Jim Mora’s new staff coming together… | Page 50 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora’s new staff coming together…

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No he is right - most basketball fans support football (some maybe while holding their nose) but there were many that advocated dropping football.
I may do a poll on this at some point in time. I suspect that there is a substantial minority who route for all UConn sports. Another group who only support one or two sports, say basketball and football or women’s basketball and men’s basketball and a third group who actively root against sports other than the one they follow, which is so weird to me. I suspect that last group is relatively small, but vocal.

Reaction Score
I may do a poll on this at some point in time. I suspect that there is a substantial minority who route for all UConn sports. Another group who only support one or two sports, say basketball and football or women’s basketball and men’s basketball and a third group who actively root against sports other than the one they follow, which is so weird to me. I suspect that last group is relatively small, but vocal.
I actively route football, hockey and baseball. I check scores for pretty much everything else. I can't stand basketball as a sport in general, but I will route for the bball Huskies from afar.

Reaction Score
There is a big difference between rooting for a UConn team and following a UConn team.

As an alum, I always root for all UConn teams. I follow football and basketball pretty religiously. And I follow soccer, hockey and baseball on an irregular -occasional- basis. I don't follow any women's sports.

Reaction Score
Cannot say enough how awesome the new staff is. ENERGY level ten. Just the right balance of old staff members still in place too with Lou, Coach Z, Harris, student workers (who play a vital role in assistance with visits, admin tasks, and campus knowledge), Coach King, Carrezola (an alum who played under Diaco, Edsall and has seen quite a lot), Petrarca, and of course legendary Coach B. Infusion of youth there is a breath of fresh air, with all due respect to previous staff.

Reaction Score
What I want to know is how the hell is it possible to root for one UConn team and against another? Unless of course your kid plays for another school that has UConn on their schedule. I am more of a hockey guy than anything. But I root for all UConn teams except when the UConn women play Clarkson in hockey. Or when Quinnipiac plays the UConn men's soccer team. Hell, I even follow WBB and to a lesser extend MBB. Field hockey too. Baseball. Geez, I am proud of them all. And I only went to UConn grad school for a degree that I never ultimately got.

Reaction Score
What I want to know is how the hell is it possible to root for one UConn team and against another? Unless of course your kid plays for another school that has UConn on their schedule. I am more of a hockey guy than anything. But I root for all UConn teams except when the UConn women play Clarkson in hockey. Or when Quinnipiac plays the UConn men's soccer team. Hell, I even follow WBB and to a lesser extend MBB. Field hockey too. Baseball. Geez, I am proud of them all. And I only went to UConn grad school for a degree that I never ultimately got.
I agree 100 percent. I root for everything. It’s my school. It’s weird but it does exist. I never can understand why.

Reaction Score
Cannot say enough how awesome the new staff is. ENERGY level ten. Just the right balance of old staff members still in place too with Lou, Coach Z, Harris, student workers (who play a vital role in assistance with visits, admin tasks, and campus knowledge), Coach King, Carrezola (an alum who played under Diaco, Edsall and has seen quite a lot), Petrarca, and of course legendary Coach B. Infusion of youth there is a breath of fresh air, with all due respect to previous staff.
It's interesting to me how a guy that's been immersed as a Coach can fall behind and another who went on sabbatical for years can step in and be ahead of the curve.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
It's interesting to me how a guy that's been immersed as a Coach can fall behind and another who went on sabbatical for years can step in and be ahead of the curve.
I would love to see where the athletic department change came from in the fact we have 20 more off -field personnel than before. Was RE held back or did he hold us back? I doubt he wouldn't have wanted the extra off field personnel.

Did Mora say he wanted this or did DB say this is what we need to do?

Reaction Score
Fresh. And the new guy got more tools to help him, guaranteed. It is always the way.

Reaction Score
I would love to see where the athletic department change came from in the fact we have 20 more off -field personnel than before. Was RE held back or did he hold us back? I doubt he wouldn't have wanted the extra off field personnel.

My gut

Edsall is tightly sphincter. He controlled the recruiting process; as evidenced by his son having the most frequent + significant interactive relationships as this year progressed. We had a central function for talent acquisition; but, the eyeballs had to eventually be Randy Randy. This NEW staff is decentralized. Lots of experienced (and in many different regions + venues) and seemingly all the assistants and some support are front and center on the Offers and the process to visits; then commitments. Mora saw the P5 rush to layered staffing and the Chief of Staff type structure. We have the bulked up back office because its Mora's nature (and certainly started in NFL) and that is absolutely the wave of how the bigtime CFB pushed now. The feel I get is Mora has his finger on culture and make sure he is comfortable with character.

Reaction Score
Mora is more modern in his approach simple as that. Knows he needs help (especially from young minds) to connect and attract today’s talent. Knows he needs a diverse staff (they have emphasized trying to get more women in the office). More staff means more ideas on little things (what to serve for food on an official visit, what to serve players after game, how to get players to enter games and how they’re greeted when exiting planes etc.). More people allows for more ideas that seem minor but actually help attract kids. Edsall did not have a lot of people; which also meant that coaches and DPP and personnel staff, rather than operations staff, had to work on silly things like what the welcome to UConn packets will look like for recruits or how to use the copy machine lol. Having a larger recruiting staff will especially help the young position coaches so they can spend more time watching film and talking to athletes rather than figuring out how they’re going to travel or which picture to send the recruits from their visits etc

Reaction Score

During their little honeymoon I think Jim and Dave were both aware this had to be done to get back on a competitive level. But Dave had to make it happen and they both got buy-in somehow. It's possible RE just didn't prioritize additional staff and felt it wasn't an imperative..

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
During their little honeymoon I think Jim and Dave were both aware this had to be done to get back on a competitive level. But Dave had to make it happen and they both got buy-in somehow. It's possible RE just didn't prioritize additional staff and felt it wasn't an imperative..
How easy is it to picture RE saying, "If that's what player X is worried about, then we don't need them..."?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
How easy is it to picture RE saying, "If that's what player X is worried about, then we don't need them..."?
I don't believe that. As long as the kid was committed to improving, RE didn't have a problem. I do think he was sloppy and old school about sending kids on their way.

But the difference in staffing is stark and who outside of Bob Diaco wouldn't want extra administrative help? If this support was not available to RE, then can you totally put all the blame on him? I do not want to sound like an apologista and surely don't want to be looking backward, but this is truly remarkable when you see the staffing difference.

Reaction Score

I can see Randy rejecting the indirect staff. Like I said he’d rather lose or not improve than be proven wrong.

Reaction Score
I don't believe that. As long as the kid was committed to improving, RE didn't have a problem. I do think he was sloppy and old school about sending kids on their way.

But the difference in staffing is stark and who outside of Bob Diaco wouldn't want extra administrative help? If this support was not available to RE, then can you totally put all the blame on him? I do not want to sound like an apologista and surely don't want to be looking backward, but this is truly remarkable when you see the staffing difference.
Also this is likely as much Benedict as Mora.

Before Mora was hired Benedict said he wanted a coach and a program with a more modern engagement strategy.

With this support staff our coaches are less burdened with admin work and can focus on coaching and recruiting.

Reaction Score
Mike Ryan is again listed as a defensive analyst and Christian Pace is listed as an offensive analyst

Reaction Score

It's early in the Mora era, but based on what we have seen so far, Mora is able to delegate more than Edsall did. Increasing the staff size doesn't really help someone that much who isn't a delegator.

Another major difference that I see of Mora vs Edsall is that Edsall seemed to believe some things were not possible like getting Connecticut kids to go to UConn and he seemed to have given up trying. Mora has a fresh perspective and it looks like he is going to make a major effort to try.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom