Jeff Goodman in Storrs | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Jeff Goodman in Storrs

Reaction Score
This team is one of those teams that needs a floor General who is a alpha.
We have 2 unknown new pieces at the point. Jackson is not a point.

I would like to believe all of us faithful fans who have been following this team for a long time know how essential a true point guard is to success.

I don’t think we have one. I pray I’m wrong but I don’t see it. And stop with the Jackson BS

Goodman saying we need 35 from Hawk and Adama says all ya need to know. Plus Hurley keeping the local media away from practice is not a good sign.

Reaction Score

I would like to believe all of us faithful fans who have been following this team for a long time know how essential a true point guard is to success.

I don’t think we have one. I pray I’m wrong but I don’t see it. And stop with the Jackson BS
I agree. If Jackson is our best option at the point we could be in trouble unless he absolutely balls out and surprises us all.

Reaction Score

Goodman saying we need 35 from Hawk and Adama says all ya need to know. Plus Hurley keeping the local media away from practice is not a good sign.

If this were a bit it would be a great post. It's like a murderers row of perennial ridiculousness. Almost too on the nose.

(Keeping the local media away from practice but allowing the national media to attend seems to be problematic for one of the dumber implications you're making.)

Reaction Score

Oh good grief

Reaction Score
Jackson has the best court vision on the team, has an adequate handle, and a willing passer. Sounds like the traits of someone who could run the point to me.

I would certainly like to see him cleanup the careless turnovers caused by some of his passes but I expect that to tighten up this year.

It’s asinine that people think this means the team will struggle if he needs to play at the point. You put the ball in the hands of your best playmakers and he is one of them, period.

Reaction Score
I can no longer tell the difference between people doing bits and people being sincere.
Joining Welcome Home GIF

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
On Hawkins, this is the same kid that put up 16 in 16 minutes on one of the best teams in the country. My thoughts are well known on how Hurley handled him, but he has all the ability to be one of the best scorers in the league with the extra responsibility. I would not be surprised to see him put up 15 to 17 and becoming a lottery pick.

I was hoping to hear more about how AJ was doing from Goodman.

We should have more than enough ball handlers this year compared to last year.

Reaction Score
Jackson has the best court vision on the team, has an adequate handle, and a willing passer. Sounds like the traits of someone who could run the point to me.

I would certainly like to see him cleanup the careless turnovers caused by some of his passes but I expect that to tighten up this year.

It’s asinine that people think this means the team will struggle if he needs to play at the point. You put the ball in the hands of your best playmakers and he is one of them, period.
I also got on Jackson about his turnovers but he already cleaned that up towards the second half of last season.

And this year the roster top to bottom will have better finishers who can keep up with Jackson when he's seeing the play two steps ahead and passes to give people a chance to score.

Last year some of his best reads and passes, his teammates weren't skilled enough to make a play.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If this were a bit it would be a great post. It's like a murderers row of perennial ridiculousness. Almost too on the nose.

(Keeping the local media away from practice but allowing the national media to attend seems to be problematic for one of the dumber implications you're making.)
Really? I would’ve thought you would’ve considered it a huge concern.

pj

Reaction Score
Hawkins and Sanogo getting to 35 probably depends more on tempo than anything else. If we play fast, they'll do it.

Newton is going to be an excellent point guard. It may take until March to build chemistry with the team, but I believe in him. He'll make his case to the NBA before all is said and done.

Who's gonna step up as the fifth starter is what I'm curious about. Or will we mix and match Samson, Karaban, and Nahiem? Will Richie Springs play? What of the Israeli and Greek additions? The interesting part of the season will be the #5-#8 players in the rotation. The top four players are really gifted.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Hawkins and Sanogo getting to 35 probably depends more on tempo than anything else. If we play fast, they'll do it.

Newton is going to be an excellent point guard. It may take until March to build chemistry with the team, but I believe in him. He'll make his case to the NBA before all is said and done.

Who's gonna step up as the fifth starter is what I'm curious about. Or will we mix and match Samson, Karaban, and Nahiem? Will Richie Springs play? What of the Israeli and Greek additions? The interesting part of the season will be the #5-#8 players in the rotation. The top four players are really gifted.
I expect Karaban to be a stud. His high school pedigree (27 pts/game in NEPSAC, 19 pts/game in Peach Jam) signify to me he will have an immediate impact.

Reaction Score
Our last point guard transferred from Howard. I don’t think the jump will be as big from ECU, regardless of the RS year.
I'm aware and he had a full season to practice with the team before taking over the point guard duties. Big East season 2 Cole was first team All-Big East, he was solid year 1 but there were warts and things he had to figure out.

Fingers crossed Newton is ready to run things day 1 but it usually takes some time.

Reaction Score

This is a very good point, notice who was at practice this week. When I wanted a fluff piece about some disappointing players I'd definitely go to noted UConn hater Jeff Goodman

Reaction Score
I'm aware and he had a full season to practice with the team before taking over the point guard duties. Big East season 2 Cole was first team All-Big East, he was solid year 1 but there were warts and things he had to figure out.

Fingers crossed Newton is ready to run things day 1 but it usually takes some time.
The things Cole needed to figure out were pace, floor spacing and finishing at the rim due to his size.

Newton was playing in the AAC which is a level up in competition and doesn't have to adjust for his size.

Reaction Score

I don't expect nor should anyone expect Newton to be a 1:1 replacement of Cole. It's unlikely to happen given the step up in league and given Dauster said on his pod today the staff isn't seeing him stand out like that (paraphrasing i dont recall exact wording) so I wouldn't bank on it.

Fortunately, he doesn't have to because the roster is deeper and better constructed. For how good Cole was, he was a liability defensively due his size and his efficiency was just OK but not great given the outsized role he had to play and he could never be on the bench for more than a few min at a time.

If Newton can be a double digit scorer (10-12 points), 4-5 assists, and do so efficiently (35+% from 3), a year older Jackson and Hawkins plus the army of other talented guards like Nahiem and Hassan (who Dauster and Horde have said is standing out in practice) can fill in the rest.

Cole was a great player and should have had an even better season, but unfortunately he could never sit for more than 5 min a game and was the only guy that could break down a defender. That isn't the case anymore so no one has to be RJ Cole, but the team has the talent to be better even without one through no fault of RJ's just given the circumstances he had to operate under.

Reaction Score
Fortunately, he doesn't have to because the roster is deeper and better constructed. For how good Cole was, he was a liability defensively due his size and his efficiency was just OK but not great given the outsized role he had to play and he could never be on the bench for more than a few min at a time
Cole was a great player and should have had an even better season, but unfortunately he could never sit for more than 5 min a game and was the only guy that could break down a defender. That isn't the case anymore so no one has to be RJ Cole, but the team has the talent to be better even without one through no fault of RJ's just given the circumstances he had to operate under.
Just want to clarify this point. Cole had an elite efficiency for his usage. Yes, his efficiency probably would have been higher if he had a smaller role, but somebody has to use possessions and usually teams have at least 1 guy in this range. Cole was more efficient than almost all of them.

There were 458 guys with a usage% above 24 last season. Cole was one of 33 with an offensive rating above 115 (93% percentile). There were 49 guys with a usage between 24 and 26 in high major conferences (his closest peers), 6 had ORTG above 115.

That list:
Oscar Tshiebwe (1st team All-SEC)
Armando Bacot (1st team All-ACC)
Paul Atkinson (Honorable mention All-ACC)
RJ Cole
Kris Murray (Almanac has him #32 for 2023 top 100 players)
Bryson Williams (1st team All-Big12)

If you expand to 113+ ORTG and 23-27 usage, here are all the rest of the names (nobody left out, no cherry picking):
Pete Nance (Almanac #2 transfer 2023, #38 top 100 players).
Josh Carlton (1st team All-ACC)
Trayce Jackson-Davis (2nd team All-B1G)
Posh Alexander (Honorable mention All-Big East)
Ochai Agbaji (1st team All-Big 12)
Malaki Branham (Big 10 Freshman of the Year, 20th pick NBA draft)
Benedict Mathurin (1st team All-Pac 12)
Jaime Jaquez (1st team All-Pac 12)
Nijel Pack (1st team All-Big 12)
Keve Aluma (2nd team All-ACC)
Hunter Dickinson (2nd team All-B1G)

This is absolutely elite company as far as his usage and efficiency combination. There's a reason he was 1st team all-conference BE and 33rd in PORPAGATU.

Reaction Score

It’s not at all asinine. He does have great vision and can make plays there’s little doubt about that. He also was wildly out of control when he should have slowed down at times. Lots of bad decisions in the open court, sometimes tried to be too pretty rather than just making the play. He’s more of the open court PG than the “let’s set up in half court and run some stuff.” Can he be, maybe after all he can get from defensive rebound to the other end in no time. But let’s hope we don’t need to worry about him being our actual PG as we have plenty of other answers which will allow him to be the point forward we expect.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom