Jim Mora’s new staff coming together… | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora’s new staff coming together…

Reaction Score
If this is our guy at DC, I'm OK with this... I like how he switches up defenses, disguises blitzes... Can't remember when we've done that lately...
Well I happened to click the 55 minute mark in the video to see the defense. Don't watch from that point if you want to be impressed.

Reaction Score
It doesn't. Crocker's wasn't aggressive like that. I'm sure we can all figure out why.
That was the biggest problem with that whole situation. Crocker's defenses at Nova blitzed like crazy. Especially from the D Backs, which is an unusual look for an offense, and made it very successful.

He comes here, and all of a sudden it's a vanilla 3-3-5, no blitzing...which is basically constant prevent defense. Of course it was gonna fail !

Everything Randy touches...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Our best DE, Kevon Jones, had more offside than TFL's this year. Watts came off an injury and never looked the same, but he is young. The rest were either freshman, as in McCarthy or Harris, or DeVaughn, who has never been big or fast enough to be more than a role player.

Right. Even though I don't know the context of @businesslawyer post about we never knew, the follow on context is either the coaches didn't scheme for it or the player's never showed the ability to perform the schemes. Or, as I think is the case, the coaches didn't scheme and the players weren't good enough to draw up that scheme. It's been a decade since UConn has had a fast DE who could beat tackles and get to QB. And it's been just as long since UConn has a LB or DB who was fast enough to get to QB and still skilled enough to drop in coverage to disguise blitzes.

TL;DR??? UConn's coaches have been bland and UConn's talent level for getting to the QB has been just as sub par.

Reaction Score
That was the biggest problem with that whole situation. Crocker's defenses at Nova blitzed like crazy. Especially from the D Backs, which is an unusual look for an offense, and made it very successful.

He comes here, and all of a sudden it's a vanilla 3-3-5, no blitzing...which is basically constant prevent defense. Of course it was gonna fail !

Everything Randy touches...
It's probably a mistake to compare anything that looks similar before the ball is snapped to what we had previously. When the personnel on the field, the coaches and the philosophy of the HC are flipped all that goes out the window. Even Diaco looked good when he had the best talent and staff in the country, and his D wasn't stuck on the field after multiple 3 and outs.

Reaction Score
“Don’t know the future. Can’t change the past. “ - Margo Price.
That said, I thought the 3-3-5 made a lot of sense at the time. The AAC was really a gunslingers conference during those years. I was really pulling for Crocker and I’m sorry it didn’t work out.

Reaction Score
The Last time we hired a FCS DC in Crocker things couldn't have worked out worse - just saying. I'd like someone with DC experience at the FBS level.
Last time we hired a head coach that was fired from his last college coaching position couldn't have worked out worse - just saying.

Reaction Score
Last time we hired a head coach that was fired from his last college coaching position couldn't have worked out worse - just saying.
When was the last time we hired a coach with NFL head coaching experience?

Reaction Score
Right. Even though I don't know the context of @businesslawyer post about we never knew, the follow on context is either the coaches didn't scheme for it or the player's never showed the ability to perform the schemes. Or, as I think is the case, the coaches didn't scheme and the players weren't good enough to draw up that scheme. It's been a decade since UConn has had a fast DE who could beat tackles and get to QB. And it's been just as long since UConn has a LB or DB who was fast enough to get to QB and still skilled enough to drop in coverage to disguise blitzes.

TL;DR??? UConn's coaches have been bland and UConn's talent level for getting to the QB has been just as sub par.

Since Luke C, I don't think we've recruited a WSDE who we even thought might develop into someone who could rush the passer. Where have the Osundes, and the Cody Browns, and the Trevardo Williams and the Lindsay Wittens and even a Marcus Campbell been?

Reaction Score
Since Luke C, I don't think we've recruited a WSDE who we even thought might develop into someone who could rush the passer. Where have the Osundes, and the Cody Browns, and the Trevardo Williams and the Lindsay Wittens and even a Marcus Campbell been?

Graham Stewart was solid

Reaction Score
What coach Mora has done in 3 weeks is unbelievable. I feel like our staff and how the program was run under Edsall was extremely incompetent. Much like a low division 2 team is run. Coach Mora has totally upgraded the staff and for the first time ever I feel like we are operating like a top P5 program. I know our schedule next season is incredibly difficult but I really think he is going to turn us around much quicker then anyone dreams is possible.

Reaction Score
From 2015 through 2021, UConn has had one OC that had previous OC experience, Lashlee.

UConn's OCs:
2015: Frank Verducci
2016: Verducci and then Corley for last 3 games
2017: Lashlee
2018: John Dunn
2019: Frank Guifre
2021: Guifre

When offense seems to be your biggest problem, why did UConn constantly hire OCs with no experience? And, why hire a DC to switch to a 3-3-5 when Diaco's players were not capable of playing it? I think the biggest mistake that RE 2.0 made was the selection of OCs and DCs. I'm more optimistic about Mora's coaching selections.

Reaction Score
to be fair.. offense wasn't the biggest problem until the defense stopped being historically terrible. (and actually I don't think Dunn did a terrible job, as evidenced by his movement to the NFL (the Jets still count))

Reaction Score
Exactly, Billy is a good coach.
Here is the thing. If another coach came in would it have been better? Sometimes, it is scheme, sometimes it is philosophy. Most of the times it was talent. That team had no players on defense

Reaction Score

-> Siriki Diabate, Middle Tennessee, Linebackers Coach (29): A former captain at Syracuse, Diabate joined the coaching ranks immediately upon graduation. He earned his first on-field role at Colgate as a 24-year-old, and in the years since he’s done internships with the Buffalo Bills and Dallas Cowboys along with a short stint as an analyst at Notre Dame. Since 2017, he’s coached Middle Tennessee’s linebackers, a run that’s seen him develop a trio of all-conference players (Darius Harris, Khalil Brooks, DQ Thomas). <-

Reaction Score
Here is the thing. If another coach came in would it have been better? Sometimes, it is scheme, sometimes it is philosophy. Most of the times it was talent. That team had no players on defense

Obviously, coaching does matter. But it matters far, far less than talent. It's not the X's and the O's, it's the Jimmies and the Joes.

Reaction Score
Obviously, coaching does matter. But it matters far, far less than talent. It's not the X's and the O's, it's the Jimmies and the Joes.
The "Jimmie and Joes" is a catchy phrase, but the difference in the offense when Mazzone had a few weeks as an advisor tells me that poor coaching and an unsuccessful system can be turned around quickly. Good coaching brings out the best in the available talent. The young coaching minds (Charlton, Diabate, Sammis, Marinelli, Polizzi? ect) with Mora's experience will hopefully get the program on an upward trajectory. Mora's hiring focus on young guys that are building coaching careers is refreshing. If successful they may move to greener pastures, but success is what this team and fan base need.

Reaction Score
Well I happened to click the 55 minute mark in the video to see the defense. Don't watch from that point if you want to be impressed.
You're joking right? This is a playoff game... something we haven't sniffed since when we were FCS (or D1-AA.. take your pick)... You're comparing stuff that happened in a playoff game at the 55:00 mark and beyond versus what we've had the past decade or so... You gotta be kidding me... seriously....

Reaction Score
From 2015 through 2021, UConn has had one OC that had previous OC experience, Lashlee.

UConn's OCs:
2015: Frank Verducci
2016: Verducci and then Corley for last 3 games
2017: Lashlee
2018: John Dunn
2019: Frank Guifre
2021: Guifre

When offense seems to be your biggest problem, why did UConn constantly hire OCs with no experience? And, why hire a DC to switch to a 3-3-5 when Diaco's players were not capable of playing it? I think the biggest mistake that RE 2.0 made was the selection of OCs and DCs. I'm more optimistic about Mora's coaching selections.
I am sure you remember this better than me, but the expanation at the time was that the defense had more backers than bigs ready to play at FBS level. The result, as you will remember, was cringe worthy. The only game that we stayed for the entire second half that year was Rhode Island. That game was entertaining even though you shuddered with embarrassment every time the Rams had the ball.

Reaction Score
The closing date for the job postings was changed to December 9.

Reaction Score
what does expanation mean ... is that a aerospace word?

I would characterize the HCRE staff - Lashlee, Richardson, ASmith, Lashlee's OLine guy, Cory, Curome Cox, Dottin-Carter, Wholley, Crocker - as a hodgepodge. A handful of comfort food. And some spice that DB threw into the mix. And the balance of the Crocker (using Diaco guys) with Lashlee speedy play spread ... was simply horrific to watch.

Edsall hurt himself by bringing is sticky culture mindset with components that never fit.

Mora is swimming against the tide to build a coaching staff of youth, energy, connectivity, lower level buzz. Charlton - I am sure is the link amongst many Mora would call in our region. He has impressed. Marinelli? A great plug with unknown upside. I like that Bielema used him on the headphone + strategic thinking. The others seem to carry through on that same vein. In other words, guys Edsall had experience with/comfort ... versus guys you looked for a progression of traits that you might project a cultural fit. With young men. Edsall always loved - I think - to have another 50 year old to lean on. And 2.0 became just HCRE (with his son as surrogate) creating this Frankenstein monster. Mora feels different, in that Charlton, Marinelli, Sidiki come with the notion that they love the autonomy to part of their coaching. And I bet Mora has spread the Approval on proffering offers to a wider group. Like Pehrson

OK ... highly speculative and awaiting more breadcrumbs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom