Jerry York Retires | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jerry York Retires

Reaction Score
Because of the ACC it’s both football and basketball. Big money there. The contract with ESPN alone pays the ACC 240 million per year through 2036. It’s all about the money.

Thanks! I guess I was thinking the only sport they are good at is hockey. I guess it doesn't matter as long as you're in the right conference. Sigh.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I think hockey has always really been #2 at BC. At least in terms of interest, not money.
Maybe, but money is the all important factor and hockey makes a mere fraction of what hoops and football do. Believe it or not, BC basketball beat hockey in averageattendance by a comfortable margin. 5548 to 4155.

Reaction Score
Maybe, but money is the all important factor and hockey makes a mere fraction of what hoops and football do. Believe it or not, BC basketball beat hockey in averageattendance by a comfortable margin. 5548 to 4155.
I live in Boston so I've been to most of the UConn games up here this past season -- was genuinely disappointed by the attendance (or lack there of) at most of the games (Northeastern/BU/BC). The most recent BC game was a Friday night and I know the team was bad but they did not have a good crowd. I was looking forward to a great atmosphere and that was not the case, sadly. Makes kind of more sense why our new arena on campus has the capacity it does...

I will also say that UConn hockey fans traveled well to the games up here!

Side note: Harvard's barn is great and is probably capacity-wise close to what ours will be in Storrs. (Saw them play the wife's alma mater, QU). I would love for UConn to play there in the near future again (it was no crowds with COVID this year for our one game).

Reaction Score

The tweet that was deleted this morning:
008.jpg

Reaction Score

Can't speak to the Brown news, but I've heard from solid sources inside BU that Pandolfo is the hire.

I expect Joe Pereira would be his #1 target to replace him as BU's associate head coach. He'd be an absolute home run hire for BU, but I don't know that we'd get him. Joe is well entrenched at UConn and I've heard from folks inside BU that he loves it there. Joe previously turned down an assistant coach offer from BU under Albie.

Reaction Score
That BC job had a lot of internal strife. Alums were pushing HARD for Greg Brown but administrative officials pushed hard on Leaman.

My complete guess is Leaman may have removed himself from consideration given the alumni backlash and instead resigned with PC.

Separately, with Pandolfo now hired at BU, they will go after Joe Pereira to take the associate job. Mike McMahon's newsletter last night:
"According to sources, UConn associate head coach and BU alum Joe Pereira is a strong favorite to fill out Pandolfo’s coaching staff if he gets the job."

I would not take that as a done deal. I've heard separately that Joe loves working at UConn and living in CT.

Reaction Score
Separately, with Pandolfo now hired at BU, they will go after Joe Pereira to take the associate job. Mike McMahon's newsletter last night:
"According to sources, UConn associate head coach and BU alum Joe Pereira is a strong favorite to fill out Pandolfo’s coaching staff if he gets the job."

I would not take that as a done deal. I've heard separately that Joe loves working at UConn and living in CT.

One has to wonder if Coach Cav was successful in jiggling some additional $$ for the Assistant Coach salary pool as part of the recent process.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
That BC job had a lot of internal strife. Alums were pushing HARD for Greg Brown but administrative officials pushed hard on Leaman.

My complete guess is Leaman may have removed himself from consideration given the alumni backlash and instead resigned with PC.

If Pereira leaves does that job go to Helton or does Cav look elsewhere? Helton has been with the program for four years. Joe certainly had a lot more experience before he was named as associate HC. Or does he bring in another assistant and just not name either as AHC yet?

Reaction Score

If Pereira leaves does that job go to Helton or does Cav look elsewhere? Helton has been with the program for four years. Joe certainly had a lot more experience before he was named as associate HC. Or does he bring in another assistant and just not name either as AHC yet?

Reaction Score
Greg Drechsel is the leading candidate to replace Pereira. He is a scout for Columbus and former assistant at Clarkson.

Reaction Score
So I have a very reliable source that I see a handful of times a year. Great ties to UConn Athletics - variety of sports, not just hockey. Finally got a chance to catch up the other day for the first time in a couple months.

The BC job was Cavanaugh's if he wanted it. Of course ultimately he decided to stay - although it was not an easy decision. Keep in mind his family is from Boston.

He obviously used the offer as ammo to fight for some kind of extra money for he and his staff. From what I hear though it was a bit of an arm wrestle to free up more cash from Benedict. How much more he got? That info I don't have.
If he wasn't able to loosen up enough for his staff, I wonder if that has anything to do with Pereira rumored to be moving back home. Perhaps he just wanted to return to his alma mater.

And no, my source is not a made up guy like we used to find on the Conference Realignment board (Big Ten Man?).

Reaction Score

Good comments and very intelligent take. Those were the only 2 it was ever gonna be. A proven head coach like Leaman who was closing in on 400 wins at 2 different D-1 schools but with no BC ties. Kinda like York, who was over 400 wins, before he came home and actually was a BC Alum.

Or Brown who played/coached at BC and in the NHL. Who was even teammates with 2 of CT's best ever while at BC ( Janney and Leetch) and on the US national team too. ;)

Also I'd hate to see Pereira go with his CT ties, as a player with HE pedigree and the young energy that's always good in your coaches and for recruiting. But if it's a done deal, I guess for most players, their home school roots trump it all, when they come calling.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I heard a few other specifics other than "it was Cav's if he wanted it" that makes me think my source isn't blowing smoke on this. I suppose anything is possible though if people want to create a good enough story.

I will leave it by saying this. If you don't think BC wasn't at the very least seriously interested in Cavanaugh, well you're wrong. York/BC didn't care what Cav's overall record was. I'd imagine the trend of the program overall and the fact they were a bounce of a puck away from pulling off a HE championship upset a month earlier also meant something to them when reaching out to Cavanaugh.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom