Jay Williams as a color commentator | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Jay Williams as a color commentator

Reaction Score
Not based on the eye test looking around the arena. For those who are saying well a lot of the people in red may have been Louisville fans, I will say the eye test walking around the concourse was that they were predominantly Indiana fans. They showed up in force, good for them. They also were arrogant and a little obnoxious at the start of the game and absolutely crushed at the end of the game. So basically they were the perfect opposing fan.
U Mad Bro Drinking GIF by Travis
Most of the Indiana fans in my section were totally fine. There were also a handful of Texas fans, also nice. There were probably 8 total Indiana fans in the section though that were just absolutely awful. Screaming "Indiana" during the national anthem. Screaming at Donovan "you suck. You're so ugly!". Just bizarre stuff. But again, 90% were great.

I didn't see a single Louisville fan in the arena. Not one. I assume there were a hundred of them somewhere, but I didn't find them. Pretty sad what that program has become.

Reaction Score
I agree about the potential ring for Caron and that would have resulted in no ring for Duke in 2001 too.

It still amazes me that some sports announcers make so much money since for the most part they are more an annoyance than actual contribution to the game. No hate for guys like Joe Buck and others. We do have our mute button. when it gets too much for our personal tastes which I use often.
Is this what the networks want, i.e. non-stop noise even if it has nothing to do with the game? I remember watching a replay of a point in a tennis match from years ago (probably many years) where the announcers didn't say a word during the point that went on for 40 or more shots and maybe 2 minutes or more. It was divine.

Reaction Score
His NBA contract prohibited riding motorcycles but he did so anyway and the injuries he suffered in an accident were so severe they ended his career. The team (Bulls?) paid off his contract, perhaps to avoid the possible bad publicity that would come with holding him to the contract's terms.

I mentioned it because it seems to illustrate his arrogance and sense of self being more important than living within the terms of the contract. Fits with what others have said about his comments being so heavily slanted about himself.
Quick thing I found online said they pd him partial value or 3MM not the full value to help offset costs of his dr bills & rehab. The motorcycle riding probably also voided his/their insurance coverage.

Reaction Score
Would've loved to have seen what Calhoun could've done with Travis Best, he was a beast.
Pretty sure Best went to GTech first then we got Ollie as a very good plan B. I'm not a huge recruiting guy, but I believe Calhoun's first option was a Best and Brunson (Temple) backcourt. The latter being the son of the guy currently on the Knicks.
Also I am old.

Reaction Score
Jay Williams has come a long way since he first broke in, he's always going to have the ESPN/Duke baggage but I've got confidence that he'll continue to improve, as has been pointed out he did do his homework, and despite what some have said he DID acknowledge Castle being out and put the Huskies firmly in the threat to repeat category. Besides, it was Goodman who clownishly claimed IUs starting 5 compared with UConn's...and that loser has doubled down since yesterday's game

Reaction Score
I’d love confirmation on this from folks who were at MSG. Were they all IU fans, or were some Texas and Louisville fans just hating on UConn and rooting for an easier potential opponent?
There were not many Texas or Louisville fans there, For the Texas.Lville games mist of the fans that were still there were UCONN or Indiana fans staying to see the game.

Reaction Score
Pretty weird take. Dignity and handsomeness? From a color guy on a college hoop broadcast.
I like to keep ya’ll on your toes. There’s a method to my madness. Let’s go Huskies!!!!

Reaction Score
"It would not surprise me if they ended up back in the FF and championship game, they are that good" - Jay Williams just now during IU Louisville

Reaction Score
Pretty sure Best went to GTech first then we got Ollie as a very good plan B. I'm not a huge recruiting guy, but I believe Calhoun's first option was a Best and Brunson (Temple) backcourt. The latter being the son of the guy currently on the Knicks.
Also I am old.
That is my memory as well. I thought that Best committed to GT and Cremins first. But my memory can't always be trusted anymore.

Reaction Score
I did want him to oause some but he had a lot of great things to say about Uconn. I can stand to hear that all day if that's the topic. Lol

Reaction Score
Just wondering if anyone else was as annoyed with him as I was. Holy crap, stop talking already! Let the game breathe. I'm putting the game on mute tomorrow night.

Did Calhoun really take Tony Robertson over him? Hard to believe that.

Was it he or Ravech that mentioned Clingan "is driving around in a Rolls Royce"? A friend of mine texts me saying, "Clingan has a Rolls Royce? Wtf." Totally stupid comment that gives everyone watching a bad impression of Clingan that couldn't be further from the way Clingan is. As everyone who read that very long article in the New Haven Register written by Mike Anthony knows, that's not the story. Clingan was in LA with other UConn athletes to kick off Marc D'Amelio's NIL collective. He and Victor Rosa wanted to go to a mall and were going to Uber there. D'Amelio throws Clingan the keys to a convertible Rolls Royce coupe and tells them to take that.

It's hard to believe everything commentators say.
I thought he was fine, less annoying than most. Dis his homework, knew the players etc. announcers are so bad in general and rarely do homework. Very complimentary of tristan and several others. Would you rather have bill walton talking about rivers?

Reaction Score
I thought he was fine, less annoying than most. Dis his homework, knew the players etc. announcers are so bad in general and rarely do homework. Very complimentary of tristan and several others. Would you rather have bill walton talking about rivers?
Bill Walton is in Looney Tunes land!

Reaction Score
Unless yesterday was a one-off disaster(I was at the game) I don't get what issue you guys have with him other than being a Dukie. I thought he was great tonight and that's my first time hearing him do color commentary.

caw

Reaction Score
JC would have offers out to two players for the same position and let them know the first to accept would be the one he took.
Another good example was KO over Travis Best.

Yeah, he did that a lot. It almost always worked out well.

Williams pretty much said that is what happened. The funny part was when his broadcasting partner asked why he went with Duke over UConn right after that and Williams kind of froze for a second before going on a K side bit and then saying Calhoun would have been just as good (paraphrasing). Basically Tony jumped on the offer first and Williams is still upset he had to play for K.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom