Jeff Goodman in Storrs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jeff Goodman in Storrs

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There have been a range of opinions here so far having him play 5 minutes a game to 20 and strength probably determines that in the BE. The video posted here showed a skinny looking guy but maybe he's stronger than he appears. We'll soon know.
I'm not too worried about his strength. He's about the same weight per inch as Kalkbrenner. Probably a bit bigger than Nunge. I expect his main role is to play against some of those 7 foot guys. I doubt he sees the floor vs Villanova or some of the small ball teams, barring injury to Adama. My concern with him is defense and footspeed.

Reaction Score
The question is NOT skinny or fat.

The question is strong or weak.

This skinny guy is strong and very, very good.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 11.53.14.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 11.53.14.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 107
Reaction Score
Two 17-18ppg scorers on the roster seems unlikely. Sanogo may do it... Expecting that kind of production from Hawkins seems like wishful thinking. 12ppg on effecient numbers would be an amazing season from him.

Gotta expect 8-10ppg from Andre. Newton should hit double digits. Alleyne and Diarra will be in the 5-10ppg game again (hopefully).

That's about 60ppg from 6 guys. Add in whatever Clingan, Johnson, Karaban, maybe Calcaterra can add, and I think we have a decent (but probably not great) offense.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
No way Sanogo and Hawkins average 35, right?

Hard to see. But it's possible. I don't think Sanogo will have much trouble holding up his end of that, but Hawkins averaging 15-20 a game is a huge leap forward. Has the ability/tools to do so for sure, but that doesn't always translate immediately to that type of production. It would be a huge breakout year for him if he did. Bouk averaged 13 his frosh season and 19 in year two. It is a lofty expectation in my opinion for Hawkins to go from 6 his frosh to 18-19.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Has the ability/tools to do so for sure, but that doesn't always translate immediately to that type of production. .
Agreed. If he's going to have so much responsibility, he's going to need to leave the sulking behind and just worry about the next play. That's the leap I want to see from him. Just play team ball.

Reaction Score
There have been a range of opinions here so far having him play 5 minutes a game to 20 and strength probably determines that in the BE. The video posted here showed a skinny looking guy but maybe he's stronger than he appears. We'll soon know.

When's the last time you've been to the eye doctor? Seriously, Clingan looks anything but skinny in that video posted in this thread. Looks like he's in shape.

#concerns

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not to give the "Clingan is too skinny" argument more credit than it deserves but comparing a 2 guard to a center is useless.

Useless comparisons are basically the purpose of this board.

Reactions: THC

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
we've had our share of skinny dudes. I wouldn't put him in that category.
At least 5 Brimah Units. Sanogo at least 7 Brimah units.

Reaction Score
Even more worrisome is Goodman's use of the word "needs" in his description of the 35 points Hawkins and Sanogo must score. As one who has purportedly watched a practice, apparently he's not too high on the rest of the team.

I truly think Newton can and will average more than Hawkins. I see 40-45 PPG between the 3, kind of like RJ/Adama/Tyrese last year

Reaction Score
I truly think Newton can and will average more than Hawkins. I see 40-45 PPG between the 3, kind of like RJ/Adama/Tyrese last year
I agree with you. I am not really worried about scoring...just carrying on the "concerning" theme. The team has way more viable shooting options than last year.

Reaction Score
The wild hot takes and overreading into 10-second clips that comes with the first few glimpses of practice is an annual tradition.

Damn it's good to be back!
It's all there was for chrisskes! Lots of guessing at this point, but it's like this every year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Even more worrisome is Goodman's use of the word "needs" in his description of the 35 points Hawkins and Sanogo must score. As one who has purportedly watched a practice, apparently he's not too high on the rest of the team.
Anyone else remembering Kremlinology?

Reaction Score
That tweet is not going over big with the yard if the "no point guard thread" is any indication. Kinda makes me wish I started it.
I think we all know point guard is the biggest concern. Newton had really good numbers last year for a really bad team, he might be a very good point guard for UConn but it's his first year in a new system at a higher level. Andre Jackson has great vision and can feed the post and lead the break but I'm not at all ready to believe he can run the team and manage the entire game. Diarra is a nice gritty back up point. There's pieces all over the court but they'll need someone to stir the drink. Despite his lack of size and athleticism RJ was a really good floor general for us.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'd venture to say he dunks more than getting his shot blocked. He's gonna have 4-6 inches on most players guarding him.
I agree. I think the bigger question is whether more mature guys will be able to push him off the low block. Despite his youth though, I feel like he’s going to hold his own pretty well. I look forward to finding out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom