Jim Mora’s new staff coming together… | Page 24 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora’s new staff coming together…

Reaction Score
what does expanation mean ... is that a aerospace word?

I would characterize the HCRE staff - Lashlee, Richardson, ASmith, Lashlee's OLine guy, Cory, Curome Cox, Dottin-Carter, Wholley, Crocker - as a hodgepodge. A handful of comfort food. And some spice that DB threw into the mix. And the balance of the Crocker (using Diaco guys) with Lashlee speedy play spread ... was simply horrific to watch.

Edsall hurt himself by bringing is sticky culture mindset with components that never fit.

Mora is swimming against the tide to build a coaching staff of youth, energy, connectivity, lower level buzz. Charlton - I am sure is the link amongst many Mora would call in our region. He has impressed. Marinelli? A great plug with unknown upside. I like that Bielema used him on the headphone + strategic thinking. The others seem to carry through on that same vein. In other words, guys Edsall had experience with/comfort ... versus guys you looked for a progression of traits that you might project a cultural fit. With young men. Edsall always loved - I think - to have another 50 year old to lean on. And 2.0 became just HCRE (with his son as surrogate) creating this Frankenstein monster. Mora feels different, in that Charlton, Marinelli, Sidiki come with the notion that they love the autonomy to part of their coaching. And I bet Mora has spread the Approval on proffering offers to a wider group. Like Pehrson

OK ... highly speculative and awaiting more breadcrumbs.
Expanation is a word formed by removing the letter "l" from the word explanation. It means the same as the word explanation. A form commonly used by those with MBA's from west coast universities because those folks don't know how to spell anyway and are primarily interested in getting to ten turns in long cycle industries.

Kinda like removing the "h" from "his sticky culture mindset" or replacing the initial "n" with an "s" in "in sticky culture mindset".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The closing date for the job postings was changed to December 9.
How would you read that:

1. a DC has a bowl game?
2. we thought we had a DC, but they backed out?
3. we cannot find a desired one that will come to UCONN (please be open minded and not foggy glasses)
4???

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Obviously, coaching does matter. But it matters far, far less than talent. It's not the X's and the O's, it's the Jimmies and the Joes.
I generally agree, but when coaching is real bad (see Diaco at Navy, PP's reluctance to remove GDL, Randy's desire to constantly run into the middle, etc.), they can be close to equal. If the coach is average or better you're spot on. We just haven't had average coaches.

Reaction Score
The Last time we hired a FCS DC in Crocker things couldn't have worked out worse - just saying. I'd like someone with DC experience at the FBS level.
I get it, but we can also say the last time we hired a DC with FBS experience we also had bad defense.

Mora deserves to pick a staff he feels comfortable with. With our budget we will have to continually find coaching gems that are under the radar. Last time it didn't work out, but if we are being frank, not too many things worked out during RE's 2nd stint lol.

Reaction Score
You're joking right? This is a playoff game... something we haven't sniffed since when we were FCS (or D1-AA.. take your pick)... You're comparing stuff that happened in a playoff game at the 55:00 mark and beyond versus what we've had the past decade or so... You gotta be kidding me... seriously....
Not beyond, I just watched the one play where the other team's running back walked into the end zone untouched. I thought it was funny that I picked that one play at random. Don't look too far into it, JM is doing a good job, clearly we need an upgrade defensively so my hope is JM gets the best available DC he can find.

Reaction Score
Not beyond, I just watched the one play where the other team's running back walked into the end zone untouched. I thought it was funny that I picked that one play at random. Don't look too far into it, JM is doing a good job, clearly we need an upgrade defensively so my hope is JM gets the best available DC he can find.
Understood brother... you're right... I hope we get this one right... I remember how things were when we first got started in FBS.. That bunch was the hungriest bunch... Our D would bend, but, when it counted, especially in the latter stages of the game, it came up BIG....

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If this is the DC pick it does have more ??? than some of the others and anytime you pluck someone from lower divisions you risk buying something that might look good on paper but really was just a disparity of talent which can happen at those levels. But, you can't not be impressed by Mora's ability to attract highly regarded young coaches who have a good track record at their previous jobs as opposed to retreads.

I'm convinced this is not an accident. Either Mora has had his eyes on these guys for a while or Benedict did and pointed Mora in that direction. It's also pretty clear that the two of them spend a lot of time on the matter during DB's sleepover at Mora's home.

Reaction Score
If this is the DC pick it does have more ??? than some of the others and anytime you pluck someone from lower divisions you risk buying something that might look good on paper but really was just a disparity of talent which can happen at those levels. But, you can't not be impressed by Mora's ability to attract highly regarded young coaches who have a good track record at their previous jobs as opposed to retreads.

I'm convinced this is not an accident. Either Mora has had his eyes on these guys for a while or Benedict did and pointed Mora in that direction. It's also pretty clear that the two of them spend a lot of time on the matter during DB's sleepover at Mora's home.
do you think we didn't have enough money?

Reaction Score
Not to my eye. Rating agencies gave him 4* once he committed to Florida, but we had a slew of LBs and edge rushers much better.

2015-2021? Idk about that. He sticks out as a guy on defense the QB had to actually account for. Another player was Cole Ormsby who had a productive senior season in 2016, but in actuality we've been devoid of any serious edge rushers since Edsall's first stint.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Since Luke C, I don't think we've recruited a WSDE who we even thought might develop into someone who could rush the passer. Where have the Osundes, and the Cody Browns, and the Trevardo Williams and the Lindsay Wittens and even a Marcus Campbell been?
I liked it when our DEs could run 10.7 100m. Now I’m settling for anyone.

Reaction Score
I am neither impressed nor unimpressed by the staff of new head coaches until I see the product perform over time. If you start with the premise that HCJM was a good hire -- and during the early days the signs are good -- then by extension one has to grant the new HC the space to hire the coaching team he wants. Whether he wants a coaching team of rivals or one of teamwork, those decisions are his to make within reason. If any of us feels anxiety at this juncture, I recommend Oban, Lagavulin, or Talisker. Not gonna obsess at this point. The remaining coaches will be known shortly. The commits will be known soon. Likewise the portal transfers in. Looking forward to the spring blue white game and rebirth of the program this year.

DCT

Reaction Score
True enough about Calhoun. Both Perno and Raftery actually had decent records prior to entering the BE, which was obviously over their heads. In hindsight, the player making the worst decision to play for UConn was Corny. I think he had an offer from Dean Smith. He really didn’t progress as much as he might have as good as he was. Edsall was more like Perno. Hired as a D1A coach he was defaulted into our entry into the BE and caught lightening in a bottle when Danny O stayed home and made us competitive much faster than anyone had a right to expect. To his credit RE pretty much kept us competitive even with his bad record with getting quality QBs, discussed here ad nauseum. I just think RE was never as good as he fancied himself. I was less than thrilled when we rehired him. I wish he had proven me wrong. Mora has a tough job, an independent, no bowl affiliation and a program in the pits. Which gives him a decent grace period.
Pretty sure RE didn't default into Uconn in the Football Big East. He was hired specifically to get us into Big East Football. Hiring Edsall provided the gravitas needed for acceptance. Edsall was perfect for team moving to Div1

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Pretty sure RE didn't default into Uconn in the Football Big East. He was hired specifically to get us into Big East Football. Hiring Edsall provided the gravitas needed for acceptance. Edsall was perfect for team moving to Div1
Just when you think you have seen it all, RE’s ‘gravitas’ gets credit for the Big East move.

RE was a one-year DC from GT when he came over, a GT team with a great offense and bad defense.

We were bumped up because of institutional commitment and facilities.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
In the last few weeks we’ve read Diaco’s a class act, Crocker is a good coach and we owe BE to RE. PP for governor?
When PP was coach, I used to like seeing him jogging around campus... dude was working out harder than his offensive line. Remember that picture of the OL laying on each other's bellies at NFL scout day? Makes me sick

Reaction Score
In the last few weeks we’ve read Diaco’s a class act, Crocker is a good coach and we owe BE to RE. PP for governor?
No, but maybe PP for DC. I am not a PP apologist in any way, but the guy has an analytical mind, lives in the area, and has forgotten more about defense than any of us here has ever known. Not to worry. Not gonna happen.

Reaction Score
Is today the day we get Gordo? He has stripped down his twitter account. He need this guy today/tomorrow ahead of this big recruiting weekend.

Cavdad79 isn’t the right account. Some other coaches are following this one (@CoachSammis).

008.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom