Jerry York Retires | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jerry York Retires

Reaction Score
I've heard separately as well that BC's #1 target was Cav. Don't know the specifics but I think it's clear he'd have the job there now if he wanted it.

Mike McMahon's newsletter this morning indicates Pereira to BU is close to a done deal. I've heard nothing from my connections within BU on that. But Mike indicated UConn is already reaching out to potential backfill candidates.

The newsletter goes on to cite Albie O'Connell as a potential replacement for Pereira at UConn. He's as good of a talent evaluator and recruiter as there is and also a fantastic person. Just don't let him coach Xs and Os and you'll have a strong addition to the program.

Reaction Score
I've heard separately as well that BC's #1 target was Cav. Don't know the specifics but I think it's clear he'd have the job there now if he wanted it.

Mike McMahon's newsletter this morning indicates Pereira to BU is close to a done deal. I've heard nothing from my connections within BU on that. But Mike indicated UConn is already reaching out to potential backfill candidates.

The newsletter goes on to cite Albie O'Connell as a potential replacement for Pereira at UConn. He's as good of a talent evaluator and recruiter as there is and also a fantastic person. Just don't let him coach Xs and Os and you'll have a strong addition to the program.
Well as you posted b4, I've heard from actual BC players and teammates, there was no way Cav was getting the BC job and that's exactly what happened. Just like I posted B4 Leaman was even mentioned(in tweets) in another thread. It was gonna be either a coach with a proven winning track record (Leaman ) or a BC player, coach and grad ( Brown). Despite what Connelly wrote and even he clarfied later there was no offer ever made to Cav.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Despite what Connelly wrote and even he clarfied later there was no offer ever made to Cav.
This is just semantics. If Cav wanted the job he wouldn't still be at UConn.

Reaction Score
This will go down as ultimately you believe who you want to. Myself, Brass Bonanza, that Strauss kid who has inside BC sources. We all heard things from different people that we trust who say Cavanaugh was the #1 target. I heard it from someone with UConn ties, they heard it from people in BC or BU or around the league. The Strauss kid admitted he jumped the gun with his "voracity" that it was a done deal, but still said he believes both sides were very close to a deal at one point. Brass said the kid has big time contacts within BC. So I can't imagine he's making it up for fun.

And for what it's worth, you can let someone know that they are a top candidate - perhaps THE candidate - during a face-to-face without making a formal offer. Hell it's the right thing to do if you aren't very certain that the candidate will say yes.

Now its possible all of our sources are wrong just as it is possible that your BC players didn't have the clout in the hiring process that they thought they had.

Lastly, I'm curious what it is your BC players are so turned off about with Cavanaugh where they would prefer Leaman over him. It wreaks of hypocricy in that they go on and on about how much BC blood means for the hire, and yet a guy who was a top assistant coach and recruiter at Chestnut Hill for 18 years and is coming off his own Hockey East championship is a non-starter?

I get people who post on this site who can go hot and cold on a guy during the ups and downs of a season (I've been guilty), but that's in part being a fan. There are some worse than me who won't post here when Cavanaugh/UConn do well because they don't Cavanaugh to succeed.

For BC players who don't follow the UConn program day in and day out - they dont have an ability to step back from a far and appreciate the totality of what he's done - especially recently - while recruiting kids with nothing more than a High School rink on campus and home games being played 40 minutes away?

It seems odd.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well as you posted b4, I've heard from actual BC players and teammates, there was no way Cav was getting the BC job and that's exactly what happened. Just like I posted B4 Leaman was even mentioned(in tweets) in another thread. It was gonna be either a coach with a proven winning track record (Leaman ) or a BC player, coach and grad ( Brown). Despite what Connelly wrote and even he clarfied later there was no offer ever made
My source is better than yours.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom