Jeff Jacobs: UConn basketball has hit rock bottom | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: UConn basketball has hit rock bottom

Reaction Score

One source indicated there has been some NCAA scrutiny recently on some potential workout violations involving a couple of UConn players, but it’s difficult to tell how much impact something like that could have.

What is a workout violation?

Reaction Score
One source indicated there has been some NCAA scrutiny recently on some potential workout violations involving a couple of UConn players, but it’s difficult to tell how much impact something like that could have.

One example: https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/20-Hour-Rule-Document.pdf

Another from Oregon:>> Allegation 6 charges that head men’s basketball coach Dana Altman failed to properly monitor his program when it was discovered that noncoaching staff members had conducted prohibited workouts with a handful of student-athletes and improperly participated in on-court activities (outlined in allegations 2 and 3). While we acknowledge the impermissible workout violation — one of the noncoaching staff members was suspended — the charge of head coach responsibility is not justified. We believe such a charge was intended for coaches who do not demonstrate a strong commitment to compliance and ethical stands, and this instance falls considerably short of the legislative intent and case precedent. The violation should be charged as an impermissible coaching activities infraction.<<

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
NCAA rules dictate that coaches aren't allowed to participate in player workouts at certain times throughout the year. They're also somewhat limited in terms of total time spent during the season.

Reaction Score

First thing I thought of...
DAEQgrIW0AEFap2.jpg

Reaction Score
DAEQgrIW0AEFap2.jpg

Perfect timing. Look who got caught for something of this variety today:

Two Kentucky basketball players were ruled temporarily ineligible after free training

The violation, dated Feb. 1, 2018, and obtained by Courier Journal through the state’s open records law, reveals two basketball players worked for free with former Louisville player Chris Brickley, a popular personal trainer for NBA stars, for two weeks during summer vacation. A member of the NCAA enforcement development staff emailed UK’s compliance office with links to online posts about the student-athletes working out with Brickley.

The names of the two players are redacted from UK’s self-reported violation, but the description of the violation notes both players live in the New York City metro area. Freshman forward Nick Richards and redshirt freshman guard Hamidou Diallo, the two players matching that description on UK’s roster, were shown working out with Brickley in Instagram posts from August, the timeframe the violation occurred, according to documents provided by UK.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
So Geno takes the men's job & receives a raise. A new Wbb coach steps in. Simple. How long before we make the tourney again Jeff?

Reaction Score
So what are players allowed and not allowed to do in the Summer? I assume they're expected to work out with someone including other players.

Reaction Score
DAEQgrIW0AEFap2.jpg
That was in N.Y. how can the university be responsible for that. Looks like a public gym as well. Didn’t mo and mo play aau or high school ball together. Anyway the real tragedy is the fact that we were hoodwinked for the second time following diallo. This picture had so much promise he was everything we needed. Bamba gives us 7 wins easy.

Reaction Score
Welp, he jinxed it. Its Jacobs fault when we go >.500 next year.

Reaction Score
LOL, as if we really need Jacobs to tell us that we hit rock bottom. Donkey

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
NCAA made just over $1B in revenue this year doesn’t change the fact they are an incredibly trash organization

Reaction Score
the Calhoun mention in the Jacobs article is interesting. I heard something two months ago that makes me think if Calhoun was asked to return he would be all over it.

Reaction Score
the Calhoun mention in the Jacobs article is interesting. I heard something two months ago that makes me think if Calhoun was asked to return he would be all over it.

It's such a pipedream and I'm not sure it makes sense.

Maybe it keeps the roster in place but then what? He's old and he isn't traveling the country to recruit and the travel demands of this conference don't help either.

It could be fun and would certainly bring fans back but I wouldn't count on it and I'm not convinced we would want it to happen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom