Jeff Goodman at practice today | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jeff Goodman at practice today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Enoch simply couldn't defend at all last year.
KO would literally have to constantly yell where to be on the floor on defense. For full possessions. Positionally he was lost.

His offensive game is very, very promising but if you can't defend you don't play for Calhoun or Ollie.

I look forward to watching him improve. Hes got a ton of potential.

That's 100% true. But it's also 100% true that he's our best NBA prospect. I'm surprised anyone disagrees with that assertion, especially after seeing him at First Night. He clearly has the height, body, and physical skill for the NBA.

His basketball mind has to catch up with his physical tools. Before his freshman year, those who had seen him play told us that would be the case. Let's hope that catching up happens this year.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with it, but I was just noting that he was described as one of our best NBA prospects and under-the-radar last year as well. So it shouldn't be super surprising.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with it, but I was just noting that he was described as one of our best NBA prospects and under-the-radar last year as well. So it shouldn't be super surprising.

I don't disagree, and it was true last year too. It's just a function of when he all puts it together.

C

Chief00

He's always been my breakout guy. Only big guy on the team with an NBA build. If he figures out team defense he will play a ton. He could be a force down the road.

I have only seen one practice this year but Enoch seems more explosive - don't want to overstate it but if he can be explosive consistently - he will have improved greatly. Given his body and good hands to me he has always had more upside than Facey but he will be improved too.
Larrier - I still can't really figure out his role - and that's a big question because it impacts playing time for others. Jackson or Vitale could supply the shooter role. Jackson intrigues due to his length but Vitale has moxy I think.

Reaction Score
There are a TON of NBA players these days, big men especially, who I don't remember seeing play in college. The reason? Those players have NBA caliber bodies but take time to develop. Enoch may be in the same boat. He could decide to leave early after 2/3 years, not because he's an AAC all conference player, but simply because NBA scouts say he is what an NBA team is looking for. Enoch may just take a few years more to develop than what we want out of him at UConn, but he does have the body and tools NBA scouts look for.

Reaction Score
There are a TON of NBA players these days, big men especially, who I don't remember seeing play in college. The reason? Those players have NBA caliber bodies but take time to develop. Enoch may be in the same boat. He could decide to leave early after 2/3 years, not because he's an AAC all conference player, but simply because NBA scouts say he is what an NBA team is looking for. Enoch may just take a few years more to develop than what we want out of him at UConn, but he does have the body and tools NBA scouts look for.
We forget that Enoch was only 17 or a young 18 when the season started last year. He will break out sooner than latter but sooner would be better. If he can improve his D we are going to have a stud on our hands.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Enoch simply couldn't defend at all last year.
KO would literally have to constantly yell where to be on the floor on defense. For full possessions. Positionally he was lost.

His offensive game is very, very promising but if you can't defend you don't play for Calhoun or Ollie.

I look forward to watching him improve. Hes got a ton of potential.

Agreed with this 100%. He had very poor lateral movement and wasn't sure where he was supposed to be on the floor. That being said, when we faced opposing big men that could muscle Brimah and our other bigs down low, Enoch was able to hold his ground and play great defense. Once he anchors, you can't move him.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We forget that Enoch was only 17 or a young 18 when the season started last year. He will break out sooner than latter but sooner would be better. If he can improve his D we are going to have a stud on our hands.
That and rebound

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Agreed with this 100%. He had very poor lateral movement and wasn't sure where he was supposed to be on the floor. That being said, when we faced opposing big men that could muscle Brimah and our other bigs down low, Enoch was able to hold his ground and play great defense. Once he anchors, you can't move him.
And offensively when he got the ball down low with his back to the basket he had a nice post move and jump hook. Look confident most of the time

Reaction Score
As I've said before, Enoch is actually nearly two years younger than Jalen. Even if he stays until junior year, scouts will salivate over him being a younger (ish)?prospect.

He looked slow on defense because of his lack of awareness; I think we will start to see the athleticism people have been raving about if mentally he can get in the right place. If he can't, he won't have a future in this game. If he can, potential to be an NBA player for a long time. There aren't too many 6'11 255lb guys with his athleticism and a 7'3 wingspan, who can shoot, and have a hook shot with each hand in their offensive arsenal.

Reaction Score
Love this post. So great to start to hear about what's going on with the guys on the court. We should have a very fun team to watch. Per UConn hoops, our team will go as our defense goes. Hope someone can fill Daniel's shoes on the boards.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I'll take 5-6 boards and 2-3 blocks per game from Brimah... along with 8-10 points per game... that would be a legit line from him

Agree for the most part but that just brings you back to his soph year stats. With as many times as the ball is coming towards him on a rebound and the one's he gets his hand(s) on it's not too much to ask for 8-9 rebounds a game. He should be able to achieve that in his 4th year and we should expect he can.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'll take 5-6 boards and 2-3 blocks per game from Brimah... along with 8-10 points per game... that would be a legit line from him

That depends on his minutes. If he is playing half the game...fine. But if he's playing more than that, he needs to do more, especially rebounding.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, all I am looking from Brimah is some shot blocking and shot intimidation. Add in some lob pass dunks. That's it.

Reaction Score
Agree for the most part but that just brings you back to his soph year stats. With as many times as the ball is coming towards him on a rebound and the one's he gets his hand(s) on it's not too much to ask for 8-9 rebounds a game. He should be able to achieve that in his 4th year and we should expect he can.
Mau with all respect the way we use Brimah as a shot blocker and a person responsible for missed assignments make it very difficult for him to be a defensive rebounder.
If our perimeter is lock down then not using him in the Libero role increases the rebounding but otherwise he is disadvantaged . (Sorry I'm an old soccer coach)
That's why I think 5-6 primarily offensive rebounds will be great. I think he can be a put back Force.
On defense his ability to take an Opposing player out of the play ( block out) will be huge
He has improved in this category but must get better.
If I was coaching against UConn Brimah is the only UConn player that makes me adjust my offensive game plan ,that is something I suspect we will miss.

Reaction Score
By all accounts Gilbert may be that guy soon too, he supposedly gets after it on D. I love our guards who get up into the other team.
We'll need this right from the get-go if they are going to contain Jawun Evans and Phil Forte of OKSt. Evans is lightning, and Forte is a deadly shooter that I believe got his license when Gilbert was getting pottytrained.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
And he needs all the practice he can get.

Reaction Score
Mau with all respect the way we use Brimah as a shot blocker and a person responsible for missed assignments make it very difficult for him to be a defensive rebounder.
If our perimeter is lock down then not using him in the Libero role increases the rebounding but otherwise he is disadvantaged . (Sorry I'm an old soccer coach)
That's why I think 5-6 primarily offensive rebounds will be great. I think he can be a put back Force.
On defense his ability to take an Opposing player out of the play ( block out) will be huge
He has improved in this category but must get better.
If I was coaching against UConn Brimah is the only UConn player that makes me adjust my offensive game plan ,that is something I suspect we will miss.

Agree to disagree. And despite the blocks there's not much to change on O for the other guys, I've seen smallish guys make shots in his face so you need to go at any shot blocker including AB. This is not Thabeet where he made people get a rebound and dribble it back out to the perimeter knowing they have no shot. And despite his ability to block shots he is consistently in position to get the defensive rebound, just doesn't come up with them. sometimes it's not getting off the floor, others its getting bodied and others are just not good enough hands. He should be able to get 5 on the D end and 3 on the O end at worst. If he does along with 3 blocks our guys are better immediately. Don't care about his offense at that point he will have earned his time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom