OT: - Jay Bilas is done with Lavar Ball -- you should be too | The Boneyard

OT: Jay Bilas is done with Lavar Ball -- you should be too

Reaction Score
I hope that when Lonzo gets into the real $$, he is able to leave this clown behind. He seems like a well-enough-mannered guy, and is certainly a terrific basketball player. Get your own shoe deal, play your game, make your money, and get your dad to "stay in his lane."

The NBA is a much bigger and more powerful business than Lavar can possibly imagine. Those owners are smart and powerful enough to ruin Lavar for good if he tries to step on their toes.

Reaction Score
I hope that when Lonzo gets into the real $$, he is able to leave this clown behind. He seems like a well-enough-mannered guy, and is certainly a terrific basketball player. Get your own shoe deal, play your game, make your money, and get your dad to "stay in his lane."

The NBA is a much bigger and more powerful business than Lavar can possibly imagine. Those owners are smart and powerful enough to ruin Lavar for good if he tries to step on their toes.

Agree Lonzo looks like a good kid and I hope he parlay's the cash he's making into telling dad to grow the fk up. His act is beyond pitiful and ESPN is the same for even offering him media attention as is anyone else.

The fact he took his team off the court with the lead because he received a T tells you all you need to know. He's in all of this for himself, nothing else. And to watch his other son who plays for him on the court is beyond a joke. The kid hasn't guarded a chair ever in his life - great coaching Lavar. He's a phony and the media needs to just get away from the stiff. Jay Bilas is 110% correct, please don't feed that troll!

Reaction Score
ESPN is doing this because the guy is a lightning rod. They are using him. Bilas hit the nail on the head on that one. But he wasn't very critical of ESPN for creating this reality-show where most of the viewers watch to mock Ball. I also don't get how he could even enjoy the spectacle at first knowing exactly what ESPN was doing in the first place.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This is like CNN complaining about Donald Trump. You loved it for ratings and now you hate it because he is a madman. ESPN do better, get off the moral high horse you think you have...you are a ratings machine just like any other major TV network...

Reaction Score
It's odd, no matter how many times we're given evidence to the contrary, this board still views ESPN as on congruent news organization. As if someone as intelligent as Jay Bilas is handed his opinions from the top, and he's not going to have any different take than a Scott Van Pelt, Mike Greenberg, or Jemelle Hill.

Lavar is an misogynistic .

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
In fairness to Bilas, or maybe im being too fair, but my guess is this isn't hypocritical on his end, as some are suggesting, but rather he's making it clear he doesn't approve of how ESPN handles it.

People act like he controls what ESPN airs. It's quite possible he's voicing his displeasure with his own network without publicly and directly killing them, which some people could learn from.

Reaction Score
It's time to stop giving Lonzo a pass for this circus. He is taking advantage of the public's craving to consume stupid. Lonzo needs to be his own man and put an end to this. If he willingly lets his clown father continue to act like this, then he is implicitly responsible for this as well.

Step up and be the man everyone thinks you are Lonzo. Enough is enough.

Reaction Score
Bad acts, thinks way to much of himself and he's become a lost joke and entertaining value is gone, but there will be more .

Reaction Score
doesnt ESPN give this guy a platform to act like a spectacle ?
See below...
People act like he controls what ESPN airs.

Bilas doesn't decide what ESPN covers and how they cover it, he only decides what he talks about. It's amazing how many people on this board seem to think there's one guy behind a curtain pulling all the strings and telling everyone what to think and say.

Reaction Score
It's time to stop giving Lonzo a pass for this circus. He is taking advantage of the public's craving to consume stupid. Lonzo needs to be his own man and put an end to this. If he willingly lets his clown father continue to act like this, then he is implicitly responsible for this as well.

"lets"???

What exactly do you expect him to do to "make" his father stop?

If you're asking him to disassociate himself from his father (which is much easier said than done) that's an argument you can make. But there's no guarantee that will keep Lavar from doing and saying something stupid every other day, in either scenario, Lonzo isn't in anyway responsible for what Lavar does and says at/after an AAU game.

Reaction Score
Never found him entertaining

So far, his plan is working like a charm. It is what it is.

I am a college hoops fan. This same time last year, I didn't know who Lonzo was (had heard the name) and didn't know a damn thing about Lavar. Now, Lonzo is the most well known player to come out of last season, Lavar maybe the most talked about sports-related person in America not named Lebron James, he has a brand that many recognize by name, and I now know all three of his sons by name. Mind you, I turn the channel when I hear his name. Yet, I seem to know everything he does. The sports media that blasts him, loves and needs him. They are Dr. Frankenstein and he is their monster.

Reaction Score

I don't think its possible to expect that yet. The reality of the NBA business side, and how tough this league is hasn't hit him. Let the kid collect his checks and ink his OWN shoe real. Then we'll talk

Reaction Score
See below...

Bilas doesn't decide what ESPN covers and how they cover it, he only decides what he talks about. It's amazing how many people on this board seem to think there's one guy behind a curtain pulling all the strings and telling everyone what to think and say.

He doesn't, is he not allowed to criticize his network for feeding LaVar airtime?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Lavar's antics during AAU season has been very troubling. Whether the refs have an actual vendetta against him or not he does need to handle to much better as that's just a part of the game.

He is a money maker at this point to anything he participates with though from ESPN, the Lakers, AAU tournaments, etc. So they're going to do whatever to coddle him. He's really played this game brilliantly but I hope he does tone it down some. I support the idea of the brand and we see that idea with Lonzo which is who I pay attention more too. Lavar seems to just be a promoter while Lonzo is the brand itself. Don't think Lonzo should sign any shoe deals as regardless this is a good example of what these athletes should do themselves in the future without all the hoopla.

C

chiller99.5

Hard as you try you just cant scrape all of Lavar off your shoes once youre exposed to him

Reaction Score
"lets"???

What exactly do you expect him to do to "make" his father stop?

If you're asking him to disassociate himself from his father (which is much easier said than done) that's an argument you can make. But there's no guarantee that will keep Lavar from doing and saying something stupid every other day, in either scenario, Lonzo isn't in anyway responsible for what Lavar does and says at/after an AAU game.

His father is embarrassing himself day in and day out using misogynistic and homophobic rhetoric. Is it a lot to ask a 20 year old kid to ask his father to pipe down? Yeah it is. Easier said than done? No question. But he's now crossed the line from being an entertaining clown to sexist idiot who needlessly pulls kids off a basketball court to get his "brand" out in the forefront. It's no longer funny and amusing and I don't think it's unfair to ask a 20 year old kid to ask him to pipe down.

Reaction Score
He doesn't, is he not allowed to criticize his network for feeding LaVar airtime?
Of course he is allowed to. What's your point? That he should be criticizing ESPN instead of Lavar?

His father is embarrassing himself day in and day out using misogynistic and homophobic rhetoric. Is it a lot to ask a 20 year old kid to ask his father to pipe down? Yeah it is. Easier said than done? No question. But he's now crossed the line from being an entertaining clown to sexist idiot who needlessly pulls kids off a basketball court to get his "brand" out in the forefront. It's no longer funny and amusing and I don't think it's unfair to ask a 20 year old kid to ask him to pipe down.

Well, I'd say you dialed it back a little bit here. Asking Lonzo to ask Lavar to pipe down is certainly reasonable. But you originally said "Lonzo needs to be his own man and put an end to this. If he willingly lets his clown father continue to act like this, then he is implicitly responsible for this as well."

That's over the top. If Lonzo can't make Lavar stop because Lavar is a stubborn POS, that doesn't make Lonzo less of a man. Also, I wouldn't expect him to do it publicly, that's not the best move for Lonzo unless he already knows the answer is "no", and he basically wants to publicly end the relationship to distance himself from his dad.

Reaction Score
Of course he is allowed to. What's your point? That he should be criticizing ESPN instead of Lavar?

Well, I'd say you dialed it back a little bit here. Asking Lonzo to ask Lavar to pipe down is certainly reasonable. But you originally said "Lonzo needs to be his own man and put an end to this. If he willingly lets his clown father continue to act like this, then he is implicitly responsible for this as well."

That's over the top. If Lonzo can't make Lavar stop because Lavar is a stubborn POS, that doesn't make Lonzo less of a man. Also, I wouldn't expect him to do it publicly, that's not the best move for Lonzo unless he already knows the answer is "no", and he basically wants to publicly end the relationship to distance himself from his dad.

Exactly, criticize the people giving him a platform to act like an idiot. ESPN knows that people will tune in to hear what he has to say.

Reaction Score
LaVar Ball's act isn't funny, it's dangerous

I agree with basically everything Bilas said here. I've been done with him for awhile.

What miniscule entertainment value he had at first is loooong gone in my book.

So with that, let's probably start a 5 page thread about him.
Meh! He does a bunch of outrageous thing but now the feminists are calling for his head because he finally crossed the line by disrespecting a female ref. Now suddenly hes a jackass and not funny anymore. WEll when was he funny? Hes been playing the media from day 1 and they were all slurping it up but now that hes crossed the line with someone of the opposite gender hes gone too far. Oh please! Bilas is just as full of it as the Lavar and the rest of the media.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom