Jay Williams as a color commentator | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jay Williams as a color commentator

Reaction Score
The red stood out and was noticeable from the jump but as the gameplay started you could hear UConn fans loud and plenty. Personally I thought my section in the 200s was evenly mixed. Don't really think it was the case of Louisville fans(red) being mixed in, were fans really buying tickets for both games in large numbers? I doubt it.
The UConn fans were loud every time we went on a run to bump the lead from around 7 to 12 or 14 and threatened to blow them out. Then when IU would go on a run to cut it down to about 7, the crowd would get roughly about as loud.

Reaction Score
FWIW the lower bowls were heavily IU fans. There were very few Texas or Louisville fans.

A lot of lower sections, including mine, were 80% IU. The upper sections were more UConn. Tomorrows tickets will be cheap…
Good. Old school. That's how UConn rolls.

Champagne taste on a beer budget.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
FWIW the lower bowls were heavily IU fans. There were very few Texas or Louisville fans.

A lot of lower sections, including mine, were 80% IU. The upper sections were more UConn. Tomorrows tickets will be cheap…
I would say it was 60/40 UConn fans. Every single IU fan was in red so stood out pretty well.

I don’t think I saw more than a handful of Texas or Louisville fans there for our game, and the ones I saw were all Texas.

Reaction Score
He’s clearly talented and can be a good color guy. Just really annoying to listen to at times - taking credit when IU ran a play everyone could see coming and way too much “kids these days” stuff

Reaction Score
Really bad. Very surprised. His in-studio commentary decent, but this was something else.

Ravech did a good job of ragging on him and keeping it entertaining.
I believe in the first half Jay said something like "I'm wordy with words" and Ravech ragged on him. Was a ridiculous comment and demonstrates William's diarrhea of the mouth.

Reaction Score
He was awful today. And his comment about the crowd feeling more red was interesting considering uconn outnumbered IU fans

There were IU fans all over MSG. They showed up, I think it was 55/45 IU

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He did consistently point out Indiana wasn't matching UConn's intensity and Indiana wasn't running coherent sets like UConn.

He was complimentary about Newton.

He was still overall awful and I fully expected a thread about his performance on the BY.

Reaction Score
He did consistently point out Indiana wasn't matching UConn's intensity and Indiana wasn't running coherent sets like UConn.

He was complimentary about Newton.

He was still overall awful and I fully expected a thread about his performance on the BY.
Keanu Reeves GIF

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
For a guy who had a radio show, he's not great on the ad-lib. Does it seem believable that but for Tony Robertson, he would have played for UConn (and likely got Caron a ring)? Sounded like a thing to say just because you are working a UConn game.

Reaction Score
For a guy who had a radio show, he's not great on the ad-lib. Does it seem believable that but for Tony Robertson, he would have played for UConn (and likely got Caron a ring)? Sounded like a thing to say just because you are working a UConn game.
Jay Williams and Jim Calhoun have both said it, seems like a weird thing to make up.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Just wondering if anyone else was as annoyed with him as I was. Holy crap, stop talking already! Let the game breathe. I'm putting the game on mute tomorrow night.

Did Calhoun really take Tony Robertson over him? Hard to believe that.

Was it he or Ravech that mentioned Clingan "is driving around in a Rolls Royce"? A friend of mine texts me saying, "Clingan has a Rolls Royce? Wtf." Totally stupid comment that gives everyone watching a bad impression of Clingan that couldn't be further from the way Clingan is. As everyone who read that very long article in the New Haven Register written by Mike Anthony knows, that's not the story. Clingan was in LA with other UConn athletes to kick off Marc D'Amelio's NIL collective. He and Victor Rosa wanted to go to a mall and were going to Uber there. D'Amelio throws Clingan the keys to a convertible Rolls Royce coupe and tells them to take that.

It's hard to believe everything commentators say.
Me but not as much as my wife.

Reaction Score
There was a lot of red, but it is more that the red stood out and the blue all UConn fans were wearing blended into the background. There was more UConn fans there for sure, but an impressive turnout from Indiana.
Was at MSG a few years back when UConn played IU. They bring fans. Was a great atmosphere.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
We represented

The lower bowl was split between the teams. We had our fair share. The upper
bowl was all UCONN

Have no idea about television announces

Reaction Score
Randomly saying that maybe Wagner could transfer to Louisville bc grandad Milt was inappropriate & bizarre

Piling on couple of indiana players for having no motor repeatedly was excessive

Taking credit when he called to keep posting up karaban was egotistical (as is most of his shtick)

Reaction Score
We genuinely considered muting the television, very difficult to watch.. Unfortunately stuck with him for one more game now?

Reaction Score
I can’t believe Calhoun picked Robertson over Williams. A rare error by the GOAT.

Reaction Score
Lol. The amount of folks who get annoyed with sports announcers is funny to me. Who cares. I think some of you need to watch on mute if it ruins the game that much.

Reaction Score
Talked too much but:

1) He did his homework. Knew the strengths & weaknesses of the players on both teams.
2) Did a great job of calling out both what happened and what should have happened.
3) Had legit chemistry with Ravech.

As he gets more reps he'll learn to let the game breathe a little more. All-in-all, though, that is an excellent pairing for college ball. Made the game feel big IMO.
I think you take some stuff with a grain of salt but he does know basketball and called some oncourt stuff out, mostly about Indiana, that was accurate. He bad mouthed NIL impacts but I also got the feeling that much of that was about resenting it wasn’t there during his college days.

Reaction Score
Didn't Williams say that Castle could end up being the best UConn guard ever? I hope so but that's an outrageous statement to make at this point with UConn's history. Or maybe he was talking about future NBA success?
Castle is an excellent player. I won’t compare him with the UConn legends other to say if he gets his games in healthy, he will be one himself.

Reaction Score
I agree about the potential ring for Caron and that would have resulted in no ring for Duke in 2001 too.

It still amazes me that some sports announcers make so much money since for the most part they are more an annoyance than actual contribution to the game. No hate for guys like Joe Buck and others. We do have our mute button. when it gets too much for our personal tastes which I use often.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom