late in the half) where the primary rule is to not let your guy get behind you.

I don't know what happened after the NC St game but the way the Ga ST and FIU games went we played like we weren't ready to play until after halftime. With this it needs to be taken into consideration that the opponent's second half approach with a big lead could have played a huge role in our improved second half results. This is on the coaching staff, it's on the players and it's on everyone else involved with the program. The Duke game could get ugly, but if it ends up being a situation similar to the NC St game (before the season began, NC St was viewed as the better of the two teams), then we need to face that among our issues is that we foolishly overlooked a couple of our opponents, which is something we aren't close to being in position to do.

Reaction Score
QB is a problem. Our overall athleticism is a problem. Depth is a problem.

I cannot begin to tell you how deflating the past two weeks have been for me as those were two opponents I thought we would be able to outperform, especially after a solid effort against NC St, who was allegedly going to be our second toughest opponent this season.

I'm not sure how quickly this can be turned around but there are issues across the board that need to be addressed. On FIU's first possession our defense looked like the JV squad scrimmaging against the varsity starters. FIU's first second down play was on our two, after driving the length of the field 15-20 yards at a clip. Their second was due to a DB losing his man on a crossing pattern because the QB took off to his right to avoid the pass rush and their third was a DB getting beaten deep in a situation (very late in the half) where the primary rule is to not let your guy get behind you.

I don't know what happened after the NC St game but the way the Ga ST and FIU games went we played like we weren't ready to play until after halftime. With this it needs to be taken into consideration that the opponent's second half approach with a big lead could have played a huge role in our improved second half results. This is on the coaching staff, it's on the players and it's on everyone else involved with the program. The Duke game could get ugly, but if it ends up being a situation similar to the NC St game (before the season began, NC St was viewed as the better of the two teams), then we need to face that among our issues is that we foolishly overlooked a couple of our opponents, which is something we aren't close to being in position to do.
I’m not too thrilled that a top 20 team is our next opponent. I feel like we could really use a win now. But life is what it is and maybe miracles do happen.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I never focused on this in the past, because I thought it was a cop out excuse, but the fact that the players are not playing with energy is UConn’s biggest problem. Players are jogging, not sprinting, and arm tackling, not hitting, and generally look like they are coasting. There is no way UConn can win if these players do not play with maximum effort, because every team is playing with maximum effort at this level. It is table stakes, not a differentiator, and UConn doesn’t have it. FIU just played harder than UConn yesterday.

And that is on the coach.

Reaction Score
Understand the wish for a Coach Prime strategy, but do you think that UConn could possibly pull that off? Without a Coach Prime and a P4 membership? All UConn would get would be a bunch of FCS quality players.

Reaction Score
Mora is trying to undo a decade of bad decisions.

It took Hurley a while to get the basketball program turned around and he inherited a couple of bad years. Hell, last year at this time there were people on the Boneyard who wanted Hurley's head on a pike.

These rough patches were predictable. But as the saying goes, you are rarely as bad as it seems when you are losing and you are rarely as good as you think when you win. UConn can not and will not attain a successful level until it has, at the very least, competent QB play. We have what we have this year. Two straight years our QB has gone out in the first few quarters. And neither of them was at the level that could fix the program.

So slow your walk.

Reaction Score
I’m not going to give up on Mora or this team, but if you want to get really scared, look at how the teams on the rest of our schedule have performed over their 1st 3-4 games vs their competition…I just did that over coffee this morning and unless we find a way to at least partially correct our major flaws, it’s going to be REALLY tough to get to 3 wins. 1-2 wins is looking more and more likely. Which is a depressing disaster…
And that means the team could very well be 0-10 before it picks up 2 wins. This is not a pretty picture. How many wins does it take to say that the team has not descended to where it was?

I love Mora's energy and optimism and let's see if he can make the changes necessary for continuous improvements.

Reaction Score
Buy some Colorado gear!!
Dislike that clown but there something to be said for how he approach it. If you don’t like the hand your dealt, fold and re-deal. He went after HBCU playmakers and turned the program into an offensive machine and decent pass defense oriented squad. In half a year.

Tulane has mastered the transfer portal and is a very explosive club with a ton of talent (in the crappy American).

Transformation is a conscious strategy, not a random walk hoping a few good recruits land in you lap.

Reaction Score
And that means the team could very well be 0-10 before it picks up 2 wins. This is not a pretty picture. How many wins does it take to say that the team has not descended to where it was?

I love Mora's energy and optimism and let's see if he can make the changes necessary for continuous improvements.
This is the message I kept repeating after the debacle against Georgia State: UConn is back to zero and any goodwill from last year is gone completely.

The hope for us fans was that they could build off of last year, but the truth of the matter is last year didn't carry over to this year. All I kept thinking during the game last week against Georgia State was, "this looks like the Huskies when Diaco and Edsall 2.0 were coaching". When the schedule came out I was thinking UConn would be 2-2 after the Duke game, meaning the two losses would be against NC State and Duke.

I don't see this team winning more than 3 games-I just don't. If they do that would be great, but it would be because they had to start from the ground up again this year not building from anything done last year.

Reaction Score
Dislike that clown but there something to be said for how he approach it. If you don’t like the hand your dealt, fold and re-deal. He went after HBCU playmakers and turned the program into an offensive machine and decent pass defense oriented squad. In half a year.

Tulane has mastered the transfer portal and is a very explosive club with a ton of talent (in the crappy American).

Transformation is a conscious strategy, not a random walk hoping a few good recruits land in you lap.
Couldn't agree more. Love or hate Deion, I was telling people don't underestimate him and think he is going to crash and burn.

Reaction Score
Mora is trying to undo a decade of bad decisions.

It took Hurley a while to get the basketball program turned around and he inherited a couple of bad years. Hell, last year at this time there were people on the Boneyard who wanted Hurley's head on a pike.

These rough patches were predictable. But as the saying goes, you are rarely as bad as it seems when you are losing and you are rarely as good as you think when you win. UConn can not and will not attain a successful level until it has, at the very least, competent QB play. We have what we have this year. Two straight years our QB has gone out in the first few quarters. And neither of them was at the level that could fix the program.

So slow your walk.
This is sort of where I am. I remember Shiano’s first stint at Rutgers where he absolutely struggled early. I think his 3rd year or 4th year. They looked to be turning it around. Then they lost to New Hampshire and finished 4-7. It took 5 years but they finally built a program that competed.

Reaction Score
I don’t think it’s really fair to say
This is the message I kept repeating after the debacle against Georgia State: UConn is back to zero and any goodwill from last year is gone completely.

The hope for us fans was that they could build off of last year, but the truth of the matter is last year didn't carry over to this year. All I kept thinking during the game last week against Georgia State was, "this looks like the Huskies when Diaco and Edsall 2.0 were coaching". When the schedule came out I was thinking UConn would be 2-2 after the Duke game, meaning the two losses would be against NC State and Duke.

I don't see this team winning more than 3 games-I just don't. If they do that would be great, but it would be because they had to start from the ground up again this year not building from anything done last year.
I disagree partially and agree partially. Consistency is what builds programs. What I loved about Mora last year was despite our weaknesses and obvious flaws - he found a way to win. He needed to continue building upon that this year and so far he really hasn’t. What I’m really dissapointed most of all in though is the team’s effort. You would’ve figured after last year they’d be hungry and ready to go give it 110% to keep the momentum. Now it looks like they’re all playing with a gun to their heads. Nobody seems to care. It’s devastating to watch.

I do agree with you that 3 wins is most probable at this point though.

Reaction Score
UConn did not lose ALL the good players from last year, but they lost enough to trigger a non-linear reduction in achievement. This may be a generic problem that an independent school in New England simply cannot solve in the age of the portal and NIL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom