JC Retirement Gift Commitment To Date: $10,826* ** | The Boneyard

JC Retirement Gift Commitment To Date: $10,826* **

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
If you don't get a PM from me indicating it was recorded, I missed it so let me know.

Reply in the other thread as I will have to delete and recreate this daily (can't edit titles).

Apparently I can edit the title - feel free to comment here if you wish.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
If you don't get a PM from me indicating it was recorded, I missed it so let me know.

Reply in the other thread as I will have to delete and recreate this daily (can't edit titles).

You can edit the title. Click the edit link in thread view.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Remember - I haven't included you money in the total if you don't receive a PM from me indicating it was recorded.

Several people have asked the question so let me address it here. I am just being a book keeper to see how much people are willing to donate. "I'm in" just doesn't mean anything in terms of planning what can be done. I do not intend to be the person that collects the money. I'll leave that to the elders or someone else.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I counted at least 50 people say there were in on the original thread. So far 16 have stepped up and committed to an amount.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I am one who said "I'm in" but haven't committed to an amount. That's because there seems to be a wide variance of opinion in what the money will go towards, ranging primarily from billboard to statue to scholarship to money for charities. Those things make a difference to me in terms of how much I'd be willing to give. And if no decision is imminent, I can give the money to the UConn Foundation myself. It was/is a very good idea to do this, but someone needs to take the lead on what "this" is imo.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'll donate $ 100, but we do need clarification

Reaction Score
I will contribute $100.

Although it is truly a thankless task to take on organizing something like this, I will say it anyway - thanks to those spearheading this effort.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I am one who said "I'm in" but haven't committed to an amount. That's because there seems to be a wide variance of opinion in what the money will go towards, ranging primarily from billboard to statue to scholarship to money for charities. Those things make a difference to me in terms of how much I'd be willing to give. And if no decision is imminent, I can give the money to the UConn Foundation myself. It was/is a very good idea to do this, but someone needs to take the lead on what "this" is imo.
"This" is very hard to define before you know what kind of dollar figure you're talking about. People were all over a statue or a billboard but then reality hit. A statue isn't practical because it's unlikely UConn would let us put up a $10,000 statue anywhere where they want a $100,000 or $250,000 statue. The billboard had a big backing, but it's looking like something that would actually cost more $25,000. Based on current numbers, we'll be lucky to reach $7,500.

Please put your thinking caps on to figure out what this 'gift' will be. At this point, I can't see it being anything other than a donation in his honor. If people have better ideas, spit them out. I would love it to be something that he totally appreciates, gives some thanks to him and is a cool idea. Haven't really heard anything yet. I'm sure he would be honored if there was a $7500 donation to his charity if we can't think of anything better.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
im waiting to see more info. i think while a statue is a great thought, its out there goal wise. my 2 cents was a billboard being a great idea becuase we want many casual fans and just ct ppl to see it and understand what he ment to the state. i think the school in time will take care of a statue and other jc stuff.

Reaction Score
"This" is very hard to define before you know what kind of dollar figure you're talking about. Based on current numbers, we'll be lucky to reach $7,500.

How much Jack Daniels can $7,500 buy? I think Coach would be content with that.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
"This" is very hard to define before you know what kind of dollar figure you're talking about. People were all over a statue or a billboard but then reality hit. A statue isn't practical because it's unlikely UConn would let us put up a $10,000 statue anywhere where they want a $100,000 or $250,000 statue. The billboard had a big backing, but it's looking like something that would actually cost more $25,000. Based on current numbers, we'll be lucky to reach $7,500.

Please put your thinking caps on to figure out what this 'gift' will be. At this point, I can't see it being anything other than a donation in his honor. If people have better ideas, spit them out. I would love it to be something that he totally appreciates, gives some thanks to him and is a cool idea. Haven't really heard anything yet. I'm sure he would be honored if there was a $7500 donation to his charity if we can't think of anything better.
Yes, it looks like statue and billboard are out now. And it looks like we're leaning towards a donation of some type. If it helps the planning, I'd be in for $100, but I'd still like to know where it's going.

I had two additional thoughts, very different from each other. First, if we truly want a "retirement gift," as in something he can enjoy in his retirement, how about something like a really nice set of ocean kayaks that he and Pat (and their family and guests) can enjoy and use from their home in Madison? I know, I know, in a way it's silly to buy the guy anything like that, because he has more money than any of us can likely fathom and could obviously buy whatever he wants. But it would be a cool, useful and lasting gift that he would be likely to remember, and it would be somewhat unique as among the thousands that will be contributed in various ways. Or, a really nice set of beach cruiser bikes for them to cruise around the shoreline, and give him a reasonable and safer alternative to the road bike on which he suffered his recent accident. Just trying to think of something useful, different and realistic.

The other thought is to establish some sort of scholarship to honor him, maybe for a kid from a single-parent home who fits certain other criteria that we could agree upon and define. But the problem with scholarships is that they require someone to oversee them, and I don't see that being feasible on our own. We would need to contribute to one that is administered by someone else.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Yes, it looks like statue and billboard are out now. And it looks like we're leaning towards a donation of some type. If it helps the planning, I'd be in for $100, but I'd still like to know where it's going.

I had two additional thoughts, very different from each other. First, if we truly want a "retirement gift," as in something he can enjoy in his retirement, how about something like a really nice set of ocean kayaks that he and Pat (and their family and guests) can enjoy and use from their home in Madison? I know, I know, in a way it's silly to buy the guy anything like that, because he has more money than any of us can likely fathom and could obviously buy whatever he wants. But it would be a cool, useful and lasting gift that he would be likely to remember, and it would be somewhat unique as among the thousands that will be contributed in various ways. Or, a really nice set of beach cruiser bikes for them to cruise around the shoreline, and give him a reasonable and safer alternative to the road bike on which he suffered his recent accident. Just trying to think of something useful, different and realistic.

The other thought is to establish some sort of scholarship to honor him, maybe for a kid from a single-parent home who fits certain other criteria that we could agree upon and define. But the problem with scholarships is that they require someone to oversee them, and I don't see that being feasible on our own. We would need to contribute to one that is administered by someone else.
I had heard a while back that JC was selling the house in Madison (maybe someone can confirm?). Also, if JC wanted kayaks, he's already have them. Just saying. I'm starting to like the painting idea that someone just posted. It's personal and more in our price range and logistically a lot easier to pull together.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I had heard a while back that JC was selling the house in Madison (maybe someone can confirm?). Also, if JC wanted kayaks, he's already have them. Just saying. I'm starting to like the painting idea that someone just posted. It's personal and more in our price range and logistically a lot easier to pull together.
Hadn't heard that about the Madison house. Could be. I know that's where he was riding his bike when he was injured recently. Yes, it is true of any useful gift: He could buy it himself. The ol' "what-do-you-get-the-man-who-has (or can buy)-everything?" dilemma. That can be said about everything other than charitable donations, a scholarship or some type of memorial (e.g., billboard, portrait, plaque, statue, etc.). Each of those has drawbacks, too. Charitable donations, although certainly worthy and appreciated, won't stand out; scholarships would be too tough to administer on our own; a memorial, while nice, is not terribly useful.

I was just trying to think of things that hadn't been mentioned, because we seem to have a problem arriving at anything close to a consensus, and momentum appears to be waning because of that imo.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
24 people in for $3,700. Keep it coming! And I guess, let's get some new more realistic ideas.

Reaction Score
24 people in for $3,700. Keep it coming! And I guess, let's get some new more realistic ideas.
Well, here's my two cents...

There are over 2500 members here. Everybody should be able to swing $20. Assuming even HALF of the total membership, that's $25K right there. Meaning a billboard is hardly out of reach. Furthermore, pledging the money doesn't cost a penny.

So, for a billboard, I'm in for $100. But only for that.

Reaction Score

Apparently I can edit the title - feel free to comment here if you wish.

Somewhat surprised we don't have more pledged at this point, but whatever the decision is I'm in for $200.

Reaction Score
I'll go $100. Who is collecting.

Shouldn't someone open a paypal account?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I think the best, most-lasting thing would be a donation towards the practice facility through the UConn Foundation.

It's not as flashy as a kayak or as a billboard, but it shows how much folks really care for the program he built.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Even though Fishy and I talked about shutting this down with lack of support, you are almost to $5000 with 31 people in. I'll keep collecting offers for now. But you might not get daily updates. Again, if you don't get a PM from me, I haven't recorded your offer (or I got confused and forgot to PM you - either way, let me know).

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Is there any way to post a poll with the top ideas for the gift so we can decide on a direction? (either from the entire Yard or just those who've committed to contribute?) What are the main ideas? Statue, billboard, painting, gift to new practice facility or Calhoun's cardiac charity? The billboard idea has lost luster for me due to the cost and once it's gone, it's gone, unlike another type of gift or donation. Maybe once people know the direction, they'll commit to joining in. Pretty surprised that only 31 people have signed on out of the thousands of members. No contribution is too small.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How about a poll? Leave it open a week or two and then we'd be have a decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom