OT: - Jay Bilas is done with Lavar Ball -- you should be too | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Jay Bilas is done with Lavar Ball -- you should be too

Reaction Score
doesnt ESPN give this guy a platform to act like a spectacle ?
That First Take appearance validated him. Now he's untouchable and out of control.

Every word he speaks is printed, everywhere he goes (basketball wise) is documented. Negative or positive he is here to stay, thanks to ESPN.

In fact I don't hate him, dislike him or resent him. I ignore him even with the amount of coverage he gets. The bigger issue is will there be other behind him, knowing media platforms are willing to give face time for similar antics? We are now in the age of Jerry Springer type entertainment followed by a soon to happen Ball reality show.

Just saying loud mouths are now the in thing, it can even get you all the way to the very top. ;)

Reaction Score
Meh! He does a bunch of outrageous thing but now the feminists are calling for his head because he finally crossed the line by disrespecting a female ref. Now suddenly hes a jackass and not funny anymore. WEll when was he funny? Hes been playing the media from day 1 and they were all slurping it up but now that hes crossed the line with someone of the opposite gender hes gone too far. Oh please! Bilas is just as full of it as the Lavar and the rest of the media.

Please, he's a total idiot what's funny about this guy? There's nothing funny he's a joke of a man. Just go back to the fact he took his team off the floor because of HIM. That's fair? That's ridiculous and totally selfish as we all know he is. But Jay is full of it too because why, he's right? Watch his kid who plays for him on the AAU team, it's all about his kid scoring and shooting and not getting back on D so he can get lay ups, and ole' defense but he won't get yelled at, another kid did though he made fun of a kid who walked off the court with some body movements. Guys a total D**k and bad for the youth he teaches and the game itself.

Reaction Score
Exactly, criticize the people giving him a platform to act like an idiot. ESPN knows that people will tune in to hear what he has to say.

So you're arguing that instead of instead of telling people they shouldn't give him any attention, which would give ESPN a reason to stop covering him; he should instead publicly criticize his employer for covering someone they know people will tune in to watch. Wow.

Reaction Score
In the words of the late Thurman Munson referencing Reggie Jackson's comment "he sturs the cup" Munson said "There isn't enough mustard in all coney island to cover that hotdog." fast forward to today: LBALL is the current day hotdog

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
People act like he controls what ESPN airs. It's quite possible he's voicing his displeasure with his own network without publicly and directly killing them, which some people could learn from.

You mean like Bill Simmons?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Lavar seems to just be a promoter while Lonzo is the brand itself. Don't think Lonzo should sign any shoe deals as regardless this is a good example of what these athletes should do themselves in the future without all the hoopla.

Don't necessarily agree with that. He doesn't have anything if there isn't all this hoopla. That's the only reason BBB is even talked about.

Reaction Score
Aside from the misogyny, which is his biggest point and cannot be ignored in this specific argument, almost every other negative point he makes about Lavar can be said about many other people we love to hate, yet Bilas and the rest of espn slurp them on a regular basis and would never call them out for being slimy.

Phrases like "snake oil salesman" "only out for himself" "using kids for his own gain"? Remind you of anyone that Bilas and the rest of espn love and promote endlessly?

Reaction Score
So you're arguing that instead of instead of telling people they shouldn't give him any attention, which would give ESPN a reason to stop covering him; he should instead publicly criticize his employer for covering someone they know people will tune in to watch. Wow.

Who is giving him attention? ESPN is giving him attention, Bilas wrote an article about him. That's giving him attention, you and I arent giving him attention. And yes, if anyone deserves to be criticized for being a complete hypocritical organization it should be ESPN

Reaction Score
Pretty mediocre writing. Thought Bilas would be better.
The guy is a clown, and I have been giggling at all the attention all of the ESPN talk shows have given this guy because they are selling ad dollars.

But I do love him for not being anybody's piss bucket boy.
By that I mean that the guy has no restraints and can say whatever he pleases, and, for the most part, he does. He's like connor or floyd - they don't answer to anybody, because nobody can fire them, or blackball them, or black list them, or demote them, or ruin their careers. And that's what Jay hates about him - he's not PC and he can't be made to be PC.
Is he biased against women? IDK, I guess I haven't met any man who isn't, really, when you get down to it. Lot of guys just say the PC thing and are really good at minding their tongues.
LaVar makes it more interesting, and for that reason alone I hope he doesn't go away. If you agree that he's a clown, why let his clown comments bother you?

What is it nowadays where everybody is so intent on silencing divergent speech?

Reaction Score
Who is giving him attention? ESPN is giving him attention, Bilas wrote an ****** article about him. That's giving him attention, you and I arent giving him attention. And yes, if anyone deserves to be criticized for being a complete hypocritical organization it should be ESPN

lolz, okay.

Reaction Score
What's really amusing is that his shirts are so low budget.

Jay Bilas finds the Kardashians and car wrecks to be amusement and spectacles? He might have his own issues, too.

Reaction Score
The guy is a clown, and I have been giggling at all the attention all of the ESPN talk shows have given this guy because they are selling ad dollars.

By that I mean that the guy has no restraints and can say whatever ***** he pleases, and, for the most part, he does. He's like connor or floyd - they don't answer to anybody, because nobody can fire them, or blackball them, or black list them, or demote them, or ruin their careers. And that's what Jay hates about him - he's not PC and he can't be made to be PC.
Is he biased against women? IDK, I guess I haven't met any man who isn't, really, when you get down to it. Lot of guys just say the PC thing and are really good at minding their tongues.
LaVar makes it more interesting, and for that reason alone I hope he doesn't go away. If you agree that he's a clown, why let his clown comments bother you?

That's the part that gets me - if we're going to broadly label Lavar as misogynistic, fine, but you had better be willing to say the same about a lot of other people because I can assure you there is a long list of players and coaches in the NBA that would be OK with not seeing another female ref ever again. I'm all for equality but let's not lose sight of the visceral component of the human experience. Not everybody adapts to change at the same rate and ESPN leads the world in vilifying people who lack polish. I'm generally OK with ESPN being a liberal news outlet and pushing social issues, but this is the type of thing that annoys people. They literally invented a story and now they're in the midst of dissecting their own creation with, what else, a social tie-in.

I never found him interesting and would be perfectly fine never hearing about him again. Unfortunately, somebody who isn't at all relevant to the sports world said something mildly controversial and now we'll rev up the social justice engines once again. There are plenty of stories that merit think pieces - like the Kaepernick situation - without ESPN going on a scavenger hunt for them.

Reaction Score

By that I mean that the guy has no restraints and can say whatever ***** he pleases, and, for the most part, he does. He's like connor or floyd - they don't answer to anybody, because nobody can fire them, or blackball them, or black list them, or demote them, or ruin their careers. And that's what Jay hates about him - he's not PC and he can't be made to be PC.

Has nothing to do with political correctness, which means being polite. However, I agree with your other points.

Reaction Score
Has nothing to do with political correctness, which means being polite.
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you here.
Ironically, saying political correctness is "being polite" is a politically correct way of looking at it.

Political correctness isn't about being polite. It's about forcibly shutting down opposing opinion, especially if that opposing opinion offends you.

For Bilas, this was all about the women refs. That's it. The rest is just surfeit that he's throwing in to try to build the mountain on top of the mole hill.

The truth is, most NBA players and coaches would prefer not to have female refs. Same goes for every major men's sport. And most every player and coach would like to say that publicly, but they can't, because they would be blackballed, lose money, lose their jobs, and so on.

What bothers Bilas about Ball is that the guy is untouchable, and can't be controlled.

Think about it. Jay Bilas' comes to the conclusion that he's "done" with L. Ball. So what does he do? He writes an article all about L. Ball and then publishes it for millions to read. Does that sound like "done"? Sounds more like "stalking" than it does like "done." The point of the article wasn't that Bilas was "done," the point of the article was that it was a hit piece that was intended to try to get other people to be "done" with L. Ball. In other words, Bilas was not only not "done," he was specifically NOT done and specifically still involved with the intention of damaging L.Ball's popularity/notoriety. Bilas is a liar for presenting his hit piece as some sort of public announcement of his doneness.

I could not care less about L. Ball the man. But I love L. Ball the in-your-face, not backing down public character who can get away with saying what a lot of people are thinking.

I happen to agree with Jay on the female ref issue - refs should be judged on how well they ref, not how they look. But, unlike Jay, I have no desire to PC people into silence to further my position on that.

Regarding Kapernick, I love that situation as well. What you have is a renegade man of color stirring the equality pot, thereby causing a decrease in revenues in the NFL, which means he is taking money out of the pockets of his black peers in the NFL, as well as the white owners. What it's doing is forcing to the forefront the racial divide between pro athletes and the people who watch them. He's off the reservation, and he can't be controlled either. And I love him for that. Just like L. Ball, however, I happen to think his assessment of the facts is rather shabby, but I wouldn't let my disagreement with his conclusion impact my appreciation of his willingness to speak plainly.

What's most interesting about the Kaepernick situation is the dichotomy of silence that has cropped up all around him. Couple black guys knelt with him. What were their names again? Not in the same universe as brave as Kaep, who had to have known his career would be shortened/lessened by his decision. They're not in the headlines. Other than those guys, what about the hundreds of other of millionaire blacks in the NFL? Silence. Or, maybe a tweet of nominal support. And most of those guys probably completely agree with Kap and his message. But the money. Oh the sweet money. It's buying their silence.
And the owners? You know they want to to publicly blast Kap and throw him out of the league. But they can't. Because they don't want to risk losing the fans who support him or who would rally to his support if the owners did anything overt to injure Kap's career. The money. It's just as sweet to them.

So there's a black man with funky hair who is the white elephant in the room and the white owners and the black athletes are tip toeing around him and avoiding eye contact and hoping it will go away so as not to upset the apple [money] cart.

And I think it's beautiful.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Who is giving him attention? ESPN is giving him attention, Bilas wrote an ****** article about him. That's giving him attention, you and I arent giving him attention. And yes, if anyone deserves to be criticized for being a complete hypocritical organization it should be ESPN

Yes we are. We read the article, and are now commenting about Lavar on a public forum.

Reaction Score
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you here.
Ironically, saying political correctness is "being polite" is a politically correct way of looking at it.

Political correctness isn't about being polite. It's about forcibly shutting down opposing opinion, especially if that opposing opinion offends you.

For Bilas, this was all about the women refs. That's it. The rest is just surfeit that he's throwing in to try to build the mountain on top of the mole hill.

The truth is, most NBA players and coaches would prefer not to have female refs. Same goes for every major men's sport. And most every player and coach would like to say that publicly, but they can't, because they would be blackballed, lose money, lose their jobs, and so on.

What bothers Bilas about Ball is that the guy is untouchable, and can't be controlled.

Think about it. Jay Bilas' comes to the conclusion that he's "done" with L. Ball. So what does he do? He writes an article all about L. Ball and then publishes it for millions to read. Does that sound like "done"? Sounds more like "stalking" than it does like "done." The point of the article wasn't that Bilas was "done," the point of the article was that it was a hit piece that was intended to try to get other people to be "done" with L. Ball. In other words, Bilas was not only not "done," he was specifically NOT done and specifically still involved with the intention of damaging L.Ball's popularity/notoriety. Bilas is a liar for presenting his hit piece as some sort of public announcement of his doneness.

I could not care less about L. Ball the man. But I love L. Ball the in-your-face, not backing down public character who can get away with saying what a lot of people are thinking.

I happen to agree with Jay on the female ref issue - refs should be judged on how well they ref, not how they look. But, unlike Jay, I have no desire to PC people into silence to further my position on that.

Regarding Kapernick, I love that situation as well. What you have is a renegade man of color stirring the equality pot, thereby causing a decrease in revenues in the NFL, which means he is taking money out of the pockets of his black peers in the NFL, as well as the white owners. What it's doing is forcing to the forefront the racial divide between pro athletes and the people who watch them. He's off the reservation, and he can't be controlled either. And I love him for that. Just like L. Ball, however, I happen to think his assessment of the facts is rather shabby, but I wouldn't let my disagreement with his conclusion impact my appreciation of his willingness to speak plainly.

What's most interesting about the Kaepernick situation is the dichotomy of silence that has cropped up all around him. Couple black guys knelt with him. What were their names again? Not in the same universe as brave as Kaep, who had to have known his career would be shortened/lessened by his decision. They're not in the headlines. Other than those guys, what about the hundreds of other of millionaire blacks in the NFL? Silence. Or, maybe a tweet of nominal support. And most of those guys probably completely agree with Kap and his message. But the money. Oh the sweet money. It's buying their silence.
And the owners? You know they want to to publicly blast Kap and throw him out of the league. But they can't. Because they don't want to risk losing the fans who support him or who would rally to his support if the owners did anything overt to injure Kap's career. The money. It's just as sweet to them.

So there's a black man with funky hair who is the white elephant in the room and the white owners and the black athletes are tip toeing around him and avoiding eye contact and hoping it will go away so as not to upset the apple [money] cart.

And I think it's beautiful.

I can debate you without using rude or guttural terms. That is being polite. The two can co-exist. Jesus of Nazareth, Dr. King, etc. would certainly have been described as having oppositional to the status quo. They didn't need to call people degrading things to get their point across. That is what political correctness is. The ability to argue and debate without being offensive. What people have turned that definition into is another story.

But again, I agree with your main points.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I hate when men call adult grown women "girls." I don't know why it just makes me feel gross

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
If people can rationalize supporting Trump, they can rationalize supporting Lavar. They're like the same person.

Reaction Score
If people can rationalize supporting Trump, they can rationalize supporting Lavar. They're like the same person.

No, no, no. The worst thing we can do is equate relatively harmless people with actual dangerous people.

It's exactly this type of hyper-sensitivity that contributed to creating a monster like Trump. When distinction is not drawn between malice and ignorance, you risk impeding the very progress you desire.

Reaction Score
The most disturbing thing about Lavar Ball is that some people find him funny. I remember a bunch of posters on this board saying the guy is hilarious. I can care less about who he offends or what product he's hyping but it's disturbing people find him funny, there isn't a funny bone in that guy's body.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
No, no, no. The worst thing we can do is equate relatively harmless people with actual dangerous people.

It's exactly this type of hyper-sensitivity that contributed to creating a monster like Trump. When distinction is not drawn between malice and ignorance, you risk impeding the very progress you desire.

Come on over to the Pool champs. Let it out. Let it all out....

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The most disturbing thing about Lavar Ball is that some people find him funny. I remember a bunch of posters on this board saying the guy is hilarious. I can care less about who he offends or what product he's hyping but it's disturbing people find him funny, there isn't a funny bone in that guy's body.

Not a fan, but he's amusing in certain contexts, just not as a complete package. He was amusing 'rant battling' Stephen A Smith, and his WWE cameo was mildly funny. Though if these are the two areas in which he comes off OK, that should tell you something.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom