Jim Fuller is wrong....UConn bench not "often downright dreadful"..... | The Boneyard

Jim Fuller is wrong....UConn bench not "often downright dreadful".....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
huskies.jpg

According to Jim Fuller, UConn's bench "often times " played "downright dreadful" in the AAC tournament. Really? I missed those wretched performances. Perhaps I was watching the wrong channel. :rolleyes: It must be true because Fuller, the run on sentence king, actually offered evidence to support his theory. The "key reserves" shot 3-16 during the tournament. Wow, talk about documentation!

Just for fun, I conducted a slightly more extensive examination of the "key reserves" and their play over the last 5 games. The games were played from March 1-10 and include two games against Rutgers, two versus Louisville and a single game with Cincinnati.

1. The main duty of the bench is to give the starters rest. Despite their superior conditioning, Stewie and crew need a break now and again. Especially when playing at the end of a long season or in back to back games. In those five games, Stokes, Chong and Banks played 174 minutes. TLAW and Polly added 13 minutes of what the eloquent Fuller called "garbage time." So the reserves provided 187 minutes of play. Divide that by five games, then by five starters and the reserves gave each starter an average of 7 1/2 minutes of rest per game. Mission accomplished.

2. The second goal of the bench is to preserve the lead built up by the starters. In the last five games, UConn had halftime leads of 25, 12, 20, 31 and 18 points. The final margin of victory in those five games was 37, 20, 30, 26 and 20 points. So in 4 of the 5 games, the lead was actually extended further by the end of the game. The only exception was Rutgers reducing a ridiculous 31 point deficit to just 26 in the AAC semi final. Goal #2 met.

3. Did the reserves contribute anything positive to UConn's victories or were they "downright dreadful" as Fuller claims? Their shooting in the five games was not a whole lot better, 7-24 or 29%. Considering that Shoni Schimmel shot 7-25 in just a single game vs. five games for UConn's reserves, can we at least give them credit for NOT cranking up shot after shot. Passing the ball to Stewie or KML is actually a smart thing when they are shooting 50% from the field. No mention was made of the reserves' free throw shooting, probably because they went 10-12 or 83%. That is pretty far from "dreadful." Stokes, Chong and Banks also grabbed 42 rebounds, handed out 8 assists, blocked 10 shots and pilfered 4 steals. All of that versus 9 turnovers. Fuller somehow missed those contributions.

There is plenty room for improvement for UConn's non-starters in the NCAA tournament. I'm sure Geno is working on that as this very moment. But to call their recent efforts "downright dreadful" is to minimize a tremendous effort and a noticeable contribution to five great wins.

Go Huskies..!!

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yeah, the guy is confusing their shooting being dreadful - it was - with their contribution being dreadful. It wasn't. The way the team is cobstituted, bench scoring is nice to have, but doesn't seem to be that important, not to say that somewhere along the line it would matter a lot. I think Jim might ask the opposition how "dreadful" Kiah has been. I have my suspicions. Ditto for Brianna on the defensive end. Apparently Jim doesn't watch our bench play D or contribute to ball movement on O. Aside from our bench being short, bench play is not a major weakness.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Actually I disagree. I was at all 3 games in person. Did they give the starters a rest? Sure. They averaged about 15 minutes each in the first 2 games, against Cinci and Rutgers. Did they do anything other than take up space on the court as 1/5 of a team? Rarely. Banks had a few nice steals, and played some terrific defense on Shoni Schimmel. The rest of the time, honestly, it was like watching 5 on 4.

Compare what they did to what Kiah did. Sure there were some times she missed a layup or had a rebound squirt out of her hands, but she was active and actually looked like a UCONN basketball player. Unfortunately for Saniya, especially, she simply did not.

There's a reason they got a grand total of 7 minutes combined against L'ville in the final game (only 2 for Saniya) - they aren't ready to play at the level required for a UCONN basketball player. And the frustrating thing is that I've seen them look much better earlier in the year - heck Chong dropped 17 points at one point, started against SMU playing 25 minutes and scored 5 points while dishing out 4 assists. It's not like she can't do it - but both seem to have regressed for some reason.

Can they still develop? Sure. Saniya is, after all, only a freshman. Brianna is coming off an injury from last year. Our starting 5 is so much better than every other team out there that it's sometimes easy to overlook how unprepared our reserve guards seem to be to contribute at a high level. Can they give the starters rest? If Tuck were 100% healthy, we'd have a core of 7 players and would not be as worried about our 2 reserve guards. Of course. Other than that, at this point, I don't see that they are doing much else out there.

These 2 need to work exceptionally hard over the summer because given the incredible talent coming in next year in the guard spots, I could see them easily both dropping behind Nurse and Williams right out the gate. And I'm not trying to pile it on them. I love them both like the rest of the team, but the reality is they aren't very good at the moment, but count me among the fans rooting big time for the light bulb to go back on in their heads!!

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Your replymakes sense, Eric. I think what people in this thread are really objecting to is what Jeff Jacobs called "volume". Certainly the bench could contribute more - most here know this - but the word "dreadful" might have been too loud, so to speak. Good points often get drowned out in too much noise.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Anyone who has watched the Huskies through the years at tournament time knows the score by now. The Husky starters will average 35-40 minutes in games 2-6 of the tourney, and the great majority of the minutes left over will go to Kiah. With 5 tremendously capable scorers among the starters, the reserves in any minutes will not be getting many shots. Their main job is to be ready in case of any big need, but likely there will not be that opportunity.

That players are not shooting great this time of year when they know they are the 5th option and won't be seeing much time is not hard to understand. The situation was much different back in earlier times when Saniya and Brianna were seeing bigger chunks of minutes and got into the game rhythms. There's no time for that now, and Geno is going to go with 5 of the best players in the nation for about 185 minutes combined with Kiah coming in to strike occasional terror.

Works for me, even if it doesn't work for Fuller.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Your replymakes sense, Eric. I think what people in this thread are really objecting to is what Jeff Jacobs called "volume". Certainly the bench could contribute more - most here know this - but the word "dreadful" might have been too loud, so to speak. Good points often get drowned out in too much noise.

Exactly. I liked Jacob's point that sometimes the words are fine, but the volume is at the wrong level. In this case, I'd quibble with the word "dreadful" but the main issue was the volume.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
JMO but I have to wonder when the bench players come into the game if their first objective is to play minutes to give the starters a rest and not make any mistakes. So they dont shoot the ball and try to score. The first thing I think they need is confidence in a big game to shoot the ball with the confidence that they know its going in and not worry about if it doesnt. In games where the competition is not strong they shoot the ball. In the AAC tourney they didnt look to shoot in the final 2 games. Why? Its an obstacle they need to get over.
You saw that from MoJeff Tuck and Breanna last season. BB shot the ball well last season and the beginning of this season until her injury. It takes time and as fans we need to be patient.

Reaction Score
If anyone here is looking for our bench to be better than the opposing teams
starting five they're just going to have to wait until next season for that.:)

Reaction Score
For Geno, subs aren't just supposed to get minutes and not screw up, they need to contribute. This team is so much better than Cinci and Rutgers that you could sub in my Mom and they'd still do ok. What you want is someone who could contribute against a good opponent.
Banks and Chong will get 1 or 2 more chances in the first weekend. But the die is somewhat cast -- Geno is going to ride his starters + Stokes. The main question seems to be whether Mo, Bria, Stew play 40 minutes or 37.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
For Geno, subs aren't just supposed to get minutes and not screw up, they need to contribute. This team is so much better than Cinci and Rutgers that you could sub in my Mom and they'd still do ok. What you want is someone who could contribute against a good opponent.
Banks and Chong will get 1 or 2 more chances in the first weekend. But the die is somewhat cast -- Geno is going to ride his starters + Stokes. The main question seems to be whether Mo, Bria, Stew play 40 minutes or 37.

vowel....I don't disagree at all on what Geno wants from subs. For most of the year he got that and more, including 14 starts for injured players. Stokes, Chong and Banks scored 454 points, grabbed 355 rebounds, had 130 assists, 95 blocks, 69 steals. Good contributions. I'm not sure about your Mom's stats, but I'm sure they are excellent. :rolleyes: Room for improvement from each in the NCAA tourney for sure, can't wait to see how Kiah, Saniya and Brianna respond. :)

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Make a few open looks for cryin' out loud. That's not too much to ask.

Reaction Score
Amazed at how inconsistent many posters are on here. Not particular to anyone in this thread. But many posters in the past have stated that our bench players could start for most teams in the country, if so, then they need to do more than rest our starters and if not, then that comment should not be made so often.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Amazed at how inconsistent many posters are on here. Not particular to anyone in this thread. But many posters in the past have stated that our bench players could start for most teams in the country, if so, then they need to do more than rest our starters and if not, then that comment should not be made so often.
Unless you know that someone said the bench players could start are the same ones that said all they need to do is provide rest for the starters, no one is being inconsistent.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Hopefully the worry over the bench won't reach hysterical levels. Last year in the FF, the top 6 on the floor for the Huskies contributed 171 of the 176 points in the two games. Though Heather's steal and basket was the awesome highlight of the FF, I think the Huskies would have survived last year without it, and likely they won't be that dependent on a big inspiration play this year.

Just don't get the big frets about the bench, but I guess the worry towels need to get chewed.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Every year it seems folks start worrying about the bench. Win or lose the Championship, the finger-pointing at Geno for "not developing the bench" or "ruining their confidence" has oft been a theme. Waiting for it....

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Every year it seems folks start worrying about the bench. Win or lose the Championship, the finger-pointing at Geno for "not developing the bench" or "ruining their confidence" has oft been a theme. Waiting for it....
You forgot to mention Geno's poor recruiting and failing to get so-and-so, who could have made an impact off the bench.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

I don't know Justin, I certainly was one of those.
I sure was wrong about Morgan's minute's, obviously trying to manage her injury.
I thought we could get more out of Mo last season, I suppose I still believe it, even in the face of her pronouncements and Doggy's scorn.
I think Banks actually looks fine and is ready for a breakout game
Have no worries about Kiah: I think Geno is riding her now, just to get more.
It's Saniya I'm worried about, sure looks lost.
Who can tell why that is?
Nobody, except people inside the program.
I don't buy the simplistic adage that she's a freshman, what do you expect?
But I have my thoughts on it, which I am reluctant to commit to paper.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I sure was wrong about Morgan's minute's, obviously trying to manage her injury.
I thought we could get more out of Mo last season, I suppose I still believe it, even in the face of her pronouncements and Doggy's scorn.
Her name is not Justin.

It's This Just In.......

And you can stop using me as an example of who doesn't agree with your playing time issues. There were many more.

I don't blame you for not posting your probable cockamamie theory on Chong not being developed properly. You've already shown how wrong you've been. Why do it again?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Wow, thoughts that can't be committed to paper, or even the forum screen? That's heavy stuff, and it's probably a BY first, since I've never run into a poster here who was unwilling to commit even the most stupendously impossible thought to the screen on the assumption that it will be universally accepted.

But I'm with you on this, and there really is a conspiracy to keep Saniya down, just like MoJeff last year, who was only allowed to score 3 points and 3 assists in her 25 minutes in the FF. Gotta be some reason beyond Geno wanting to go with the experienced hands. Of course he wants his freshman out there in crunch instead of giving Bria her 38 minutes at the end of her UConn career.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
You know, you really should change the TJI handle to ThisJustine to avoid newbie confusion, though with the way you women keep gobbling up fine guys' names like mine, I'm sure Justin will be the top girls' birth name by the time Geno gets his 12th NC.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

Post away. The history you have with cognitive error suggests you have nothing to lose. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
David Naples, I think you should climb down a bit; Of course there were some alarming words-- probably to get our attention. But you cannot claim that our bench minus Kia are thrustworthy. If they have to provide anything more than 2 min of breather for the starting 5 we are in trouble. That Chong has scored in double figures is against the point bec that came early on during the year. Playing time- maybe. But we do not have a person coming off the bench that have shot the ball consistently and command the opposing team to defend her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom