Jim Mora’s new staff coming together… | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora’s new staff coming together…

Reaction Score
It was a different era

Good ol' Dom Perno. He was the way hiring used to be: alum and had been an assistant; he was deeply integrated into CT and NE. It was like Dee Rowe handed him a crown/scepter/throne. No search really as Toner obviously knew who he was. We were vastly unprepared for what the Big East became. Raftery too really. Seton Hall was a mess when they showed up to play. Then we got our tails whipped. The Corny Thompson, Mike McKay, Aleksinas talent was high - for out Program. But that descended quick. And I guess I am still amazed at what Calhoun did winning that NIT.

Recently, they were throwing us back into the time machine describing the VCU game in that NIT (as we played VCU in Bahamas). There is a tear in my eye thinking of that smelly old fieldhouse and the tight memories.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It was a different era

Good ol' Dom Perno. He was the way hiring used to be: alum and had been an assistant; he was deeply integrated into CT and NE. It was like Dee Rowe handed him a crown/scepter/throne. No search really as Toner obviously knew who he was. We were vastly unprepared for what the Big East became. Raftery too really. Seton Hall was a mess when they showed up to play. Then we got our tails whipped. The Corny Thompson, Mike McKay, Aleksinas talent was high - for out Program. But that descended quick. And I guess I am still amazed at what Calhoun did winning that NIT.

Recently, they were throwing us back into the time machine describing the VCU game in that NIT (as we played VCU in Bahamas). There is a tear in my eye thinking of that smelly old fieldhouse and the tight memories.
True enough about Calhoun. Both Perno and Raftery actually had decent records prior to entering the BE, which was obviously over their heads. In hindsight, the player making the worst decision to play for UConn was Corny. I think he had an offer from Dean Smith. He really didn’t progress as much as he might have as good as he was. Edsall was more like Perno. Hired as a D1A coach he was defaulted into our entry into the BE and caught lightening in a bottle when Danny O stayed home and made us competitive much faster than anyone had a right to expect. To his credit RE pretty much kept us competitive even with his bad record with getting quality QBs, discussed here ad nauseum. I just think RE was never as good as he fancied himself. I was less than thrilled when we rehired him. I wish he had proven me wrong. Mora has a tough job, an independent, no bowl affiliation and a program in the pits. Which gives him a decent grace period.

Reaction Score
These laws aren’t perfect, but they all exist for a reason. If you think that taxpayer money should go to the most qualified, and not reserved for friends of bosses even if they are overwhelmingly white and male, how do you not require some amount of openness in the hiring process?

Unless you think that college sports are so damn important that letting coaches hiring quickly and freely is more important than anti-discrimination laws.
So, basically you're saying you don't think JM is smart enough to both follow good hiring practices and hire the qualified and competent coaches he needs for UConn to be successful, so he has to have some government process in place to keep him honest.

Reaction Score
So, basically you're saying you don't think JM is smart enough to both follow good hiring practices and hire the qualified and competent coaches he needs for UConn to be successful, so he has to have some government process in place to keep him honest.
That’s clearly not what he’s saying. The point is about the system, not JM specifically.

Reaction Score
That’s clearly not what he’s saying. The point is about the system, not JM specifically.
I was about to make that same point. The discussion though, does highlight the inadequacy of trying to legislate fairness. At best, a slight increase in transparency is all that may be expected.

At Pratt & Whitney there used to be a way of indicating that a preferred candidate had already been identified. I think the language used was "A highly qualified candidate has been identified". You knew when you saw those words not to waste your time. And usually if you decided to tilt at that particular windmill anyway, for whatever reason, perhaps just for the practice, you found that the less qualified candidate was chosen anyway.

One ignores networking and relationships at the peril to one's career.

Reaction Score
That’s just the downside to working at a public university. You have deal with all the regulations and job postings. It is what it is. At the end of the day JM will hire the coaches he wants to hire. It will just take a little longer that’s all.

Reaction Score
Well ... just sitting here on the Group W bench waiting for the Monday or Tuesday announcements .... Trying to stay entertained and ward off the boredom.

Reaction Score
Try macrame or needlepoint.
Actually the discussion about the merits of job posting is holding my attention quite nicely. Those of us on the Group W bench don't need much to keep us entertained.

Btw, do you know who sits on the Group W bench? For that matter, do you know who Officer Obey is?

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Actually the discussion about the merits of job posting is holding my attention quite nicely. Those of us on the Group W bench don't need much to keep us entertained.

Btw, do you know who sits on the Group W bench? For that matter, do you know who Officer Obey is?
Uhhh...apparently mother stabbers and father rapers? And Officer Obie likes glossy photos of crime scenes.

Reaction Score
Specifically 8"x10" glossy photos.
27 of them to be precise. With a paragraph on the back of each one. That the blind judge could not see. And the folks here who are too young to have experienced the draft must think that we are absolutely nuts.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
27 of them to be precise. With a paragraph on the back of each one. That the blind judge could not see. And the folks here who are too young to have experienced the draft must think that we are absolutely nuts.
Well, to be honest, I'm 54 and had no idea what you were referring to without the use of the Google machine. I have heard the song, but never read through the lyrics. I almost needed a drink at 6 am. I'll stick to my 80's music.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Well, to be honest, I'm 54 and had no idea what you were referring to without the use of the Google machine. I have heard the song, but never read through the lyrics. I almost needed a drink at 6 am. I'll stick to my 80's music.
I didn't even know I needed to Google something until you mentioned it. I've also heard the song, but never truly listened.
Also 54.

Reaction Score
Mora just started following Gordon Sammis, ol coach at William and Mary
Flemington, NJ native, UVA '07 alum; guard. In addition to Bill & Mary. Sammis' OL and run game coordinator background includes Wahoos' Grad Assistant, VMI, Lafayette, and Columbia (recruiting coordinator). Likely DMV, PA, Joisey, prep and military prep school relationships. Heavy DMV, NJ, and Keystone State presence on current Tribe OL.

Reaction Score
Flemington, NJ native, UVA '07 alum; guard. In addition to Bill & Mary. Sammis' OL and run game coordinator background includes Wahoos' Grad Assistant, VMI, Lafayette, and Columbia (recruiting coordinator). Likely DMV, PA, Joisey, prep and military prep school relationships. Heavy DMV, NJ, and Keystone State presence on current Tribe OL.

Yes please.

Reaction Score
I like the way he describes learning the protections quickly. Too often our guys have been beat not by getting outplayed, but just blocking (or not blocking) the wrong guy.

I hope it works like he describes. Fingers crossed.

That was interesting and makes a lot of sense, plus it includes the QB in the equation by stating he can't drop back more than 8 or 9 yards or it defeats the blocking scheme.
Hire him with the caveat that he looses $100 in salary for every "OK" he utters.

Reaction Score
Each time, over the last few years of UConn's football troubles, I find the most enjoyable thing about UConn football, for me, was looking forward to how they will improve under a newly hired coach. I have been wrong each time but, really believe that this time that they will actually improve and that over the next few years I will enjoy watching the football too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom