Jim Mora’s new staff coming together… | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora’s new staff coming together…

Reaction Score
sorry

Any sentence with George DeLeone in it is toxic. I had that internal vomit reaction before he ever came to UConn. We watched the Syracuse board intensely a decade ago and he never seemed to make the Offense work and intensely turned off fans and his Team with oddball theories. He was a bad ingredient - and I recognize PP/GDL had magic in their CT HS coaching relations

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Lou's version may be a bit slanted.

RE did leave quite a bit to be desired in terms of personality but I doubt it was as clear cut as Lou claims (only offers for kids who attend his camp).

There were quite a few coaches down here (I imagine all following Marinelli's lead) who believed UConn should have been required to offer a scholarship to any kid that might be close to D1 level while at the same time, any kid who was good enough to land at an ACC (or other FBS) was too good for UConn.

I'm just glad that this silly, junior high school level feud is behind us.

Reaction Score
Lou's version may be a bit slanted.

RE did leave quite a bit to be desired in terms of personality but I doubt it was as clear cut as Lou claims (only offers for kids who attend his camp).

There were quite a few coaches down here (I imagine all following Marinelli's lead) who believed UConn should have been required to offer a scholarship to any kid that might be close to D1 level while at the same time, any kid who was good enough to land at an ACC (or other FBS) was too good for UConn.

I'm just glad that this silly, junior high school level feud is behind us.
It’ll behind us when a FFC 4 star shows up here. Until then, it’s CT at its best - fighting to protect local fiefdoms at expense of greater good.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
What I find disappointing and ultimately foolish is that the head coach of the state U wasn’t able to outflank all of this over time.

Instead it became another example of the process first, results be damned.

Any state U must have a challenging environment juggling and stroking the instate HS coaches, it’s hidden part of the job. Just get it done- the HS coaches don’t need you but you’ll never know when you’ll need them.

Btw- I used to defend Randy’s approach to camp first, but that should always have been a soft policy. When the stands are empty and the losses are piling up you need to change your ways.

Reaction Score
Someone needs to ask Lou how many kids he sent to UConn when PP/GDL & Diaco were there…

Yep. Lou Marinelli has zero credibility. He has always been anti UCONN. I am confident his son will be able to make headway into Fairfield County, and Connecticut in general.

Reaction Score
as we contrast George DeLeone (as put in our minds again by Lou Marinelli) then Randy Edsall ... and get to John Marinelli + Nick Charlton, we arrive at an important theme - HAMMERED by our new West Coast arrival: New England football has leaped forward. We are well beyond the old fashioned thinking + closeminded Offense + process. Vive la difference. We have young guys - relatable to all recruits - in the house. New England football has woken up.

God bless Lou Marinelli and Lou DeFillippo. We might find Mora has infused our next generation of UCONN HC onto the staff over the weekend; and we continue to build Prep school relations and a pipeline from several needed markets of kids. We have to have a foundation of winning football AND interesting Offense/Defense/Specials.

Reaction Score
Or could it be that the OC is a QB “Guru”? And even big programs have a slash
Agreed. If Mazzone was hired as OC he was most definitely going to be the QB coach too. It makes a lot of sense for the OC to coach the QB's as the QB is the person that is running the offense on the field. They basically go hand in hand.

Reaction Score
sorry

Any sentence with George DeLeone in it is toxic. I had that internal vomit reaction before he ever came to UConn. We watched the Syracuse board intensely a decade ago and he never seemed to make the Offense work and intensely turned off fans and his Team with oddball theories. He was a bad ingredient - and I recognize PP/GDL had magic in their CT HS coaching relations
So true... but there was Hathaway choosing PP and this guy to run Uconn's offense....
" DeLeone was the fall guy for two seasons of shame, two years that brought a 10-14 record, plummeting attendance and a black eye to SU’s tradition. ‘In the minds of the public, clearly something had to be done, or we were going to lose everybody,’ (Syracuse AD) Crouthamel said. ‘One way to do that is to have George leave.’"

Reaction Score
John Marinelli - It is really nice to see how serious about recruiting in Connecticut Jim Mora is. Bringing in a coach who grew-up in Connecticut and attending a high school football game here is a terrific way to start.
Getting kids from CT I think also helps gets fans in the seats. More CT means more family and friends coming to see them play every week.

Reaction Score
Getting kids from CT I think also helps gets fans in the seats. More CT means more family and friends coming to see them play every week.
I think the bigger takeaway for me has always been, if UConn is going to start landing 4 star players at any point is going to have to start with instate kids. Even UConn BB started the train rolling with Chris Smith and Scott Burrell.

Reaction Score
In this situation with a coaching change at Maine, will the requirement to sit out a year be waived if he comes to UConn? I have lost track what with the pandemic rules changes which I guess are now expiring?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
In this situation with a coaching change at Maine, will the requirement to sit out a year be waived if he comes to UConn? I have lost track what with the pandemic rules changes which I guess are now expiring?
i believe if you come from FCS to FBS you don't need to sit a year, don't know if it works both ways

Reactions: DCT
Reaction Score
If you look over the geography of like 10 programs that are FBS in Texas, you see many many examples of Texas HS coaches rising to be significant coaches at the University programs. Then - Briles, Drayton, Morris, etc - becoming HC at the FBS level. It really doesn't happen like that in full colors in other major regions - California or Ohio or PA. But Marinelli ... I am rooting for him to rise up to his full potential.

Reaction Score
Exactly.

When RE was there: "he didn't like our guys. Screw him"
When PP/GDL and Diaco was there: "They stink, why would we send them there?"

Hopefully the younger Marinelli breaks this dam.
Not easy to break. A lot of top ct players ended up at Michigan, ND ,Penn State etc. Not easy to convince kid to come to UConn or play in front of 90;000 at the big house.

Reaction Score
wow..No UConn if you don't come to my camp? Tip of the dysfunctional iceberg?
Well football is a different animal but from my experience with baseball the camps are way for coaches to bring extra money into the program and give the assistants extra cash. Also, all the coaches I have spoken to say they have so many players they are following or want to be recruited its best to go to one of their camps if you are interested. They don't want to waste their time recruiting someone that has no interest in going to their school. One showed me he has thousands of emails from players and there is no way he can sort through all those emails. If you go to the camp they can focus on players they have a shot at getting.

That said if you are a superstar obviously you don't need to go to camps. It would seem to me that in football you need a lot of players and if your scouts think they are good enough no reason not to offer them especially a CT kid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom