Jim Mora FIU Postgame Presser | The Boneyard

Jim Mora FIU Postgame Presser

Reaction Score
Mora laying it on offense.

Not just today but as a trend. 6 TD's and 3 FG in 3 games.

As Mora said, 17 points per game doesn't cut it in college football.

He has been saying this since the weekend after NC State.

He looks around and sees teams scoring 46 points a game and he is frustrated.

I am telling you, Charlton’s career is on life support.

Reaction Score
The key to every team's success is running plays tailored to the players and talent on its roster. Play to strengths and execute. This staff doesn't do that. A five game losing streak going back to last season will be six next week. That's not the trajectory of a program on the upswing. Either it's coaching, lack of talent or both.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He has been saying this since the weekend after NC State.

He looks around and sees teams scoring 46 points a game and he is frustrated.

I am telling you, Charlton’s career is on life support.

He naming names and calling out specific plays.

When he says he's not blaming anyone and buck stops with him as HC he is absolutely putting OC on the chopping block.

Reaction Score
The key to every team's success is running plays tailored to the players and talent on its roster. Play to strengths and execute. This staff doesn't do that. A five game losing streak going back to last season will be six next week. That's not the trajectory of a program on the upswing. Either it's coaching, lack of talent or both.
There is serviceable talent. We don’t use it. Charlton is a total clown show. Doesn’t read the game well, never uses TEs, never understands routes and distance, never uses the middle of field, constantly tries to beat the edge with a slower team, deleverages the OL, never stretches feild , never uses play action under center, uses gadgets when unnecessary. Good god dos he suck.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Let's bring in that Calzone guy as an analyst again. That made a huge difference last time.

Reaction Score
There is serviceable talent. We don’t use it. Charlton is a total clown show. Doesn’t read the game well, never uses TEs, never understands routes and distance, never uses the middle of field, constantly tries to beat the edge with a slower team, deleverages the OL, never stretches feild , never uses play action under center, uses gadgets when unnecessary. Good god dos he suck.
There's a reason we always look good on the first drive or two and then fall apart. He goes into games with his scripted plays and then he doesn't make any adjustments when the defense adapts. His system is fine. It's his adjustments and playcalling that suck.

Reaction Score
Blaming the offense? How about taking responsibility for the moves you made to oversee the offense? How about taking over the play calling?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Comes right out of the gates and slams the offense and says they are the reason they punted on 4th and 3. Can't make it any clearer that Charlton is not cutting it. The question now is, is there someone on the staff capable of replacing him?

I am also completely fine with him calling out the depths that our program has fallen to and saying he will not let that happen. He didn't even need to start with "No offense to those who came before me". They sucked, bottom line and Mora needs to show he's not the same.

Time to back up your words Jim.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't know how to feel about that. It's tough to feel good about this team right now, but I appreciate, at least, that level of honesty and accountability. As Chin noted Mora isn't running away from the fact that this is a profoundly bad football team. He's not running away from the fact that the offense is inept and he is very clearly calling Charlton out for it.

Those are all positives, in a way, because you have to acknowledge your mistakes before you have a chance to fix them. It was an uncomfortable press conference to watch, but that reflects a game in which we played very poorly. I don't know that there are readily apparent fixes for that.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The question now is, is there someone on the staff capable of replacing him?

I think that is why the wheels are still spinning in the mud.
Mora is a defensive guy and I wouldn't expect or want him calling plays.
But who can he trust? He straight up said he can't trust Charlton to get him 3 yards when they needed it.

Reaction Score
Thought this was a fair (but painful to hear) presser. In Mora we trust (still, for now…)

During the game I was wondering why Rosa didn’t get more plays…Mora said he was having back spasms. I guess this is a better explanation than Charlton being dumb with his play calling.

In-game, I was furious with the punt decision on 4th & 3. But I think it was more anger at knowing it was right because our offense couldn’t be trusted to pick it up. As it turns out, it was the right call and gave us similar field position with 3 more downs (albeit with less time, but still plenty).

I’ll be going to the Duke game with expectations set very low. I’ll consider it a “win” if the D plays well for all 4 quarters and I see at least some plays from the offense that show that they actually scrutinized “everything” this week to come up with things that could work better than the futile plays they’ve been running…

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
There's a reason we always look good on the first drive or two and then fall apart. He goes into games with his scripted plays and then he doesn't make any adjustments when the defense adapts. His system is fine. It's his adjustments and playcalling that suck.
Not sure he’s got enough qualified talent to make adjustments IMO

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Thought this was a fair (but painful to hear) presser. In Mora we trust (still, for now…)

During the game I was wondering why Rosa didn’t get more plays…Mora said he was having back spasms. I guess this is a better explanation than Charlton being dumb with his play calling.

In-game, I was furious with the punt decision on 4th & 3. But I think it was more anger at knowing it was right because our offense couldn’t be trusted to pick it up. As it turns out, it was the right call and gave us similar field position with 3 more downs (albeit with less time, but still plenty).

I’ll be going to the Duke game with expectations set very low. I’ll consider it a “win” if the D plays well for all 4 quarters and I see at least some plays from the offense that show that they actually scrutinized “everything” this week to come up with things that could work better than the futile plays they’ve been running…

Back spasms or not, it was clear Houston was the better back yesterday.
If both backs are fully healthy it becomes more of a go with the hot hand.
Houston showed that burst in to the gap and also showed his shiftiness and acceleration on the screen pass for the TD.
I don't think you can solely game plan him for 20+ touches a game for a whole season. Ar the end of the day his is a small D1 RB and you'd like him available all season.

CL82

Reaction Score
I think that is why the wheels are still spinning in the mud.
Mora is a defensive guy and I wouldn't expect or want him calling plays.
But who can he trust? He straight up said he can't trust Charlton to get him 3 yards when they needed it.
He definitely doesn't have the bandwidth to do it while he's acting as our DC.

Job 1 in the off-season is to bring in a quality OC, but job 1A is to bring in a quality DC so that our head coach can spend his time as a head coach rather than a coordinator.

Reaction Score
Wrong. College football is about throwing the ball. You pass to open up a running game.

CL82

Reaction Score
Can he trust a DC? Or is he a micro manager.
Good question. He seemed to trust Spanos at UCLA, but something blew up at the start of last season. Maybe it was just a Spanos being unwilling to take a step back after being head coach. I don't know.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The guys who need to get the ball aren't getting the ball. It's an open question as to why and Mora's job to figure it out and fix it. Both lines played well (vs FIU, I know).

Houston and Rosa need the ball, and Joly and Ross need the ball. I would pay particular attention to any play this doesn't happen, especially in the passing game. Is the QB missing the throwing window? Is the Defense keying on these guys to the result that they can't get open? Can they just not get open? It just seems like we have no determination to execute in the passing game.

We also don't run the ball enough, especially in 2nd/3rd and 4 or less. We should be able to convert on a majority of those situations.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
At least the fan base can rest easy knowing that Mora isn’t getting poached after the season.

Very disappointing start, but the season isn’t over. I trust that Mora will keep the locker room together & hopefully, they can build some momentum with a big win next week.

If not, at least basketball season is nearly upon us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom