Jeff Jacobs: Ollie Will Fight, But Can He Get Better Leading Program? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs: Ollie Will Fight, But Can He Get Better Leading Program?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Question with zero snark. Do you?

I'm curious of the opinion of all naysayers.

I'm a middle of the road guy myself. Jury's out.

I think it's becoming evident that KO was/is in over his head in terms of running all aspects of an elite college basketball program. He did an excellent job in 2013-2014 molding guys who JC recruited, and who possessed the necessary toughness and attitude.

He has not done a good job bringing in the next generation of players. Some of that was hindered by JC's sanctions. Some of that was his own poor judgment in identifying and sealing the deal with the right players. In another thread I pointed out that during his tenure, he's had 6 top 50 recruits enter as freshmen. Only one of them (Adams, so far) would you label an unmitigated success. Several #50-100 players haven't panned out either, and the record on transfers is mixed. Player development has been good in some cases (most guards, DD, Giff), severely lacking or too slow in others (most bigs, Purvis).

In-game coaching has occasionally been brilliant (2014 Tournament), but since then has been mediocre. And, with the reports that have come out lately, managing his staff and locker room has been an issue.

In short, it's what you should have expected 5 years ago -- a guy with minimal experience learning on the job. Frankly, I think it was an insult to the program's history and a detriment to JC's own legacy that he forced upon us an unproven coach who it would take years to figure out how to run a program. That's not what elite programs do.

I don't know if KO can get us back to that level, or even one notch below. It's evident this offseason that whether through his own introspection or having Benedict in his ear, he is realizing his failures and changing. We don't know yet whether it's for the better, whether he can "get it" soon enough to save the program.

pj

Reaction Score
Oh national championships are won based on the faith of fans. That makes perfect sense.

Not what I said. KO, Shabazz, Boat, Niels, Deandre, Amida had to believe in one another and keep faith to give the 2014 championship a chance. Now, above all, we need faith from coaches and players and recruits. But a little faith from fans wouldn't hurt either.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
What have you seen over the past three seasons that causes you to be optimistic? I see an ever increasing mess quite honestly.
Really? I would have never guessed that
Time to get your protest sign and show up at KO's house

pj

Reaction Score
In short, it's what you should have expected 5 years ago -- a guy with minimal experience learning on the job. Frankly, I think it was an insult to the program's history and a detriment to JC's own legacy that he forced upon us an unproven coach who it would take years to figure out how to run a program. That's not what elite programs do.

OK, so now that he's learned on the job you must be delighted we have him. It's too bad JC insulted his own legacy that way, and too bad we had to go through the last 5 years with that inexperienced coach, that 2014 was a bummer. But now we can look forward to a next 5 years better than the first 5.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's no less ridiculous than claiming that the program's status is reliant on "fan expectations."

Listen if you think at this point you sound any different than the Diaco true believers you are wrong.

We get it - we don't deserve any better than where this program is. We can't hire a better coach. We can't expect to be better than 0-7 against tournament teams. We can't look sideways when we hear about love and family and the entire team disappears in the offseason.

I get it I'm crazy for thinking 6th place and sub .500 isn't acceptable. I'm just a spoiled jerk who should understand that 4 million dollars in coaching salaries doesn't mean you should be held to putting a competitive product on the floor.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't know if KO can get us back to that level, or even one notch below. It's evident this offseason that whether through his own introspection or having Benedict in his ear, he is realizing his failures and changing. We don't know yet whether it's for the better, whether he can "get it" soon enough to save the program.

Can we really expect that? I never did. I mean, JC is a once a century coach. You mention him in the same breath as Wooden, K, and the like. Noone will repeat those results.

Mostly fair post.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not what I said. KO, Shabazz, Boat, Niels, Deandre, Amida had to believe in one another and keep faith to give the 2014 championship a chance. Now, above all, we need faith from coaches and players and recruits. But a little faith from fans wouldn't hurt either.

Well if it's not what you said try reading what I wrote because I was talking about fans.

Reaction Score
Listen if you think at this point you sound any different than the Diaco true believers you are wrong.

We get it - we don't deserve any better than where this program is. We can't hire a better coach. We can't expect to be better than 0-7 against tournament teams. We can't look sideways when we hear about love and family and the entire team disappears in the offseason.

I get it I'm crazy for thinking 6th place and sub .500 isn't acceptable. I'm just a spoiled jerk who should understand that 4 million dollars in coaching salaries doesn't mean you should be held to putting a competitive product on the floor.
No your just wrong about diaco=ollie

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Precisely. Comparing KO to Diaco? Wash your goshdarn mouth out.

Reaction Score
OK, so now that he's learned on the job you must be delighted we have him. It's too bad JC insulted his own legacy that way, and too bad we had to go through the last 5 years with that inexperienced coach, that 2014 was a bummer. But now we can look forward to a next 5 years better than the first 5.

If you think a repeat of the last 5 years is going to lead to more championships down the line, I want what you're smoking.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Precisely. Comparing KO to Diaco? Wash your goshdarn mouth out.

Preaching love and family, while none of it is exhibited all while the program regresses.

Yeah it's crazy to compare the two. I don't have any idea where I have seen this before.

Reaction Score
We're a good sounding board for him. Even with all the weirdness that takes place here, we do represent the passionate fan. And what we express in these forums, rightly or wrongly, has to be representative of what the majority of "silent" fans are thinking.
Most don't have a clue of what goes on therefore any program that relies on message boards is bond for failure. Do message boards know what goes on in your job? Unlikely.

Reaction Score
Here's the key to KO's career:

Last month, Rodney Purvis tweeted out about "fake love." So did Jackson. It stemmed from a lyric by Drake, and while it was unclear if it was directed at Ollie, the term took on a life of its own among some fans and some around the program. ... I'm not buying for a minute that Ollie is a phony. Nevertheless, Ollie has to close out any notion of this with his players.

If KO truly loves his players and they are conscious of it, then no matter how tough and demanding a coach he is, they will love him back and everything will work. If they think he doesn't love them, then a demanding coach becomes tiresome, the players will get demoralized and look elsewhere. Ollie needs to make sure his actions live out his beliefs.

I think we have a great coach here, I really do. I'm looking forward to KO proving all the doubters here wrong.

Here's the thing. As good a person as I and most here believe KO to be, you can't just replicate the Jim Calhoun school of tough love. Nobody can name a dozen (and that is overly generous) college coaches who won, led and cared more about the game and the kids than JC. Did he "expedite" the departure of some under performers? Sure. Still, his former players as loyalists are legion and none was ever immune to his wrath both in practice and in game in front of 14,000 people.

Following a real, earned, legend such as Jim is a bitch I'm sure. KO was hand picked by Jim and what I find most concerning, in theory, is if their relationship has soured. I feel Jim has properly and effectively lowered his profile around the UConn program, so if KO is pushing him away that would be troubling and not at all understandable. Coach Calhoun may not be a Ferrari in the garage; but he's a Bentley to be polished and shown/used appropriately.

Reaction Score
Preaching love and family, while none of it is exhibited all while the program regresses.

Yeah it's crazy to compare the two. I don't have any idea where I have seen this before.
Whats your proof that none of it is exhibited. Provide facts please

Reaction Score
Let me be more specific, what have you actually witnessed in terms of success over the past three seasons that causes you to remain optimistic?

All the stuff you cited is great, but the results over the past seasons have been underwhelming to say the least, and next season is setting up to be an uphill battle as well.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
^^^^^^^^^THIS

And the thing is, I fully understand that Ollie's had an incredibly dissatisfying 3-year stretch. Valid criticism should be welcomed, and I've engaged positively with people who bring up real, tangible gripes they have with specific philosophies and actions of his.

I just think comparing him to Diaco is brain-damage level reasoning.

In Ollie's second year, he won a national championship. In Diaco's second year, the team flopped into the toilet bowl and got manhandled by a Conference USA team while making a backup OT playing tight end the centerpiece of our offensive gameplan.

It took KO two years to equal the highest postseason finish of his spectator's career. Not even Diaco's most ardent defenders thought he was the right guy to take UConn to a BCS bowl.

Reaction Score
Let me be more specific, what have you actually witnessed in terms of success over the past three seasons that causes you to remain optimistic?

All the stuff you cited is great, but the results over the past seasons have been underwhelming to say the least, and next season is setting up to be an uphill battle as well.
Thats your opinion about next season. My opinion is we will be fine next season. But thats only my opinion, ive been wrong before believe it or not lol

Reaction Score
And the thing is, I fully understand that Ollie's had an incredibly dissatisfying 3-year stretch. Valid criticism should be welcomed, and I've engaged positively with people who bring up real, tangible gripes they have with specific philosophies and actions of his.

I just think comparing him to Diaco is brain-damage level reasoning.

In Ollie's second year, he won a national championship. In Diaco's second year, the team flopped into the toilet bowl and got manhandled by a Conference USA team while making a backup OT playing tight end the centerpiece of our offensive gameplan.

It took KO two years to equal the highest postseason finish of his spectator's career. Not even Diaco's most ardent defenders thought he was the right guy to take UConn to a BCS bowl.
Agree 100%

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whats your proof that none of it is exhibited. Provide facts please

This is such a silly request I'm struggling to take it seriously.

The first clue this isn't much of a family may have been half the team leaving and then having the loyalists make vague comments on twitter and instagram confirming it.

I've got news for you, if this was a 'family' this year then AD David Benedict should move on today - because your best argument for Kevin is the one he is making. That the problem was the players who left - not him.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

You know very well that several convenient similarities are far outweighed by a mountain of differences in competence, track record, reputation within the profession, etc. between the two. But why not stir the pot on a quiet Sunday night?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
and then having the loyalists make vague comments on twitter and instagram confirming it.

This is a steaming pile of horse manure. It's not our fault you haven't figured out how to overcome confirmation bias.

Reaction Score
This is such a silly request I'm struggling to take it seriously.

The first clue this isn't much of a family may have been half the team leaving and then having the loyalists make vague comments on twitter and instagram confirming it.

I've got news for you, if this was a 'family' this year then AD David Benedict should move on today - because you best argument for Kevin is the one he is making. That the problem was the players who left - not him.
Here you go sensationalizing again.
1.) Half the team didnt leave. 3 players did.
2.) The players remaining have shown no evidence of them having a rift with Ollie. They all seem to like him.
3.) Even the ones that left, left saying ollie was a great guy.
4.) Purvis is quoted on instagram live as calling Ollie a father figure to him(anyone who was in that live please confirm)
5.) You have ZERO ZERO proof that any of the players dont "like" ollie. Its all baseless speculation.

Your response was silly as it provided no proof. In society today you can just make things up with 0 evidence and it be excepted. So ill try again. Evidence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom