Jeff Goodman at practice today | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jeff Goodman at practice today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm hoping the collection of new guys are good enough to cut into Rodney's PT. I'm hoping Brimah's PT gets cut as well. For that matter, include Facey in that group too. I know who they are and I doubt they change all that much. They are ok players. They will win us some games. They will probably lose us some games as well.

If the younger guys develop and send Purv, Brimah and Facey to the bench....oh well. They won't be on the bench because they're getting worse. They will be on the bench because the others are better.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping the collection of new guys are good enough to cut into Rodney's PT. I'm hoping Brimah's PT gets cut as well. For that matter, include Facey in that group too. I know who they are and I doubt they change all that much. They are ok players. They will win us some games. They will probably lose us some games as well.

If the younger guys develop and send Purv, Brimah and Facey to the bench....oh well. They won't be on the bench because they're getting worse. They will be on the bench because the others are better.
This pains me to say it but I agree with you. These guys work hard, have solid skills and are true Huskies. I respect everything they have done for this program and they are all great ambassadors to be wearing UConn on their chest. However the past 2 years with them as the "core" of the team hasn't been the best. They have shown flashes but both seasons have ended in mediocracy. All three have skills but are limited in their play. Unless somehow they take the next step and put it together, which I doubt will happen on their fourth season, we pretty much know what we're getting: a great offensive rebounder with limited offense, an excellent shot-blocker with timing issues on his rebounds and defense that lead to fouls, and a bull of a guard with a solid shot who just can't seem to harness his speed. I feel the ceiling is much higher with this new group of guys since they are all so much younger and I'd love to see them come in and challenge the vets for roster spots. Just hope this wouldn't cause chemistry issues.

Reaction Score

While I understand where you are going with this, the reality is for both Facey and Brimah to show us they learned something over their first 3 years. Really the size and athleticism is needed along with improvement. It's hard to ask these younsgsters to come in and give all that much, especially in a consistent manner. We will see some of the future at times but we also will see why the are freshman. I hope the mesh well and earn some critical minutes no doubt but can't ask too much from the Diarra's, Vital's, Jackson's and maybe even Durham due to the physical stuff. Enoch is the one who can really surprise and take a few minutes from each of those guys, but we know he has a ways to go. As far as the frosh I think we will see a lot of Alterique he's going to be hard to keep off the floor, too dynamic. Not sure who can dig into Rodney's time and here's another guy I'd prefer to hope he improves where he needed to a and keeps his time and maybe more.

Reaction Score
Bilas mentioned during the broadcast of one of the games during the Battle 4 Atlantis that he thought our best pro prospect on the squad last year was Enoch as well.

Reaction Score

So I guess the days of breakout senior leadership are gone?

I mean, we've seen Hilton Armstrong do it, AJ Price did it, Jerome Dyson, and Boatright's shooting improved 100%.

Reaction Score

I mean, we've seen Hilton Armstrong do it, AJ Price did it, Jerome Dyson, and Boatright's shooting improved 100%.

Not disagreeing with the larger point, but Price and Dyson are strange examples as one could make the argument that both were better as juniors.

The point on Purvis, Brimah, and Facey isn't entirely unfair, but they're all - the former two especially - good players who happen to be extremely frustrating at time. So while perhaps it's true that we won't win a title with them as our best players, we're certainly not going to accomplish anything without them on the court.

Reaction Score

AJP became a leader during his junior year, what did Dyson lead during his senior year?

Reaction Score

Our best teams have had senior leadership. If the young guys send Brimah and Purvis to the bench, we are looking at a quick out in the tourney. We need the seniors to step up, lead, and be major contributors.

Reaction Score
AJP became a leader during his junior year, what did Dyson lead during his senior year?

I thought he had a very Rodney-like build-up, and then 2009 was Dyson's year, no? Until the ACL?

AJ was the lead PG in 2008, but he took his game to a whole new level in 2009. He was not nearly the offensive force in 2008 that he was in 2009. In parts of 2009, he was unstoppable.

Reaction Score
Not disagreeing with the larger point, but Price and Dyson are strange examples as one could make the argument that both were better as juniors.

The point on Purvis, Brimah, and Facey isn't entirely unfair, but they're all - the former two especially - good players who happen to be extremely frustrating at time. So while perhaps it's true that we won't win a title with them as our best players, we're certainly not going to accomplish anything without them on the court.

Maybe Dyson, but I totally disagree with that on Price. I thought he took a major step up in his game senior year, especially his shot. Night and day difference.

Reaction Score
The foul situation dictates PT as much as effectiveness for the bigs. Against non cupcakes Brimah and Enoch are going to foul, but let's hope it's not the silly ones out on the perimeter when setting screens.

Reaction Score
I thought he had a very Rodney-like build-up, and then 2009 was Dyson's year, no? Until the ACL?

AJ was the lead PG in 2008, but he took his game to a whole new level in 2009. He was not nearly the offensive force in 2008 that he was in 2009. In parts of 2009, he was unstoppable.

I have no idea what a Rodney like build-up means because he(Rodney) hasn't accomplished much yet. 2008 AJP was clearly the best player, 2009 was more balanced as far as best player on the team since he was inconcistent following the ACL tear and then played better in the 2nd half of the year when Dyson had a meniscus tear, you could make arguments for AJP/Hasheem/Adrien during different stretches. Dyson's senior year was the 2009-2010 when the team figured out every way imaginable to lose close games, Dyson had a great start to the season statistically but tailed off down the stretch, he didn't lead that team to anything.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what a Rodney like build-up means because he(Rodney) hasn't accomplished much yet. 2008 AJP was clearly the best player, 2009 was more balanced as far as best player on the team since he was inconcistent following the ACL tear and then played better in the 2nd half of the year when Dyson had a meniscus tear, you could make arguments for AJP/Hasheem/Adrien during different stretches. Dyson's senior year was the 2009-2010 when the team figured out every way imaginable to lose close games, Dyson had a great start to the season statistically but tailed off down the stretch, he didn't lead that team to anything.

Rodney lead the team in scoring--but has been inconsistent in his game. AJ's junior year seemed very Rodney-ish. AJ came on at the end of his junior year, just as Rodney came on in his. In AJ's senior year, he shot better than he ever did before.

I'm talking about actual performance, by the way. Not leadership. The original poster didn't mention leadership as the key factor of discussion, but their actual play.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Mau with all respect the way we use Brimah as a shot blocker and a person responsible for missed assignments make it very difficult for him to be a defensive rebounder.
If our perimeter is lock down then not using him in the Libero role increases the rebounding but otherwise he is disadvantaged . (Sorry I'm an old soccer coach)
That's why I think 5-6 primarily offensive rebounds will be great. I think he can be a put back Force.
On defense his ability to take an Opposing player out of the play ( block out) will be huge
He has improved in this category but must get better.
If I was coaching against UConn Brimah is the only UConn player that makes me adjust my offensive game plan ,that is something I suspect we will miss.
Unless I'm missing something about Brimah's role as shot blocker, haven't most, if not all, of our previous great/very good shot blockers been good rebounders as well?

Reaction Score
Rodney lead the team in scoring--but has been inconsistent in his game. AJ's junior year seemed very Rodney-ish. AJ came on at the end of his junior year, just as Rodney came on in his. In AJ's senior year, he shot better than he ever did before.

I'm talking about actual performance, by the way. Not leadership. The original poster didn't mention leadership as the key factor of discussion, but their actual play.

Yea there's no way I agree at all with putting AJ's junior year with Rodney, not even close. AJ was unanimous First Team All Big East and made the 2nd team of the US Basketball Writer's Association All America Team, Rodney didn't even make any AAC teams. AJ's numbers for his junior and senior years are damn near identical, he just shot better from 3 his senior year. Performance, leadership, actually playing well in big games and not just putting up numbers when behind by double digits, Rodney is not on AJ's level.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

And I'll argue that UConn improved late last year at the same time Rodney asserted a leadership role on the team. It became his team, and we became better. His leadership qualities are off the charts, and UConn was hurt, I think, as he deferred to senior Gibbs.

I expect this team to be Rodney's team from start to finish. I don't think his time will diminish, nor should it, it should increase with the loss of Gibbs. Gilbert will get time, but at both guard spots. I expect Purvis to lead the team in scoring, improve his finishing on drives and generally be our best player.

Reaction Score
One of the things I admire about Kevin Ollie - and it comes from his Pro background - is finding a role for many of the non star players. He seems to put their skill set in boxes and say - focus. Rodney Purvis primary issue, IMHO, is he did not have a set mindset as to what he needed to do to help UConn win. He is classically the great athletic SG (without the 100% shot) who just has physical advantages over most all the guys he plays. Defensively, he has often been lost or without scheme as to what he needed. The light seemed to go on late last year (and occasionally before) as he got more comfortable going to the hoop; playing a disruptive role in forcing his man to beat him; and making FTs with regularity. I don't think - and I felt this from early - he is a NBA player (and having said that, he might find his way to a roster). As an athlete, he is a Ferrari. He can be a superlative UConn senior leading this team and not getting on Preseason All Conference is both wrong on the writers/coaches who voted and great motivator for him. This kid can play and score 12 or so; lead by attitude. Ollie did work him to where some of the excess he had in his game has disappeared.

Reaction Score
Yea there's no way I agree at all with putting AJ's junior year with Rodney, not even close. AJ was unanimous First Team All Big East and made the 2nd team of the US Basketball Writer's Association All America Team, Rodney didn't even make any AAC teams. AJ's numbers for his junior and senior years are damn near identical, he just shot better from 3 his senior year. Performance, leadership, actually playing well in big games and not just putting up numbers when behind by double digits, Rodney is not on AJ's level.

I didn't say Rodney was at AJ's level.

I mean, we're confusing things here. I thought AJ took over games and was one of the hottest UConn players ever. I rate him very very highly. BUT--I think AJ made a huge leap between those two years, mainly because he was an unstoppable shooter. He was clearly the best PG in the league--both years. But he added a huge element to his game in his senior year. This is what I'm referencing: IMPROVEMENT. It can happen for seniors. That is the only point I'm making.

Reaction Score
Rodney is no AJ but man you are tough on him.

Reaction Score
I didn't say Rodney was at AJ's level.

I mean, we're confusing things here. I thought AJ took over games and was one of the hottest UConn players ever. I rate him very very highly. BUT--I think AJ made a huge leap between those two years, mainly because he was an unstoppable shooter. He was clearly the best PG in the league--both years. But he added a huge element to his game in his senior year. This is what I'm referencing: IMPROVEMENT. It can happen for seniors. That is the only point I'm making.
I interpreted you saying AJ's junior year as being "Rodney-ish" as being on similar levels, AJ's junior year wasn't Rodney-ish, it was just simply better. I don't really see where AJ took this major leap, he became a better 3 point shooter because he said thats all he was able to work on during the initial stages of his ACL recovery, but he also became much more reliant on his jumper and didn't drive as much post-ACL injury. His 3ball % went up from 37% to 40%, but his overall FG% declined from 44% to 41%. The overall numbers between both years are very similar.

A.J. Price Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

Reaction Score
I interpreted you saying AJ's junior year as being "Rodney-ish" as being on similar levels, AJ's junior year wasn't Rodney-ish, it was just simply better. I don't really see where AJ took this major leap, he became a better 3 point shooter because he said thats all he was able to work on during the initial stages of his ACL recovery, but he also became much more reliant on his jumper and didn't drive as much post-ACL injury. His 3ball % went up from 37% to 40%, but his overall FG% declined from 44% to 41%. The overall numbers between both years are very similar.

A.J. Price Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

Look at the volume though, 140 to 200 and & from 36% to 40%.

Also higher volume of 2 point shots.

He carried the team for much of it.

Reaction Score
Rodney is no AJ but man you are tough on him.

I can't front, I'm really not the biggest fan of him as a player, I don't get all the griping from folks about him not making this preseason team or that preseason list when the same has been done on here the past 2 years and at the end of the season his play has validated his exclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom