Jim Mora Expected to be Named HC | Page 26 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora Expected to be Named HC

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I mean we could take a look at the rosters, but my sense is if you took the kids who were here when Pasqualoni he left and have them play a game against the kids who are here now, putting competent coaches on each side line, I think they’re Pasqualoni kids win, and win fairly easily.

We are really epically terrible right now. I don’t know how much of that has to do with the quality of the players versus playing virtually all underclassmen in the two deep, but we are really bad.
PP recruited Melifonwu and Byron Jones, no? hard to think there's a 1st and 2nd rounder on this team right now

Reaction Score
I'd say it's a push right now.
The main problem with the roster comparisons is that the current roster is very young and we don't know how it will develop. That said, based on what I have seen so far, I would say PP inherited the best roster followed by Diaco and then Edsall who inherited the worst. In my opinion, the quality of the roster had been declining over time. I do think that the current roster has a number of good young players with potential, but there are holes in the roster specifically QB and experience. Mora is inheriting the worst QB room, especially with Tyler P inured and out for perhaps 9 months.

Reaction Score
smirk ... Byron Jones probably started going to UCONN camps in 8/9th grade. We are gonna give credit for PP because he was sitting in the chair?

To correctly characterize ... PP + HCRE recruiting profile combined makes a better UConn. PP got Boyle, Cochran, Osiecki, etc = kids that come because the CT HS connection is good. But we all know ... our recruiting has to be so much more broad and robust than that. Mora profile in the Northeast and beyond - we should know within a month or 2.

Reaction Score
So what are you basing your assertion that the move from FBS to FCS is a cost saving upon? Because it kind of reads like you’re saying, everyone else is wrong, every other university experience is irrelevant, I just believe this to be true and I don’t care what other facts anyone else puts out there.
The evidence in front of our noses. There is no giant rushing sound of FCS schools going FBS. What, Pudge said 30 over 29 years? One per year? Southern mostly?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The evidence in front of our noses. There is no giant rushing sound of FCS schools going FBS. What, Pudge said 30 over 29 years? One per year? Southern mostly?
Have you read the thread? Read the thread.

Reaction Score
Have you read the thread? Read the thread.
So I have posted a number of rebuttals and somehow you think I have not read the thread? Have I mis-characterized a post? Not sure I see your point.

CL82

Reaction Score
So I have posted a number of rebuttals and somehow you think I have not read the thread? Have I mis-characterized a post? Not sure I see your point.
Actually you haven’t. You’ve ignored the information that other people have posted and you just keep making the same statement over and over again. Do you understand that?

Reaction Score
I mean we could take a look at the rosters, but my sense is if you took the kids who were here when Pasqualoni he left and have them play a game against the kids who are here now, putting competent coaches on each side line, I think they’re Pasqualoni kids win, and win fairly easily.

We are really epically terrible right now. I don’t know how much of that has to do with the quality of the players versus playing virtually all underclassmen in the two deep, but we are really bad.
Defensively I agree. Offensively, I think the receivers are much better, our running backs are much better, the Oline is about the same and I think Tyler Phommachanh and Steven Krajewski are much better than who was left at QB when P left. I think the team at the end of P's run would win handedly just because those defenses were pretty damn good, but I think the offense we have now (as shown by Mazzone's play calling) could give them a run for their money.

Reaction Score
Actually you haven’t. You’ve ignored the information that other people have posted and you just keep making the same statement over and over again. Do you understand that?
Actually, I think it is you that may have missed a post. Until you brought it up again, my last post at 1449 yesterday did not mention FCS schools not going wholesale over to FBS. That post was about the value of FBS FB to UConn if it was going to continue to lose like the past eight years for another five -- which was the premise whole discussion to begin with. And also the point that even now we still do not know definitively whether of not UConn and the State of CT has made a significantly larger financial commitment to the Huskies football program. That information will come when the staff is hired and the salaries become public. There has been a lot of happy talk. But, as the saying goes, money talks, BS walks. We will know soon.

CL82

Reaction Score
But, as the saying goes, money talks, BS walks. We will know soon.
So, are you saying you were going to get to walking? Because you haven’t posted a single substantive thing in this thread.

Reaction Score
It takes a big investment to make the jump from FCS to FBS. There is more money to be made in FBS, but schools need the resources to be able to do it. They can't just snap their fingers and decide to be an FBS school.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

The issue with transfers in any sport is that they all had issues at their last stop. That isn't really a problem for us because of how bad we are.

Transfers come with reduced eligibility and can upset the locker room. This is why the old school types were very selective.

That way of thinking is over now that the portal has made what was a back alley cloak and dagger scene into a national open marketplace. Teams and players no longer have to sneak around testing their fit for each other while keeping their current team in the dark.

Now, anyone not projected to play or looking for better situation just adds their name and the market takes care of the rest. The portal is crucial to programs mid level and below. Yeah maybe your thrid string and being recruited over at UGA but you can compete and likely start for us...

Reaction Score
The issue with transfers in any sport is that they all had issues at their last stop. That isn't really a problem for us because of how bad we are.
Eh I guess it depends on your definition of "issues"

Is not playing because you were recruited over and drank the former coaches kool-aid an "issue?"

CL82

Reaction Score
I would hate it if I had a top 10 program.
I wonder about this. I guess you’d hate it because it reduces your ability to stockpile talent. But then again, it also gives you buffet-like access to proven talent from lesser schools

Reaction Score
It takes a big investment to make the jump from FCS to FBS. There is more money to be made in FBS, but schools need the resources to be able to do it. They can't just snap their fingers and decide to be an FBS school.
Example: Sam Houston State, or even Tarleton State which first moved from D-II to FCS with ongoing FBS aspirations. Both growing due to massive Republic of Texas population growth. The latter, particularly a big-time beneficiary of A&M system resources despite being in the crap hole that is Stephenville.

Reaction Score
I think we are past the FCS or FBS debater ... except for one or two curmudgeons.

Dave Benedict swung for the fences and he WON the perception game and the Presser. You still are not guaranteed a winning team/record/sell-outs than we were one week ago. But I love the pick. The question being tossed around - why would you want a high profile sports program at your State U. I think this is kinda a 30-40 year case study; and UCONN is the Case 1A. We swung for the fences - Calhoun, Auriemma etc plus Football - and we are a prime example of all the good things that can happen. And we are rare for our region.

I don't give a frig whether the ACC didn't like Jim Calhoun and our hoop team/championships. In our rearview mirror? Was Calhoun any more of a opportunistic cheat than ... Dean Smith, Denny Crum, John Wooden? Heck no. Broke rules or skirted the line. Often. Tried for kids from complex background and pushed them to conform - like JC himself. He didn't create a whole department of fraudulent academics to pass kids year to year.

Our Football Program can go back to sell-outs.

We were in a hole because we ante' up for the Big East top rung ...and we didn't get pulled along. We have a chance for a re-set with Mora. Want to know our fate over the next 3 years? Watch very closely the next 6 weeks.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
were in a hole because we ante' up for the Big East top rung ...and we didn't get pulled along. We have a chance for a re-set with Mora. Want to know our fate over the next 3 years? Watch very closely the next 6 weeks.
Hmmm. Good post Pudge. Recruiting, Coaching hires, transfers. what else for the next 6 weeks?

Reaction Score
Dude has seemed super friendly and gentile but this shows he's got some fire in his belly:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom