Jaylin Hunter wins state championship | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jaylin Hunter wins state championship

Reaction Score
3 of the 4 semi-finalists in girls Class S were Catholic schools. How can those small towns compete against schools that recruit?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
3 of the 4 semi-finalists in girls Class S were Catholic schools. How can those small towns compete against schools that recruit?

That's been the case for years. A small number of MIAA schools are Catholic, but the state tournament is dominated by catholic schools.

Reaction Score
They can't. Football is just as bad. St Joe's playing in S and M is a joke. They roster 100 kids meanwhile you have Rocky Hill or something with 30 kids on the roster.

C

Chief00

Nice moment. But east their ilk have no business being in the public school state tournament.

That’s the type of attitude we need to change in CT HS basketball and football. Too many rules that punish good programs and enable bad programs to the point that the bad is rewarded and the good is punished.

Reaction Score
East Catholic was the only parochial school to make the finals.[/QUOTE]

They just had some bad recruiting years

Too many class schedule tours

Reaction Score
That’s the type of attitude we need to change in CT HS basketball and football. Too many rules that punish good programs and enable bad programs to the point that the bad is rewarded and the good is punished.
By getting good you mean cheating, right? Because recruiting is illegal by CIAC rules but all the good private schools do it.

Reaction Score
Catholic schools aren't limited to kids in their own town. They may not recruit, but the best teams at a Catholic school have kids driving miles to play for the better There

Reaction Score
A few of the ct catholic schools do recruit. Come on be serious. Why would some of these kids travel ridiculous miles? Is it because of their strong Christian faith? I highly doubt it.

Reaction Score
If the Catholic high schools have such a huge recruitment advantage, how is it that the other Div I Catholic schools aren’t dominating the divisision? It would seem as though there should be, in many years, an all-Catholic final.
I guess there’s no need to consider the coaching ability of East’s head coach, Luke Reilly and the fact that the public schools have, in many cases, twice the enrollment ( East 650, Danbury 2,941, Trumbull 2,151, East Hartford 1,649, etc). It all comes down to unfair recruitment allegations —which are all they are!!

C

Chief00

By good you mean cheating, right? Because recruiting is illegal by CIAC rules but all the good private schools do it.

Have no idea how you draw that “cheating” conclusion? Must be something in your water? At any rate, Chief was referring about too stringent limits on practice (Geno has brought that up on more than one occasion when he’s asked why he doesn’t recruit more CT girls). Also, when you run a competent program and win, they move you up a division. And remember the football score rules - punishing good teams for scoring.
The rules protect the poorly managed programs.
As for recruiting, my point wasn’t about that. But, if you don’t think non Catholic schools recruit, you are living in an illusion. Chief can give numerous examples. Heck, New London Boys basketball recruits way beyond state lines into DMV territory.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
If the Catholic high schools have such a huge recruitment advantage, how is it that the other Div I Catholic schools aren’t dominating the divisision? It would seem as though there should be, in many years, an all-Catholic final.
I guess there’s no need to consider the coaching ability of East’s head coach, Luke Reilly and the fact that the public schools have, in many cases, twice the enrollment ( East 650, Danbury 2,941, Trumbull 2,151, East Hartford 1,649, etc). It all comes down to unfair recruitment allegations —which are all they are!!

Trying to compare easts enrollment to a public like they have a similar base to pull talent form is either obtuse or intellectually dishonest.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

They did when they let trinity kolbe play s and m every year.

When I played the M bracket was jokingly called The Kolbe invitational.

Reaction Score
Mass has a catholic school only state tourney. Their recruiting base is way bigger than even a LL or class 5 like Windsor.
That's not true. There are 4 divisions but there isn't a Catholic school only state tournament.

Reaction Score
Lol yeah the budget is built in to Luke’s contract that’s why he has to teach at Glastonbury. Luke would win anywhere he goes

Did I say he was making 100k a year? No, he does make more than your public coaches though, I'm sure

Reilly is a good coach. He wouldn't win nearly as much if he wasn't recruiting.

Talent is talent. Doesn't matter who the coach is

Reaction Score
Have no idea how you draw that “cheating” conclusion? Must be something in your water? At any rate, Chief was referring about too stringent limits on practice (Geno has brought that up on more than one occasion when he’s asked why he doesn’t recruit more CT girls). Also, when you run a competent program and win, they move you up a division. And remember the football score rules - punishing good teams for scoring.
The rules protect the poorly managed programs.
As for recruiting, my point wasn’t about that. But, if you don’t think non Catholic schools recruit, you are living in an illusion. Chief can give numerous examples. Heck, New London Boys basketball recruits way beyond state lines into DMV territory.
New London sure does. When my son was playing youth football he was constantly being asked by his youth coaches to go to NLHS via their Magnet School. He was told they hold a certain number of spots for athletes. One of his teammates did go but only stayed 1/2 a year and came back to the public HS in the town he lives in.

Reaction Score
Trying to compare easts enrollment to a public like they have a similar base to pull talent form is either obtuse or intellectually dishonest.
Discontinuing the effect East Catholic coaching has on the results achieved and discounting the lack of success achieved by other Div I Catholic high schools that flly in the face of your argument, as well as depending on your unsubstantiated recruitment allegations.....seems far more “intellectually dishonest”>

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Discontinuing the effect East Catholic coaching has on the results achieved and discounting the lack of success achieved by other Div I Catholic high schools that flly in the face of your argument, as well as depending on your unsubstantiated recruitment allegations.....seems far more “intellectually dishonest”>

What?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
They won and let them enjoy their victory without the nastiness.

They play by the rules in place by the CIAC.

Reaction Score
New London sure does. When my son was playing youth football he was constantly being asked by his youth coaches to go to NLHS via their Magnet School. He was told they hold a certain number of spots for athletes. One of his teammates did go but only stayed 1/2 a year and came back to the public HS in the town he lives in.

It’s not just New London either in the ECC, Ledyard also takes full advantage of the Vo-Ag program to bring kids in from nearby towns

Reaction Score
You apparently don't know about this.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This thread is so BY...
1552842218695.png

Congratulations Jaylin on a great game and a championship. Hope to see you in Storrs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How are the divisions determined?
They made little sense to me .
Shelton which was LL for football played Wamogo in Div 3 .
New Canaan and LL school in football is Div 4 the same Division as Ansonia.
Connecticut has gone mad
Also it seems Division 1 with a couple of exceptions was a Catholic school tourney
It almost looks like schools place themselves in the Division they want to play in.

Reaction Score
How are the divisions determined?
They made little sense to me .
Shelton which was LL for football played Wamogo in Div 3 .
New Canaan and LL school in football is Div 4 the same Division as Ansonia.
Connecticut has gone mad
Also it seems Division 1 with a couple of exceptions was a Catholic school tourney
It almost looks like schools place themselves in the Division they want to play in.

Boys basketball: CIAC releases playoff divisions, formulas for 2018-19 season

>>In a statement released on Wednesday afternoon, the CIAC divulged its transparent process of how the 183 schools that have the sport will be ranked for the upcoming season. Certain criteria was used by the CIAC boys basketball committee, with approval from the CIAC Board of Control.

The criteria is as follows: Each school’s boys’ enrollment from the previous year (in this case, the current school year); success in league play during the season over a three-year period; and success in CIAC tournament over a three-year period, but only for teams that have at least 25 male students attending from beyond its geographical district.<<

Reaction Score
It’s not just New London either in the ECC, Ledyard also takes full advantage of the Vo-Ag program to bring kids in from nearby towns
yeah there are plenty of schools that cheat. Berlin got caught. Ansonia definitely has kids coming in from other towns. New London and Ledyard have always pulled kids from other schools. If the CIAC had any real oversight they'd put a stop to it. I don't see it changing any time soon, though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom